Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: GreatDayToSmile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I first fainted on January 24th. I was sitting in a chair and the next thing I knew, my friends were waking me up. I let it go, considering it a once in a lifetime freak event. I was embarrassed and told my friends I never do that... until 5 days later. It was the same thing. I had been sitting in a chair talking with my friends, felt lightheaded for a split second, and then my friends were waking me up. This time, I landed on my face on a concrete floor and suffered head trauma. I'm recognizing symptoms now and they are increasing to nearly every day. I'm frightened to go anywhere, for fear of fainting and injuring myself again. I have tests next week and I can't wait to get answers and solutions because right now I am a prisoner to these spells.

Comment from: cypris, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

I had a young adult female client who would pass out frequently, no dizziness or vertigo, she just went pale as a sheet, cold, rapid breathing and would pass out but then wake up right away with some confusion, and then she'd be fine. She was able to know when it would happen next time so we got her to sit down and she would be fine. She says no one can explain why, no idea on what would cause her type of syncope.

Comment from: Dprang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have fainted 3 times over the years. First time as a teenager in gym class, second in a subway car that was crowded like sardines and third picking up a bottle that was broken, unknowingly which pierced my right wrist. The only feelings I had were fuzziness while crumpling downward, then nothing. I came to fairly quickly and now I realize it was likely low blood sugar/loss of blood.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had a syncopic episode in 2000 at age 54 while driving to a job site. The paramedics hauled me to the emergency room but nothing was established as cause. After many tests and doctors I was diagnosed with stage 4 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma in June of 2002 and put on permanent disability. I had numerous episodes of dizziness when doing physical activity and I always attributed it to heat exhaustion. The doctors didn't seem too concerned about it so I just tried to stay in cooler surroundings. The dizziness has progressed in frequency and intensity and in October of 2013 I again had a syncopic episode while driving. I spent a week in hospital and numerous tests were done on my heart and nothing was found. I was discharged and told to follow up with my doctor. I have not been able to see my primary care physician and the dizzy spells are getting worse with the least amount of exertion. I am going to try to get an appointment with a pulmonologist.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was driving and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy. I thought to myself that I need to pull over. But I blacked out before I could do anything. When I woke up I was on the other side of the highway. Thank goodness I didn't hit anyone. I spent the night in the hospital but nothing showed up in the tests I took.

Comment from: cjos, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

My first episode occurred last week which was Thursday the 12th, 201. I was sitting in a public sitting area and out of the blue, I felt dizzy, almost like I was in a dream, then I couldn't swallow or cough. Immediately I realized something was wrong, I couldn't breathe , it felt as though I was drowning, then my panic took over, then a loss of control, to which I closed my eyes, just before I did I felt myself twitching. It was so scary, I've had these before but mild, and never with loss of control or panic. When I came to, I felt so weak and I couldn't lift anything, then it happened again this past Saturday for which I was hospitalized. I just got discharged yesterday, but I'm very frightened. Everyone's stories seem like normal fainting spells, mine don't, and the doctors didn't find anything wrong and summed it up to anxiety or the cold tablet medication I'd taken just 2 hours before my first spell. I'm scared and I don't want this to happen especially in public!

Comment from: jenninnc1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

It has been about 2 weeks since I fainted. I had just moved to a new neighborhood so I was at a neighbor's house introducing myself to a mother of a girl my daughter plays with. I have had multiple sclerosis for 11 years so I am on multiple medications. This causes me to be so fatigued. So lately I have been trying out energy drinks/shots. I am not sure if that may be the cause or not. The ambulance came and I checked out fine. I was just standing there talking and everything just started to kind of fade out and I fell backwards and pretty sure I had a concussion.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?