Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Marlene, Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a vasovagal reaction to a pedicure. The pedicurist was attempting to dislodge an ingrown toenail. I complained of pain, but at the same time I wanted her to fix this problem. She succeeded in cutting out about 1mm of nail along the side of the nail on the big toe. At last I broke into a sweat, unbuttoned my blouse leaned back in the chair, and that's the last I remember. When I came to, my granddaughter was on the phone calling 911. She said I had stopped breathing and was convulsing. Momentarily I didn't know where I was. Then it all came back. I asked her not to call for an ambulance, but I agreed to go to Emergency at the hospital. My heart rate was 55 on arrival, I am not a diabetic or on any medication. My EKG was normal, except there was a slight bauble which the doctor said might be caused by low potassium. He ordered a full blood profile, which came back normal in all respects. The triage nurse had said, "A latte, and a pedicure -- doesn't usually land you in Emergency!" The conclusion was the episode was triggered by intense pain.

Comment from: Dan , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I've had A-Fib for almost 15 yrs and the pre-syncope is getting more frequent. Today I had my first actual fainting spell. I get a fuzzy feeling that feels like a pressure is expanding inside me. I start to get overwhelmed by the sensation that a wave of lightheadedness is taking over. A very unpleasant feeling it doesn't hurt, but I try to fight it all the way. I try to breathe deeply, hold my breath, bend over, head between the knees, but to no avail it prevails against me. It usually just takes me to a point of near fainting and then I quickly recover. I fainted in front of several people today and they freaked. I am looking for some answers as I am certain all here are as well.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I fainted a few days ago walking my dogs. I remember walking them and then the next memory is waking up and trying to determine where I was and why there was gravel beside me. It took me a moment to understand where I was and how to move. I didn't recognize where we were--I wasn't sure how far we were from our home. It was now dark and I didn't know how to get home. I was sweating profusely and had cramps in my abdomen and I was nauseated. I had to stop to rest. I wasn't sure if we were going in the right direction so I stopped at a house to ask directions. They called the police and the police called an ambulance. Very slowly I was able to tell them where I lived. Apparently I was extremely dehydrated. I was put on an IV and taken to the ER. They did a chest X-ray and a CT scan. I elected to leave rather than be admitted because I wanted to check on my dogs. But it was very unnerving not knowing where I was or how to get home. I am on multiple medications for depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, energy, and blood pressure. I had taken a half of an extra dose of two of my medications (Adderall and Provigil) that day. I had not been eating or drinking enough because of the effects of the Adderall and Provigil. Now I make myself eat and drink.

Comment from: 72yofemale, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I have passed out twice in the past 1 1/2 yr. and almost another time, but my husband was able to keep me awake by yelling and pulling on my foot. The first time, I was out about 20 minutes before my husband called 911. I woke up when my hand touched the cold metal on their stretcher. The second time, I was out for about 4 hours in the hospital. This has been a puzzle about why this happens. All three times I was sitting in my recliner, working on my Nook (Sudoku) when it happened. A neurologist tells me it is probably because I'm sitting in a position which causes low blood pressure. Does this makes sense? Should my husband keep trying to wake me up and should he call 911?

Comment from: unknown500721, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have been passing out and having seizures for about 4 years. I have gone thru tons of tests, seen a neurologist and a cardiologist, and have found no answers. My husband worries about me, and my pregnancy was extremely difficult because of this issue. I am constantly pushed to do more testing but I have stopped going thru the process. It seems I will never know why I have these "spells" and will probably never know how to stop them.

Comment from: mykeith, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My partner just blacked out in the shower last night he said he felt dizzy and suddenly dropped, he didn't remember blacking out he said he has never blacked out before and it was like all the blood was rushing away from his head. We were engaged in sexual intercourse previously however, not at the time he fell. He weighs around 86 kilos and is pretty fit. I am around 56 kilos. He said he was fine after, but i am worried, is he OK, what's wrong with him.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?