Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

Comment from: dinosaurluver99, 7-12 Female Published: May 13

I'm 12 I was at school and a foot ball jabbed my thumb. I didn't feel dizzy until we lined up to go inside then the world started spinning and I got dizzy I leaned on a friend next to me and closed my eyes to try to calm the dizziness but when I opened my eyes I was on the ground with every one surrounding me. Some people said I walked to another friend leaned on him the just fell. I didn't remember any of that.

Comment from: lbits, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am 38 and I have had the same problem since 2004. The doctors told me the same thing, that there is nothing they can do for me. I have been on disability since 2007.

Comment from: chandra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

While I was throwing some waste material out of my door, the door came back and got hit hard. Started bleeding a little from my thumb and index fingers. Once I washed the wound, I started feeling more pain and within few seconds I blacked out and collapsed to ground. Luckily, my family members were around and my mom sprinkled water on my face, which brought me back to consciousness. I was normal after that and running with just couple of Band-Aids after that.

Comment from: Ruth Ann, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I have a friend that started fainting at work while standing, then she had to stay at home because it was happening so often during the day. Now she faints while sitting and laying in bed. The lines in her hands have turned black. She is 44 years old and has asthma. Lost count of the doctors and tests that she has seen and been through. Anyone have any advice for where to go. Basically the doctors have said there is nothing they can do for her and told her to get started on her disability.

Comment from: Donna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have fainted on occasion and my doctor put me on Toprol XL because he said my blood pressure and heart rate was very low. That didn't work too well so he installed a pacemaker that would activate when I needed it to. I am 24 years old and would like to know what my future holds using the pacemaker.

Comment from: :), 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I found out I have syncope, because of a depletion of electrolytes. If you have the same thing, the best treatment would just to drink a Gatorade a day. I'm fine whenever I have one. If I miss it for a week or so, I will start having the blackouts and fainting spells. Hope this helps!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been fainting for probably 10 years. A doctor recently put me on Midrodrine 10 mg. and it has worked well, but on 1/11/11 I had another incident; this one was a little different. Usually I get myself right up, this time my husband heard the thud and came running - he picked me up- all was just like any other time and all is ok. I'm just trying to live my life. I want to live 'til I die.

Comment from: crystalbay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I've had fainting spells off and on my entire life. I even wondered if I had mild agoraphobia since these episodes only happen when I'm in public places like theaters, ball games, restaurants, etc. If I've eaten anything just before going out or while I'm out, this quickly leads to signs of fainting. The worst part of these episodes is an overwhelming feeling that I must immediately lay down flat and this is impossible in public places. I think that the anxiety of not being able to escape by lying down exacerbates my symptoms, but it's just too embarrassing to do. I live in fear that this will happen and someone will call 911 for something I know is quite temporary. It's gotten so bad that I'm unwilling to make plans to leave the house to meet friends. There are no "triggers" for these events (no pain, fear, needle pricks, bad news, stress, etc). Eating seems to be the only identifiable precursor. I do think that knowing I'm trapped and can't lay down in public places causes increased anxiety, which in turn makes things worse.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?