Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 53 years old, my blood pressure in under control. I work retail and had been on my feet for 8 hours (this is normal) I then got stuck in traffic for over 45 minutes (not normal). When I got home out of the car, my feet hurt more than they did when I left work. I started walking to my door when I felt odd. By the time I got to my front door, I hit the ground. I don't know how long I lay there, it felt like a dream and I wanted to go to sleep and then I remembered that I was on the ground.

Comment from: rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My past is laden with environmental instability, a few traumatic experiences, some drug use, alcohol abuse, an eating disorder, and now I'm sure subsequently, kidney, and bladder infections. I have passed out a few times after smoking in the past, but now, even though I've abstained from a lot of what ailed me, I get symptoms of passing out often. I tremble, and feel weak more often now. This seemed to increase since the winter of 2013, enough that I am a bit reluctant to drive anywhere in fear that I may pass out on the road. My father was born with and died of heart problems, so I probably pushed my luck of heart defects with the damage I have done to myself in the past. Due to money problems I haven't seen a doctor about it, but do plan to. Everyone's story matters even if just a little bit.

Comment from: Foofie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been fainting since 1994, 20 years. After the first few times, I had many tests and finally got the diagnosis of syncope, but cause unknown. As I read all this information, I'm thinking it may be due to electrolyte imbalance or mild dehydration. Since 1976, I've been taking prednisone and Florinef, as replacement therapy, since my adrenal glands were removed when I had Cushing's disease. Next time I feel as if I will faint, I will drink some Gatorade. V8 also seems to help. By the way, when I faint, I never lose consciousness and can hear everyone around me panic.

Comment from: ava, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

In 2001 I blacked out going 70 miles on highway 30, I cannot believe that I'm alive. I have had 4 fainting spells since 2001. Now in 2014, I fainted and fell face flat on my ceramic tile floor. Major injuries and feeling really weak but the doctors still cannot find anything wrong with me. They are still running more tests so I hope that they find something to help me, my family is very scared and so am I.

Comment from: Misty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had several fainting experiences over the last year or more, where I"m standing, then have to sit as I feel the symptoms of fainting surfacing. Always, the following day I wake up with my body aching. The body aches can last anywhere from one day to 2 weeks, and also leave me feeling very weak.

Comment from: Looking for a cure, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I faint several minutes after receiving dental injections of epinephrine, or of mepivacaine or Carbocaine. There is no cure. Now no dentist will work on me because they have no other injection to use. Even the university dental schools have no answer.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The MRIs of my heart and brain are good with exception of small blood vessel disease in the brain. All blood tests are fine. But I frequently feel light-headed and faint after walking up stairs. A doctor I recently visited to help me find out what this is, actually said to me to go see a psychiatrist.

Comment from: Ohb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I can experience fainting either sitting or standing and walking. Usually I will see some type of star/blur/spots. Things begin to get louder. I then can feel a panicky type of thing with my body. It is real hard to explain. First the cardiologist and neurologist thought my migraines are triggering them. I suffer a very fast drop in blood pressure such as 56/38, it depends. Right now they are trying Botox shots in my head for the migraines to see if this will help the problem. So far it has not, it has been about 2 weeks since the injections.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?