Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from:, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had fainting spells 6 or 7 times in the last 3 months. Blood work, EKGs, brain scans, heart monitor, blood pressure, everything is normal. I am 61 years old.

Comment from: Kris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was in the doctor's office yesterday for a follow-up visit from a procedure I had done on my back a few weeks ago at a surgical center. That procedure did not work to take my back pain away so the doctor decided to give me injections of cortisone directly into a muscle in my back. I do not like needles but I'll try anything to relieve the pain. Instantly I was very hot, thought I was going to vomit, was very dizzy and the room started spinning. I was totally soaked in sweat but I did not faint. Almost wish I would have so I didn't have to feel like that. I have had a headache since then and my face is very flushed. I still have episodes of getting very hot and sweating. Sure hope it goes away very soon.

Comment from: worried wife, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My hubby sometimes vomits the morning breakfast and just crashes down to floor with eyes wide open but unconscious. This worries me.

Comment from: toby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My husband died on March 9, 2014. Two weeks later I couldn`t cope. My son took me to Cuba, we had a nine hour wait at airport, then six hour flight. I never slept all that time. An hour after we got there I had an attack and I blacked out, my body was like I was levitating there. I came to and it happened again, three times I remember, but my son said I had two more but I don`t remember them. I woke up in hospital.

Comment from: darmontgomery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have strep throat and while looking at my throat I fainted in the bathroom.

Comment from: Sew2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

About once a year, I awake with an urgent need to poop and throw up. But I haven't the energy to walk steadily to the bathroom. I take a few steps and then drop to the floor to recoup before continuing. In recent episodes, however, I find that I have fallen. I have a gash over my eye that required suturing this last time. I am very healthy so this is quite puzzling and now very scary. I thought of putting a toilet stand by my bed, but I think I would fall out of it.

Comment from: temewe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a miscarriage and bled profusely over a 4-hour period of time. I fainted from loss of blood. The bleeding had slowed significantly by the time my husband and I decided I should go to the emergency room to be safe. They did an EKG, gave me about a liter (one bag) of IV fluid and a couple of ultrasounds to be sure it was not a tubal pregnancy and that everything had cleared out okay. Also, as usual, my blood pressure was very low (90's over 50's). I have been home about a day and a half. I have been drinking a lot of water, continuing to bleed lightly, but am still nearly fainting whenever I stand up quickly.

Comment from: waltecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My experience occurred when I was admitted to the hospital ER with chest pain. I had been having chest pain off an on all day accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The ER staff administered oxygen, 3 nitroglycerin tablets about 5 minutes apart for the chest pain in addition to 5 baby aspirin. I remember starting to feel very nauseated again and like I was going to have diarrhea along with being very short of breath. That was all I remember. I didn't know what had happened to me. When I woke up, I was sweating profusely, lying with the whole gurney tilted practically standing on my head and thought that I had fallen asleep as I had been so tired and worn out from feeling like this all day. The doctor said that my blood pressure had bottomed out because of the loss of fluid (vomiting/diarrhea) and the nitroglycerin had dilated my blood vessels quite a lot. They had Iv's in both arms running them wide open to bring my pressure back up. Needless to say, this writer was kept in the hospital 3 days to determine the cause of the chest pain symptoms. The syncope came from the treatment they gave to relieve the chest pain that compounded the affects of the fluid loss.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?