Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I got Charlie horse cramps in both legs, tried to stand up to relief the pain, and fainted. After testing hospital thinks I am dehydrated.

Comment from: sweety girl, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My father who is 99 years is being transferred back and forth from nursing home to the hospital with fainting episodes. We can't figure out why he faints and then moments later up. For months we have been going to emergency rooms! I wonder if the medicines he takes contribute to this.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I've fainted a number of times over my life. I developed migraines at 18 that affected my eyesight. When I started taking contraceptives I started to pass out without warning. I crashed into my mom's table and chairs, which gave me a black eye for my wedding! I even fainted without warning on the back of our motorbike. Scary! I had a CT scan that just showed a migraine condition that I knew about already. I had to stop the pill since I was pregnant anyway! So much for that. Migraines have stopped pretty much now but I had a sudden attack of nausea and everything was spinning around about fifteen years ago now. I passed out continually was taken to emergency. They said I had a low grade fever and an inner ear virus. My two daughters caught it from me and my oldest being taken to hospital by ambulance. We were vomiting continually and passing out. I never heard of inner ear virus before. It was scary!

Comment from: catzia, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 02

I had several blackouts in one week till doctor figured I have syncope. It is not easy I had hot flashes. I have serious dizziness. I didn't black out and fall, it occurs when I sit. I haven't found any answers but, I took blood pressure pills and headache pills for my migraines. Now I am aware of signs before I get black outs, so I am more prepared nowadays. I avoid hot weather and keep myself as cool as I can.

Comment from: bardal, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 02

My daughter is 31 years old and has been healthy all her life. She started passing out almost daily. After lots of tests, result is neurocardiogenic syncope and bradycardia. Doctors say there is no known cure and does not usually last a life time, it should go away at some point. This has made her life difficult as she has 2 small boys and husband. She cannot work/drive. I am fearful of her getting hurt.

Comment from: Brunocenguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

On January 09, 2015 I was at a restaurant having dinner. While eating a slice of pie, with no warning prior, I passed out while I was seated in the booth. I was alone. I came to after opening my eyes and saw that I was looking at the seat of the booth. I raised myself up in the sitting position and was confused and disoriented. But I knew something happened. I had pie filling on my sleeve, and the plate, fork, and dessert were in disarray on the table. I thought that my heart had stopped and this is why I passed out. I don't know how long I was out, because nobody in the restaurant even knew I had fallen over on my right side. I drove home about a mile away. I was nervous about what happened. To be on the safe side, I went outside with my cell phone and called 911. The paramedics arrived and took my vitals. They took me to hospital and I was there from 10:30 pm until my discharge at 06:30 pm on the 10th of January 2015. I was given a chest x-ray, CT scan, and blood work for the lab. The doctor came to visit me and had told me about syncope. All my tests came back normal. However, I am a cardiac patient with history of heart attack, hypertension, artery disease, and high cholesterol. Also I am a cigarette smoker, which I know is the cause of my past and present heart conditions and problems. I don't want to smoke anymore but it is very difficult since I am single, and am addicted to the nicotine of tobacco! I start a smoking cessation program in a few weeks, and I hope this will help me to quit before the smoking kills me at age 51. Thanks for reading my story.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?