Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The MRIs of my heart and brain are good with exception of small blood vessel disease in the brain. All blood tests are fine. But I frequently feel light-headed and faint after walking up stairs. A doctor I recently visited to help me find out what this is, actually said to me to go see a psychiatrist.

Comment from: Ohb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I can experience fainting either sitting or standing and walking. Usually I will see some type of star/blur/spots. Things begin to get louder. I then can feel a panicky type of thing with my body. It is real hard to explain. First the cardiologist and neurologist thought my migraines are triggering them. I suffer a very fast drop in blood pressure such as 56/38, it depends. Right now they are trying Botox shots in my head for the migraines to see if this will help the problem. So far it has not, it has been about 2 weeks since the injections.

Comment from: GreatDayToSmile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I first fainted on January 24th. I was sitting in a chair and the next thing I knew, my friends were waking me up. I let it go, considering it a once in a lifetime freak event. I was embarrassed and told my friends I never do that... until 5 days later. It was the same thing. I had been sitting in a chair talking with my friends, felt lightheaded for a split second, and then my friends were waking me up. This time, I landed on my face on a concrete floor and suffered head trauma. I'm recognizing symptoms now and they are increasing to nearly every day. I'm frightened to go anywhere, for fear of fainting and injuring myself again. I have tests next week and I can't wait to get answers and solutions because right now I am a prisoner to these spells.

Comment from: cypris, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

I had a young adult female client who would pass out frequently, no dizziness or vertigo, she just went pale as a sheet, cold, rapid breathing and would pass out but then wake up right away with some confusion, and then she'd be fine. She was able to know when it would happen next time so we got her to sit down and she would be fine. She says no one can explain why, no idea on what would cause her type of syncope.

Comment from: Dprang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have fainted 3 times over the years. First time as a teenager in gym class, second in a subway car that was crowded like sardines and third picking up a bottle that was broken, unknowingly which pierced my right wrist. The only feelings I had were fuzziness while crumpling downward, then nothing. I came to fairly quickly and now I realize it was likely low blood sugar/loss of blood.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have never fainted, however I have had several episodes where I have blacked out and not remembered what has happened. Apparently people around me do not seem to know that anything is wrong but it scares me to death. It has happened 4 times in the last nine months.

Comment from: darmontgomery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have strep throat and while looking at my throat I fainted in the bathroom.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had a syncopic episode in 2000 at age 54 while driving to a job site. The paramedics hauled me to the emergency room but nothing was established as cause. After many tests and doctors I was diagnosed with stage 4 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma in June of 2002 and put on permanent disability. I had numerous episodes of dizziness when doing physical activity and I always attributed it to heat exhaustion. The doctors didn't seem too concerned about it so I just tried to stay in cooler surroundings. The dizziness has progressed in frequency and intensity and in October of 2013 I again had a syncopic episode while driving. I spent a week in hospital and numerous tests were done on my heart and nothing was found. I was discharged and told to follow up with my doctor. I have not been able to see my primary care physician and the dizzy spells are getting worse with the least amount of exertion. I am going to try to get an appointment with a pulmonologist.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?