Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: catzia, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 02

I had several blackouts in one week till doctor figured I have syncope. It is not easy I had hot flashes. I have serious dizziness. I didn't black out and fall, it occurs when I sit. I haven't found any answers but, I took blood pressure pills and headache pills for my migraines. Now I am aware of signs before I get black outs, so I am more prepared nowadays. I avoid hot weather and keep myself as cool as I can.

Comment from: bardal, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 02

My daughter is 31 years old and has been healthy all her life. She started passing out almost daily. After lots of tests, result is neurocardiogenic syncope and bradycardia. Doctors say there is no known cure and does not usually last a life time, it should go away at some point. This has made her life difficult as she has 2 small boys and husband. She cannot work/drive. I am fearful of her getting hurt.

Comment from: Brunocenguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

On January 09, 2015 I was at a restaurant having dinner. While eating a slice of pie, with no warning prior, I passed out while I was seated in the booth. I was alone. I came to after opening my eyes and saw that I was looking at the seat of the booth. I raised myself up in the sitting position and was confused and disoriented. But I knew something happened. I had pie filling on my sleeve, and the plate, fork, and dessert were in disarray on the table. I thought that my heart had stopped and this is why I passed out. I don't know how long I was out, because nobody in the restaurant even knew I had fallen over on my right side. I drove home about a mile away. I was nervous about what happened. To be on the safe side, I went outside with my cell phone and called 911. The paramedics arrived and took my vitals. They took me to hospital and I was there from 10:30 pm until my discharge at 06:30 pm on the 10th of January 2015. I was given a chest x-ray, CT scan, and blood work for the lab. The doctor came to visit me and had told me about syncope. All my tests came back normal. However, I am a cardiac patient with history of heart attack, hypertension, artery disease, and high cholesterol. Also I am a cigarette smoker, which I know is the cause of my past and present heart conditions and problems. I don't want to smoke anymore but it is very difficult since I am single, and am addicted to the nicotine of tobacco! I start a smoking cessation program in a few weeks, and I hope this will help me to quit before the smoking kills me at age 51. Thanks for reading my story.

Comment from: Darnoc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

I get thigh cramps and then pass out with a horrible tingling in my nose and head rolling as if drunk. I then wake up as if dozens of people are shouting at me, feeling very tense and soaking wet.

Comment from: Melody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

On June 10, 2015 I went for routine blood and urine tests. Lab technician tried my left arm first and hit a nerve. Then tried my right arm and was able to draw blood but halfway through the second vial I passed out. They were able to wake me long enough to drink a bit of apple juice then out again. I was awake long enough to get into a wheel chair but really out of it. They got me to lie down, and my heart rate was really low. They wheeled me over to the emergency room (ER) where they put me on oxygen. I was very nauseous. Finally after 2 hours in the ER they gave me a shot of Gravol. About an hour later I threw up then started feeling a bit better. Half hour later they said I could go home. The only problem is I have had to take Gravol every day since or I feel nauseous and can't eat. I wish it would stop. Seems to be taking a long time to get over it.

Comment from: architect, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

I'm a male, slim and tall, normal health-wise, aged 53. I have fainted about 5 to 10 times in last 10 years. MRI report has shown syncopic attacks and ischemic focus, and I'm most-scared of my health and future as they say it may get worse and may turn into paralysis. I'm on low wages, worried about future insecurity and having no work, low payments, immense future worries, hence most stressed due to family responsibilities, etc., despite being highly qualified from a top university. So far I've had a severe fall while driving a 2-wheeler in the night, due to fainting, and recently fell down twice within a minute on the spot, and blacked out for a few seconds in a local train. I think all this happens to me mainly/primarily due to no physical exercises, and no regular sexual satisfaction at all.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?