Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

Comment from: mybunnybell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My first experience was when I was 7. My parents split up. Sitting in a chair, I felt dizzy and fell out of chair but did not lose consciousness. After that, every few years if under a lot of stress, I would feel dizzy and would watch my eyes roll back in head. I would awake and find myself on floor. No idea how long I was out. This year (April 2012), I was under immense stress due to a job-related issue. I awoke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. While sitting, I felt dizzy. I was awakened by my fiancée because he heard a thud noise in bathroom. Ended up in the emergency room with a bad concussion. Since then I've had 4 more episodes. Many tests and no answers. My older daughter had her first episode at 7 and several more since. Is this something hereditary?

Comment from: angeliickiss, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Hi, I am 29 years old and have had fainting spells since 2001. When they first started, I would be either in the shower or getting out when I would get dizzy, start sweating, and have some abdominal pain - then I would find myself on the floor. My mom would rush to my aid and give me orange juice to drink. But during the time I am blacked out, my mom said my lips were blue and it would take her to slap me in the face and screaming my name to wake me up. I started to wonder if I was diabetic, well after having my family doctor do blood work and everything else, I was told I wasn't a diabetic and to not worry. Some people faint for no reason. I'm sorry, but this is my life and I refuse to just take that as an answer. Well, as time went on it got to the point to where I would have a fainting episode once every few months. I am really scared.

Comment from: Rene205, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 37 and can remember having fainting episodes as a child maybe once a year. I seem to experience pre-fainting more often now. Most of it is while standing. Laying down helps me when I start feeling warm, with a light sweat, and the room is getting dim. If I drink something cool that helps also. I did blackout and fall with minor injuries when I got up from lying down to quick. It helps to know that others have similar experiences with syncope and not feeling odd because the doctor cannot find why this happens.

Comment from: take5hair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I FINALLY have a diagnosis! The Syncope was detected by a Tilt Table Test, and an Electrician side Cardiologist that UNDERSTANDS the situation, because he himself has Vasovagal Syncope! My biggest issue is to be SURE I am drinking a large amount of liquids per day, to eat pretzels or something with some salt if I feel dizzy or pre-fainting, and I also am low on electrolytes so keeping Gatorade or Propel around for drinking when the symptoms begin. I also know standing too long, or starting to sweat too much is a pre-syncope sign of fainting so to sit down or put my legs up is helpful.

Comment from: Busi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Im 27 years old and have been suffering from random blackouts since 2007. Usually it happens in the mornings. I feel nauseous, start getting a cold sweat and next thing I'm waking from the floor. My Doctor diagnosed an iron deficiency but I have since sorted that out and even donate blood yet I'm still getting the fainting spells. I've been referred to a specialist for tests, hopefully I will get to the bottom of it.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

We were sitting and chatting the next moment I was very tired woke up later will people was putting a wet cloth on my neck and face.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am stage 4 colon cancer receiving chemo. I have had very few side effects. However, twice about 2 days after receiving chemo when feeling the need to have a bowel movement, I started chills, sweats, and sinking feeling. Both times I was seen by paramedics - low heart rate and blood pressure. A few minutes before the episode I felt fine. I think my vasovagel nerve must be getting more sensitive so as the abdominal cramping starts, the reaction takes place. If anyone has a similar story would love to hear if you have found a way to curtail these episodes.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?