Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis

After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?

Comment from: Skidog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

After fainting while seated in a restaurant, my husband called 911. The paramedics performed an EKG, which was normal, but suggested that I still get checked out. After a 4 hour emergency room visit, the heart checked out fine and I was diagnosed with vagal syncope and was asked to follow up with physician. I saw my internist two days later. While waiting in the emergency room waiting room, I had the need to go to the bathroom and had an explosive, yet normal bowel movement. I told my doctor about it as well as describing that the next day I was sick with a stomach flu. The doctor assured me, after my describing the onset flu symptoms, that with my sip of a beer, being overheated and dehydrated coupled with my low blood pressure, I was suffering from a vagal reaction and it should be an isolated event. I happened to experience a few triggers at once. He advised me to lie down if feeling faint and elevate my legs, or sit with my head between my knees to prevent the blackout. I have been fine after getting over the stomach flu and have resumed all normal activities. I feel much better knowing my heart health is good; fainting can be very serious.

Comment from: monsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

After fainting the ambulance took me to the hospital where they only focused on the heart to reassure me that my heart was alright after giving me tests and that. There is no indication that my heart is about to collapse any way. I know that I may have chronic Addison's disease since I have been looking after my health and taking care of myself for the last 50 years. In the hospital, doctors had no interest in giving me the tests I need for Addison's which I was treated during pregnancy 25 years ago.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?