Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Peperscent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

When a fainting episode started, I'd see black spots, but wouldn't be able sit down. Then I'd get the shakes, like a seizure then black. Now there's absolutely no sign. I had 10 concussions last year, and shattered my ankle. And even had a ceramic slow cooker fall break over my head, pork roast and all. The doctors only suggest fludrocortisone and salt. My blood pressure is 80 over66 still. That's healthy.

Comment from: golfnskimomma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have had a long history of benign fainting spells since I was a child. The good news is that I almost always have an aura or sense that I am going to faint. Knowing the consequences, I usually drop to the floor so that I won't fall to the floor and hurt myself. The outage is extremely brief and I quickly return to normal activity once I resume wakefulness.

Comment from: DonRob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I first had a fainting episode approximately 7 years ago while flying. I was watching a movie and all of a sudden I found myself with an oxygen tube under my nose. I did not realize I had passed out. I was told that if I was alright, to contact my doctor when I returned home. I was diagnosed with vasovagal attack, due to low fluid intake and not enough salt in my diet. I had one episode after that about 3 years later while in my doctor's office. I have learned also that because of my age I should slow down a bit when I get up after either waking up or sitting for a long time. It gives the blood a chance to flow back up from your legs to the rest of your body. Well worth the advice of my cardiologist and my regular doctor. Following their advice has been very helpful and at my current age (88) I am doing just fine.

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I got Charlie horse cramps in both legs, tried to stand up to relief the pain, and fainted. After testing hospital thinks I am dehydrated.

Comment from: sweety girl, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My father who is 99 years is being transferred back and forth from nursing home to the hospital with fainting episodes. We can't figure out why he faints and then moments later up. For months we have been going to emergency rooms! I wonder if the medicines he takes contribute to this.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I've fainted a number of times over my life. I developed migraines at 18 that affected my eyesight. When I started taking contraceptives I started to pass out without warning. I crashed into my mom's table and chairs, which gave me a black eye for my wedding! I even fainted without warning on the back of our motorbike. Scary! I had a CT scan that just showed a migraine condition that I knew about already. I had to stop the pill since I was pregnant anyway! So much for that. Migraines have stopped pretty much now but I had a sudden attack of nausea and everything was spinning around about fifteen years ago now. I passed out continually was taken to emergency. They said I had a low grade fever and an inner ear virus. My two daughters caught it from me and my oldest being taken to hospital by ambulance. We were vomiting continually and passing out. I never heard of inner ear virus before. It was scary!

Comment from: catzia, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 02

I had several blackouts in one week till doctor figured I have syncope. It is not easy I had hot flashes. I have serious dizziness. I didn't black out and fall, it occurs when I sit. I haven't found any answers but, I took blood pressure pills and headache pills for my migraines. Now I am aware of signs before I get black outs, so I am more prepared nowadays. I avoid hot weather and keep myself as cool as I can.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?