Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Shelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My problems with syncope usually happen when I have vomiting or abdominal pain from a stomach virus, or if I have even a slight fever at the beginning of the flu. I have had fainting happen twice when the technician was trying to get blood sample. My veins are small and the attempt was very painful. Also it happened once right after waking up from a hernia repair when I was feeling abdominal pain. When this happens, I feel extremely weak, unable even to hold my head up, and my blood pressure drops very low. I have had a tilt table test, and have had an echo cardiogram, but both were normal. I have normal weight and exercise regularly, get checkups regularly. I do have fibromyalgia and have had a partial thyroidectomy.

Comment from: Rita, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I fainted at my uncle's wife's funeral. My aunt was only 36 years, young with 3 kids, 19, 17, and 11 years of age. I was devastated because we were very close, her loss was agony to me. When I saw her in her casket, I recall thinking the embalmer did an extraordinary job, then suddenly, I felt tingly all over and my legs felt like jelly and then I fell backwards in to a friend's arms. Twenty seconds later I awoke in a chair with people around me who told me I fainted.

Comment from: JLO, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I fainted in college, faint when I donate blood and recently when my youngest was admitted for pneumonia while there they were swapping his IV (I am not squeamish). I told the nurse I thought I would faint, walked to the bed, got to my knees and passed out, came to and passed out again. I tend to be dizzy a lot. Back in college the neurologist said I have an abnormal normality, in other words X percent of population has this neurologic abnormality that makes it totally normal. I feel light headed before an episode usually warm/hot/ stuffy/like I'm going to get sick, then the black spots move in and I know if I don't get to a 'safe' position I may or may not go out. Everything is fine afterwards, we chalked my last episode up to exhaustion and dehydration.

Comment from: robin, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I don't know if I passed out or blacked out. I got up feeling ok, and went to take a shower. As I was washing I felt very dizzy and fell out of the shower. Everything went with me when I landed on the floor cracking my tail bone.

Comment from: Peperscent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

When a fainting episode started, I'd see black spots, but wouldn't be able sit down. Then I'd get the shakes, like a seizure then black. Now there's absolutely no sign. I had 10 concussions last year, and shattered my ankle. And even had a ceramic slow cooker fall break over my head, pork roast and all. The doctors only suggest fludrocortisone and salt. My blood pressure is 80 over66 still. That's healthy.

Comment from: Grace, 19-24 (Patient) Published: September 22

I have headaches, the pain is in the middle of my head. It's been almost two months now, and I am also experiencing burning pains in my joints. I wonder what the cause could be. I used to faint a lot when I was young.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?