Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Foofie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been fainting since 1994, 20 years. After the first few times, I had many tests and finally got the diagnosis of syncope, but cause unknown. As I read all this information, I'm thinking it may be due to electrolyte imbalance or mild dehydration. Since 1976, I've been taking prednisone and Florinef, as replacement therapy, since my adrenal glands were removed when I had Cushing's disease. Next time I feel as if I will faint, I will drink some Gatorade. V8 also seems to help. By the way, when I faint, I never lose consciousness and can hear everyone around me panic.

Comment from: ava, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

In 2001 I blacked out going 70 miles on highway 30, I cannot believe that I'm alive. I have had 4 fainting spells since 2001. Now in 2014, I fainted and fell face flat on my ceramic tile floor. Major injuries and feeling really weak but the doctors still cannot find anything wrong with me. They are still running more tests so I hope that they find something to help me, my family is very scared and so am I.

Comment from: Misty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had several fainting experiences over the last year or more, where I"m standing, then have to sit as I feel the symptoms of fainting surfacing. Always, the following day I wake up with my body aching. The body aches can last anywhere from one day to 2 weeks, and also leave me feeling very weak.

Comment from: Looking for a cure, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I faint several minutes after receiving dental injections of epinephrine, or of mepivacaine or Carbocaine. There is no cure. Now no dentist will work on me because they have no other injection to use. Even the university dental schools have no answer.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The MRIs of my heart and brain are good with exception of small blood vessel disease in the brain. All blood tests are fine. But I frequently feel light-headed and faint after walking up stairs. A doctor I recently visited to help me find out what this is, actually said to me to go see a psychiatrist.

Comment from: Ohb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I can experience fainting either sitting or standing and walking. Usually I will see some type of star/blur/spots. Things begin to get louder. I then can feel a panicky type of thing with my body. It is real hard to explain. First the cardiologist and neurologist thought my migraines are triggering them. I suffer a very fast drop in blood pressure such as 56/38, it depends. Right now they are trying Botox shots in my head for the migraines to see if this will help the problem. So far it has not, it has been about 2 weeks since the injections.

Comment from: GreatDayToSmile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I first fainted on January 24th. I was sitting in a chair and the next thing I knew, my friends were waking me up. I let it go, considering it a once in a lifetime freak event. I was embarrassed and told my friends I never do that... until 5 days later. It was the same thing. I had been sitting in a chair talking with my friends, felt lightheaded for a split second, and then my friends were waking me up. This time, I landed on my face on a concrete floor and suffered head trauma. I'm recognizing symptoms now and they are increasing to nearly every day. I'm frightened to go anywhere, for fear of fainting and injuring myself again. I have tests next week and I can't wait to get answers and solutions because right now I am a prisoner to these spells.

Comment from: cypris, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

I had a young adult female client who would pass out frequently, no dizziness or vertigo, she just went pale as a sheet, cold, rapid breathing and would pass out but then wake up right away with some confusion, and then she'd be fine. She was able to know when it would happen next time so we got her to sit down and she would be fine. She says no one can explain why, no idea on what would cause her type of syncope.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?