Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had severe diarrhea during the night with constant leg cramps and passed out late morning after getting out of bed. I woke up early morning with a painful leg cramp and upon getting out of bed, fainted and lost urine. I was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with vasovagal syncope. I believe these episodes may be caused by dehydration. I am following up with a neurologist and cardiologist.

Comment from: nat, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

The very first time I fainted (I think that's what happened) I was in a club. I had been there for a few hours, and though it was crowded I had been feeling fine, and I wasn't drinking. I went outside for a smoke with friends and went back in, after about 20 minutes inside I noticed I had trouble breathing and it was getting really bad, so I started to head out of the club to get some air with my boyfriend when my sight got really bad, then everything went black and my legs just buckled and I blacked out. To be honest, I'm not really sure what happened but it was pretty scary.

Comment from: Scared, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was sitting at the breakfast table (had not eaten, just coffee), when I felt dizzy-lightheaded. I remember starting to put my hands to my head, the next thing my daughter was yelling at me and I was on the floor. She said I made noises before I fell, and she tried to answer me from the other room. Then the thud. I don't know the reason, have a call in to my doctor at the moment. I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) several years ago, but this does not seem like it.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have never fainted in my life but 2 weeks ago at work I was eating strawberries at lunch and suddenly I felt like my insides were quivering and I started shaking. My friend and I started to walk to the health center and the next thing I remember is waking up on the floor with people all around me. I don't remember much of anything. I was in and out for several minutes. I don't remember getting in the ambulance or the ambulance ride itself. I was disoriented for several hours. I had an EKG, a CAT scan of the head, blood sugar, blood work, an echocardiogram and an ultrasound of my carotid arteries. Everything came back normal so the diagnosis was anxiety. Is this possible? I take medication for anxiety and depression and I also take medications for high cholesterol and hypothyroidism. I am still not sure what caused it.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 53 years old, my blood pressure in under control. I work retail and had been on my feet for 8 hours (this is normal) I then got stuck in traffic for over 45 minutes (not normal). When I got home out of the car, my feet hurt more than they did when I left work. I started walking to my door when I felt odd. By the time I got to my front door, I hit the ground. I don't know how long I lay there, it felt like a dream and I wanted to go to sleep and then I remembered that I was on the ground.

Comment from: rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My past is laden with environmental instability, a few traumatic experiences, some drug use, alcohol abuse, an eating disorder, and now I'm sure subsequently, kidney, and bladder infections. I have passed out a few times after smoking in the past, but now, even though I've abstained from a lot of what ailed me, I get symptoms of passing out often. I tremble, and feel weak more often now. This seemed to increase since the winter of 2013, enough that I am a bit reluctant to drive anywhere in fear that I may pass out on the road. My father was born with and died of heart problems, so I probably pushed my luck of heart defects with the damage I have done to myself in the past. Due to money problems I haven't seen a doctor about it, but do plan to. Everyone's story matters even if just a little bit.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?