Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Gami, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I felt very warm, slumped over and lost consciousness. I woke up then lost consciousness again. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room. I have had no other episodes.

Comment from: PJB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

A couple years ago I passed out while washing dishes. I was put in CCU for a few days due to a low heart rate and a concussion. I knocked out 6 teeth. I had surgery last week and had a postoperative hemorrhage. I had 2 episodes in the hospital that had the staff doing CPR. My heart hadn't stopped, it was having long pauses. My sternum is fractured from CPR. All my tests were negative, so my vasovagal syndrome got me again. I was discharged, went home and passed out and gashed my forehead. This is a maddening thing to live with.

Comment from: carmel m., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had 19 fainting spells, all in my room or with a full bladder, with no seizure as I was observed one time, off opioids repeated, some around time of kidney stone passage. I have naturally occurring low blood pressure (BP). Echocardiogram and reveal cardiac monitor has revealed nothing lethal, normal size heart on CXR, pedal edema and knee effusions present. I'm on Lasix for kidney stones, I cannot tell if postural hypotension occurs when I am troubled by an infection like urinary tract infection (UTI) from stones. Everything goes silver, like the old TV sets, I generally have no time to sit, and If I try to balance by grabbing on to something, I am more likely to be hurt by that object. I have hit furniture and walls. I broke my foot and leg doing this. I am also a nurse, masters prepared. I have no concussions, mainly out go the lights and I awaken to myself screaming in pain or experiencing pain.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had severe diarrhea during the night with constant leg cramps and passed out late morning after getting out of bed. I woke up early morning with a painful leg cramp and upon getting out of bed, fainted and lost urine. I was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with vasovagal syncope. I believe these episodes may be caused by dehydration. I am following up with a neurologist and cardiologist.

Comment from: nat, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

The very first time I fainted (I think that's what happened) I was in a club. I had been there for a few hours, and though it was crowded I had been feeling fine, and I wasn't drinking. I went outside for a smoke with friends and went back in, after about 20 minutes inside I noticed I had trouble breathing and it was getting really bad, so I started to head out of the club to get some air with my boyfriend when my sight got really bad, then everything went black and my legs just buckled and I blacked out. To be honest, I'm not really sure what happened but it was pretty scary.

Comment from: Scared, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was sitting at the breakfast table (had not eaten, just coffee), when I felt dizzy-lightheaded. I remember starting to put my hands to my head, the next thing my daughter was yelling at me and I was on the floor. She said I made noises before I fell, and she tried to answer me from the other room. Then the thud. I don't know the reason, have a call in to my doctor at the moment. I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) several years ago, but this does not seem like it.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have never fainted in my life but 2 weeks ago at work I was eating strawberries at lunch and suddenly I felt like my insides were quivering and I started shaking. My friend and I started to walk to the health center and the next thing I remember is waking up on the floor with people all around me. I don't remember much of anything. I was in and out for several minutes. I don't remember getting in the ambulance or the ambulance ride itself. I was disoriented for several hours. I had an EKG, a CAT scan of the head, blood sugar, blood work, an echocardiogram and an ultrasound of my carotid arteries. Everything came back normal so the diagnosis was anxiety. Is this possible? I take medication for anxiety and depression and I also take medications for high cholesterol and hypothyroidism. I am still not sure what caused it.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?