Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: person, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got really hot and sweaty in church while we were kneeling. It also became difficult to breathe. I felt as if I couldn't get enough air even though I was breathing fairly rapidly. My ears felt as if someone had shoved cotton in them and everything was muted. My vision started to be obscured by black dots until all I could see was black. After a couple minutes, my vision began to return. Afterward, I had a headache in the front of my head and felt nauseated.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female Published: October 01

On several occasions I have fainted. It occurs mostly when I receive bad news about a close one. I have related this to stress overload. I have been to a doctor, and he cannot find the cause. I have also been told that I look as if I am convulsing.

Comment from: SusMor, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 30

I was in church, and I started feeling odd. I couldn't hear anything around me and then my vision was impaired, and then I fainted. According to my husband, it took a while before I woke up and an ambulance was called. When I awoke, I was dizzy and realized what had happened. I went to see my doctor and had blood work done. My doctor said my blood pressure had bottomed out.

Comment from: LCS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I woke up around 1:30 a.m. after my son awoke wanting a drink. I put his bottle in the microwave, and then I “woke up” on the kitchen floor. I'm not sure how long I was out for, but I didn't realize I had fainted. So I got up and went to walk back to my son, and woke up again on the floor in the lounge. I have MS, and 24 hours later, I started to experience numbness on the right side of my body in my face, head, arm and leg for the first time since I was diagnosed. I am 34 and am fit and healthy otherwise. However, my blood pressure is a bit low.

Comment from: Robert Groh, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

My Doctor put me on Coreg 40 and when it was not quite enough, he put me on Coreg 80 once daily. It is the best medicine I have used to keep a constant blood pressure rather than having ups and downs as I had for years with other drugs. I stood up from my desk and quickly went into another room where I passed out, fell backwards, ended up in an ambulance with a neck collar and on a back board. At the hospital my blood pressure was 125/80 but when the doctor had me stand up to check it again, it was 80/44. I have what is called postural hypotension. I moved too fast after standing up, not giving myself time to stabilize. The cure was easy, back to Coreg 40.

Comment from: cough-jockey, (Patient) Published: September 25

I've had bronchitis for about a month now. When I cough hard I have an asthma-like reaction that causes me to pass out. It's been happening just about twice a day. First I loose hearing, and things start to move in slow-motion. Then I find my self waking up to the sensation of a slow-motion helicopter above my head. I'm disoriented for 15 to 30 seconds. Then I'm completely fine again. It's very odd, but not too unpleasant an experience.

Comment from: animalfan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

According to my mother I have experienced fainting spells since I was 2 years old, and the cause is still a mystery. Through the years I have fainted at home as well as at different events. As I got older I began to notice the early warning signs which included feeling nauseated, spots in my visions which would grow as the spell would come closer until I could not see, and feeling weak. If I had any of those symptoms I would try to get out of the sun (if I was in it), sit down, relax, and take slow deep breaths. One time showing chickens at the county fair it was a warm day and I felt the symptoms come. I tried to hold it off as long as I could but ended up fainting. I came to as my sister and another lady were carrying me to a bench. I had felt warm and a nurse poured cool water over my wrists to cool my body down. By watching for the signs I have not fainted since for about 5 years (knock on wood), but have come close. From my history I have also learned that when I feel one of the symptoms to tell those I know around me what to do if I do faint so they know and I don't scare everyone.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?