Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Ginger 3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Walking from car to store to get a cup of coffee & bagel, legs gave out and I fell flat on my face on the pavement. Hit my head hard. This is the 2nd time in two weeks. I do have a-fib. Will see MD. very soon.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male Published: July 02

I was seventeen at the time. One evening I was sitting at home casually reading a magazine, and came upon someone's description of having a heart attack. It didn't particularly interest me, but as I read on and the author described pains in his chest, I began to feel a pressure weighing down on mine, and a strange sensation of sleepiness I couldn't resist. It felt as if my eyes were being forced to close. I had time to wonder what was happening to me before consciousness faded away altogether. When I came to, I was sweating, and felt weak and confused. In fact, I didn't immediately realize what had happened: it seemed as if I had just closed my eyes for a second. But my mother was there and she told me I had fainted.

Comment from: Armywife85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I fainted about an hour after giving birth to my 2nd child due to blood loss. We didn't know at the time, but my uterus wasn't able to clamp down all the way after the birth because I had a very full bladder. When I finally did relieve myself, I started losing blood very fast. I remember I began to feel very dizzy as I went to the bathroom. Then I started to feel like I was going to throw up. My nurse was with me the whole time, and she realized what was happening. I was still on the toilet, and she had me put my arms around her neck and she grabbed me like she was hugging me real tight. I began to feel very sleepy, and as darkness began to overtake me, I heard loud rock music. It was almost deafening loud! Then there was nothing until I awoke back on the hospital bed. I was confused at first, and then scared after I realized what was going on. My midwife was over me with several other nurses, one who was massaging my uterus very hard! The bleeding slowed down after giving me pitocin, and I was OK! I was only out a few minutes, but I gave everyone quite a scare! A blood lab later that evening showed my hemoglobin dropped from 15 to 8 from the episode. Luckily, I didn't require a transfusion, and a healthy mom and baby went home a few days later.

Comment from: Sud, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 83 years of age. I have kept very busy doing the main three things that I have always done besides holding a full-time job as vice president of a company. I play tennis, build furniture, and work with refugees (for 35 years). Recently, I was playing tennis and lost consciousness for less than 3 seconds. I lost no bodily functions (e.g., walking, talking, etc.). My defibrillator kicked in at .11 seconds and I was wide awake. My tennis friends called 911 and I went to the hospital. Because of that, I have lost my driving privileges for six months. I am now waiting for my appeal date. When I require a driver to take me to my tennis club to play tennis for an hour or so and home again, something doesn't sound right. I believe they are using the principle that one size fits all. My first cardiac arrest 11 ½ years ago was a whole different story. Go out there and play tennis.

Comment from: person, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got really hot and sweaty in church while we were kneeling. It also became difficult to breathe. I felt as if I couldn't get enough air even though I was breathing fairly rapidly. My ears felt as if someone had shoved cotton in them and everything was muted. My vision started to be obscured by black dots until all I could see was black. After a couple minutes, my vision began to return. Afterward, I had a headache in the front of my head and felt nauseated.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female Published: October 01

On several occasions I have fainted. It occurs mostly when I receive bad news about a close one. I have related this to stress overload. I have been to a doctor, and he cannot find the cause. I have also been told that I look as if I am convulsing.

Comment from: SusMor, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 30

I was in church, and I started feeling odd. I couldn't hear anything around me and then my vision was impaired, and then I fainted. According to my husband, it took a while before I woke up and an ambulance was called. When I awoke, I was dizzy and realized what had happened. I went to see my doctor and had blood work done. My doctor said my blood pressure had bottomed out.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?