Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

Comment from: cccquilter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have fainted once due to swallow syncopy. I have managed to keep from fainting the other times. This happens a couple of times a year only upon swallowing food; mostly bread products, but the time I fainted was recently and I was eating chips. I postulate that I am not eating too fast - I am swallowing too quickly for the amount of food in my mouth. It is an indescribable feeling; a feeling of rushing in my throat and chest yet no dizziness, but there is a feeling of extreme lightheadedness. If I am standing I grip the counter or whatever is close and concentrate on staying conscious. It usually works. This happens, as I said, about twice a year and I remember it happening back to my late teens or early twenties.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?