Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Cadams, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had found out the day before that my husband who is in the Army was deploying to Iraq in a week. I was upset over this news, and suffered the night with a migraine headache. The next day, I was not hungry but drank my usual morning coffee. While sitting at my desk at work, I was suddenly sick to my stomach and my vision failed. I then woke up on the floor with my chair behind me. I didn't know where I was, couldn't talk, and couldn't move. I was very sick to my stomach and couldn't hear very well. I finally laid there long enough to be able to call for a coworker who called my parents. I went to the doctor and was told that I must have fainted due to lack of food, mixed with coffee and stress. The experience was not pleasant. I was sick for a couple hours after the fact.

Comment from: What next?, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Yesterday while at the beach, I thought I was going to pass out, or faint. I have never fainted before. I am per-menopausal and have been experiencing night sweats. I am also on multiple medications for depression. Today, I thought perhaps my blood sugar was too high. (Although I am not diagnosed with diabetes, I have a checking system at home because after pregnancy, they thought it was a possibility for me.) I'm going to check with my doctor.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I fainted last year and woke up with a large gash on my head that required 16 stitches. I woke up in the middle of the night, after going to bed early with a migraine and felt I was going to vomit. I was on the floor waiting to get sick and decided to try to open the bathroom window to let in some air. Apparently my glasses smashed into my face over my eyebrow and my husband heard a large boom and came to get me. I had no idea what happened, but I still have the scar to prove it. They never figured out what happened with my fainting, even after several different doctor appointments and a trip to the ER. Scary thought.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: September 30

I went to a party and got pretty intoxicated and didn't think to drink any water. We went to my friend's house afterward and about four hours later, I was walking down the hall (sober now), and I got really light-headed. I woke up on the floor sweating. I got up and felt fine, but then it happened again less than 10 minutes later. I'm assuming I was just really dehydrated.

Comment from: jackieserraty, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 17 years old and I have been experiencing fainting since I was about 6 or 7. I don't understand why. I have been looking for the answer. I have fainted at home, in school, in church, and in subway trains. It is a very uncomfortable feeling and I would like to know why does it occur and how can I prevent it. Since it has occurred so many times, I know the initial feeling when I faint. I fight it but it does not work. I now fear going to school every morning or when I have to go into the train station.

Comment from: Claire, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I have a twelve year old boy who has fainting episodes that are sporadic. He seems to have these fainting episodes at different times of the day every so often. His blood sugar reading showed 2.5 one day and 13.9 another day. I brought him to the doctor and his urine was checked, the doctor said he did not have diabetes. He also had and ECG done that showed erratic heartbeat this was approximately three hours after a fainting episode. He has excessive thirst yet is constantly passing urine. Do you have any answers to help us?

Comment from: Dixie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am female, 62 yrs. young and fainted last night for no apparent reason. Fortunately, my husband was able to finally get me up and I then fainted again. As this is the first time it has ever happened to me, I am concerned as to the cause of this episode. I have no health insurance and did not go to the hospital. I hope I have no reason to worry.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?