Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Northern Cape RSA, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a qualified nursing sister and I get vasovagal attacks usually between 02:00 and 04:00. It happens when I have a sudden urge to go to the toilet for e.g., having diarrhea. Just as I sit down on the toilet I get the attack and I always fall off the toilet onto my head, causing trauma. I now try to get up slower and sit on the bed first for a while to let the blood pressure normalize. Unfortunately I do not get any warning signs for what is about to happen.

Comment from: joseph, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had several fainting episodes in my 48 years: around the age 7, age 13, age 27, age 30 and age 40. The first sign was sweating, then turning pale, then getting dizzy, ears start ringing, voices start fading and then I pass out; very scary. I have been to several doctors but they didn't do anything, so I just did some research on my own, now I am just looking for some treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was discharged from the hospital 13 hours ago after 5 days of seizure monitoring due to spikes in my EEG. The diagnosis was negative. At about 3:00 am, I woke up to turn on the alarm. I felt fine (no lightheadedness, sweating etc.). After pressing the first 2 or 3 numbers, I passed out. This is my 3rd blackout in 3 weeks and other (lightheadedness, confusion, shaking) symptoms when I change position. As I was falling, I did not see anything but I felt I was trying to control my body. I was shaking as I usually due but without losing consciousness. Echocardiogram revealed that my cardiomyopathy is back to normal. I have an abnormal EKG which shows abnormal Q wave. This has been happening for years. I have to wear some type of monitor and take a tilt table test. I am a mother and a teacher who has had many episodes witnessed by my children and students. I am afraid now!

Comment from: kenny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a massive heart attack - the “widow maker” it's called, blockage of left anterior artery. I had 2 stents put in. The doctors say there's no heart damage, but some lack of oxygen to brain. I can remember most things. It takes longer for me to do things. I have problems with sometimes fainting when bending over and my head lower is lower than my heart. The last time it happened I was connecting the pool vacuum, fainted, and fell into the pool. I woke up when I hit water. The doctor finally paid attention, and now wants to do an electrophysiology (EP) study.

Comment from: Enkidu, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had five episodes of fainting in the past 25 years, which have all run pretty much the same course. Severe pain, usually abdominal, followed by dizziness, cold sweat, low blood pressure, fainting, etc. Thirty minutes later I am fine. The first four times I ended up in the emergency room. No cause besides vagal tone is ever found. On one occasion I fell on the way down and gave myself a concussion, which is the only time, I spent a full night in the hospital. If I can just rest for 30 minutes, it is like nothing ever happened.

Comment from: Boca1212@icloud.cm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had fainting spells 6 or 7 times in the last 3 months. Blood work, EKGs, brain scans, heart monitor, blood pressure, everything is normal. I am 61 years old.

Comment from: Kris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was in the doctor's office yesterday for a follow-up visit from a procedure I had done on my back a few weeks ago at a surgical center. That procedure did not work to take my back pain away so the doctor decided to give me injections of cortisone directly into a muscle in my back. I do not like needles but I'll try anything to relieve the pain. Instantly I was very hot, thought I was going to vomit, was very dizzy and the room started spinning. I was totally soaked in sweat but I did not faint. Almost wish I would have so I didn't have to feel like that. I have had a headache since then and my face is very flushed. I still have episodes of getting very hot and sweating. Sure hope it goes away very soon.

Comment from: worried wife, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My hubby sometimes vomits the morning breakfast and just crashes down to floor with eyes wide open but unconscious. This worries me.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?