Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: emschardonnay, 75 or over (Patient) Published: November 22

I am a diabetic controlled; on no medications. I fainted this morning while having coffee. I had no symptoms before the faint. I thought the chair was tipping over but it was me and I fell flat on my face and hurt my nose. I did not pass out; just lay there till my daughter heard me a few seconds later. I sat up and stayed on floor for a while. I seemed ok at that point. My son in law took my blood pressure and it was 156 over 80, usually it is 132/78-80. I do take blood pressure medication. I am feeling ok now after eating a bagel and banana. I am just wondering if I should go to urgent care. I am on vacation right now.

Comment from: Carly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have identified a new cause of syncope. I fainted frequently for a while because I had a hideously exhausted brain after having played too many brain games out of struggling with reasoning. When I started to take a break from brain games, the fainting as well as facial tics gradually got milder. Once my brain felt relaxed enough, I could make better decisions and determine how to speed a step of recovery. I tried pressing my head against a pillow and my hands really hard, and that minimized the facial tics. I wish the law would allow me to drive again sooner because I haven't seriously felt confused from fainting. I think it would be best for me to wait until I have stopped having trouble breathing, thinking of what to say, and having facial tics.

Comment from: Magwaggi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

Before I fainted, I could 'see' a memory in my mind. It was a picture of something (which I can't remember now), but it was so persistent that it would not go away. I tried to get this picture out of my mind, but I felt this 'picture' was beginning to take over and block my normal thinking. I managed to say 'Oh no' and put my elbows on the table I was sitting at, and then I passed out. I did not fall to the floor. Ambulance arrived and I was taken to hospital. Blood taken, hooked up to monitors, nothing abnormal. I will have a Holter monitor fitted when I can get an appointment. The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. I had a CT scan done at that time. But again, everything was normal. Very worrying. Obviously I don't drive for now, but would like to know what is going on.

Comment from: Kari, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

The first time I blacked out was at 7 years old when my hamster bit me. Second time at 7 was when I had blood drawn. I have to lie down when I have blood drawn. I black out and have a major seizure when I am stressed also. I have blacked out when sitting and once fell in a doctor's office when nobody was supervising me. I ended up hitting my head and getting a black eye. When I have a seizure, I am told my eyes roll back in my head with severe shaking and tremors all over. My hands ball up in a fist so tight my nails cut into my hands. I also have low blood pressure and feel faint when I stand up. I also get severe vertigo and have balance problems. Doctors have never given me any solutions or explanations of any of these incidents. I am really frustrated since I don't know what to do or how to prevent these episodes. I have tried yoga but can't do the moves where I put my head down and then get up since I get so dizzy. My balance is terrible so I also have to hang onto something to balance if I try standing on one leg so I don't fall. I have a history of falls and have fractured my vertebrae from falling. It is really scary since I live alone and don't know what I will do if I have a bad fall at home with no one to help me. This is all very difficult to live with and I am always afraid of having some kind of accident. Sometimes I am afraid to drive. I feel limited in my activities and since I fractured my vertebrae I now have trouble standing for more than a few minutes due to my back being in pain after 7 years.

Comment from: Shelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My problems with syncope usually happen when I have vomiting or abdominal pain from a stomach virus, or if I have even a slight fever at the beginning of the flu. I have had fainting happen twice when the technician was trying to get blood sample. My veins are small and the attempt was very painful. Also it happened once right after waking up from a hernia repair when I was feeling abdominal pain. When this happens, I feel extremely weak, unable even to hold my head up, and my blood pressure drops very low. I have had a tilt table test, and have had an echo cardiogram, but both were normal. I have normal weight and exercise regularly, get checkups regularly. I do have fibromyalgia and have had a partial thyroidectomy.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?