Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

Comment from: crystalbay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I've had fainting spells off and on my entire life. I even wondered if I had mild agoraphobia since these episodes only happen when I'm in public places like theaters, ball games, restaurants, etc. If I've eaten anything just before going out or while I'm out, this quickly leads to signs of fainting. The worst part of these episodes is an overwhelming feeling that I must immediately lay down flat and this is impossible in public places. I think that the anxiety of not being able to escape by lying down exacerbates my symptoms, but it's just too embarrassing to do. I live in fear that this will happen and someone will call 911 for something I know is quite temporary. It's gotten so bad that I'm unwilling to make plans to leave the house to meet friends. There are no "triggers" for these events (no pain, fear, needle pricks, bad news, stress, etc). Eating seems to be the only identifiable precursor. I do think that knowing I'm trapped and can't lay down in public places causes increased anxiety, which in turn makes things worse.

Comment from: cccquilter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have fainted once due to swallow syncopy. I have managed to keep from fainting the other times. This happens a couple of times a year only upon swallowing food; mostly bread products, but the time I fainted was recently and I was eating chips. I postulate that I am not eating too fast - I am swallowing too quickly for the amount of food in my mouth. It is an indescribable feeling; a feeling of rushing in my throat and chest yet no dizziness, but there is a feeling of extreme lightheadedness. If I am standing I grip the counter or whatever is close and concentrate on staying conscious. It usually works. This happens, as I said, about twice a year and I remember it happening back to my late teens or early twenties.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?