Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Rita, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I fainted at my uncle's wife's funeral. My aunt was only 36 years, young with 3 kids, 19, 17, and 11 years of age. I was devastated because we were very close, her loss was agony to me. When I saw her in her casket, I recall thinking the embalmer did an extraordinary job, then suddenly, I felt tingly all over and my legs felt like jelly and then I fell backwards in to a friend's arms. Twenty seconds later I awoke in a chair with people around me who told me I fainted.

Comment from: JLO, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I fainted in college, faint when I donate blood and recently when my youngest was admitted for pneumonia while there they were swapping his IV (I am not squeamish). I told the nurse I thought I would faint, walked to the bed, got to my knees and passed out, came to and passed out again. I tend to be dizzy a lot. Back in college the neurologist said I have an abnormal normality, in other words X percent of population has this neurologic abnormality that makes it totally normal. I feel light headed before an episode usually warm/hot/ stuffy/like I'm going to get sick, then the black spots move in and I know if I don't get to a 'safe' position I may or may not go out. Everything is fine afterwards, we chalked my last episode up to exhaustion and dehydration.

Comment from: robin, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I don't know if I passed out or blacked out. I got up feeling ok, and went to take a shower. As I was washing I felt very dizzy and fell out of the shower. Everything went with me when I landed on the floor cracking my tail bone.

Comment from: Peperscent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

When a fainting episode started, I'd see black spots, but wouldn't be able sit down. Then I'd get the shakes, like a seizure then black. Now there's absolutely no sign. I had 10 concussions last year, and shattered my ankle. And even had a ceramic slow cooker fall break over my head, pork roast and all. The doctors only suggest fludrocortisone and salt. My blood pressure is 80 over66 still. That's healthy.

Comment from: golfnskimomma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have had a long history of benign fainting spells since I was a child. The good news is that I almost always have an aura or sense that I am going to faint. Knowing the consequences, I usually drop to the floor so that I won't fall to the floor and hurt myself. The outage is extremely brief and I quickly return to normal activity once I resume wakefulness.

Comment from: Cyndi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I woke the other morning at 4 am. I started to get up to go the bathroom, when I got a cramp in my leg. My first thought was to stand up so I could stretch out the cramp. The next thing I know is I'm on the floor disoriented and my husband calling my name. I do not remember standing and I don't know how I got on the floor.

Comment from: DonRob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I first had a fainting episode approximately 7 years ago while flying. I was watching a movie and all of a sudden I found myself with an oxygen tube under my nose. I did not realize I had passed out. I was told that if I was alright, to contact my doctor when I returned home. I was diagnosed with vasovagal attack, due to low fluid intake and not enough salt in my diet. I had one episode after that about 3 years later while in my doctor's office. I have learned also that because of my age I should slow down a bit when I get up after either waking up or sitting for a long time. It gives the blood a chance to flow back up from your legs to the rest of your body. Well worth the advice of my cardiologist and my regular doctor. Following their advice has been very helpful and at my current age (88) I am doing just fine.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?