Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: joseph, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had several fainting episodes in my 48 years: around the age 7, age 13, age 27, age 30 and age 40. The first sign was sweating, then turning pale, then getting dizzy, ears start ringing, voices start fading and then I pass out; very scary. I have been to several doctors but they didn't do anything, so I just did some research on my own, now I am just looking for some treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was discharged from the hospital 13 hours ago after 5 days of seizure monitoring due to spikes in my EEG. The diagnosis was negative. At about 3:00 am, I woke up to turn on the alarm. I felt fine (no lightheadedness, sweating etc.). After pressing the first 2 or 3 numbers, I passed out. This is my 3rd blackout in 3 weeks and other (lightheadedness, confusion, shaking) symptoms when I change position. As I was falling, I did not see anything but I felt I was trying to control my body. I was shaking as I usually due but without losing consciousness. Echocardiogram revealed that my cardiomyopathy is back to normal. I have an abnormal EKG which shows abnormal Q wave. This has been happening for years. I have to wear some type of monitor and take a tilt table test. I am a mother and a teacher who has had many episodes witnessed by my children and students. I am afraid now!

Comment from: kenny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a massive heart attack - the “widow maker” it's called, blockage of left anterior artery. I had 2 stents put in. The doctors say there's no heart damage, but some lack of oxygen to brain. I can remember most things. It takes longer for me to do things. I have problems with sometimes fainting when bending over and my head lower is lower than my heart. The last time it happened I was connecting the pool vacuum, fainted, and fell into the pool. I woke up when I hit water. The doctor finally paid attention, and now wants to do an electrophysiology (EP) study.

Comment from: Enkidu, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had five episodes of fainting in the past 25 years, which have all run pretty much the same course. Severe pain, usually abdominal, followed by dizziness, cold sweat, low blood pressure, fainting, etc. Thirty minutes later I am fine. The first four times I ended up in the emergency room. No cause besides vagal tone is ever found. On one occasion I fell on the way down and gave myself a concussion, which is the only time, I spent a full night in the hospital. If I can just rest for 30 minutes, it is like nothing ever happened.

Comment from: Sew2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

About once a year, I awake with an urgent need to poop and throw up. But I haven't the energy to walk steadily to the bathroom. I take a few steps and then drop to the floor to recoup before continuing. In recent episodes, however, I find that I have fallen. I have a gash over my eye that required suturing this last time. I am very healthy so this is quite puzzling and now very scary. I thought of putting a toilet stand by my bed, but I think I would fall out of it.

Comment from: temewe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a miscarriage and bled profusely over a 4-hour period of time. I fainted from loss of blood. The bleeding had slowed significantly by the time my husband and I decided I should go to the emergency room to be safe. They did an EKG, gave me about a liter (one bag) of IV fluid and a couple of ultrasounds to be sure it was not a tubal pregnancy and that everything had cleared out okay. Also, as usual, my blood pressure was very low (90's over 50's). I have been home about a day and a half. I have been drinking a lot of water, continuing to bleed lightly, but am still nearly fainting whenever I stand up quickly.

Comment from: waltecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My experience occurred when I was admitted to the hospital ER with chest pain. I had been having chest pain off an on all day accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The ER staff administered oxygen, 3 nitroglycerin tablets about 5 minutes apart for the chest pain in addition to 5 baby aspirin. I remember starting to feel very nauseated again and like I was going to have diarrhea along with being very short of breath. That was all I remember. I didn't know what had happened to me. When I woke up, I was sweating profusely, lying with the whole gurney tilted practically standing on my head and thought that I had fallen asleep as I had been so tired and worn out from feeling like this all day. The doctor said that my blood pressure had bottomed out because of the loss of fluid (vomiting/diarrhea) and the nitroglycerin had dilated my blood vessels quite a lot. They had Iv's in both arms running them wide open to bring my pressure back up. Needless to say, this writer was kept in the hospital 3 days to determine the cause of the chest pain symptoms. The syncope came from the treatment they gave to relieve the chest pain that compounded the affects of the fluid loss.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?