Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Darnoc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

I get thigh cramps and then pass out with a horrible tingling in my nose and head rolling as if drunk. I then wake up as if dozens of people are shouting at me, feeling very tense and soaking wet.

Comment from: Melody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

On June 10, 2015 I went for routine blood and urine tests. Lab technician tried my left arm first and hit a nerve. Then tried my right arm and was able to draw blood but halfway through the second vial I passed out. They were able to wake me long enough to drink a bit of apple juice then out again. I was awake long enough to get into a wheel chair but really out of it. They got me to lie down, and my heart rate was really low. They wheeled me over to the emergency room (ER) where they put me on oxygen. I was very nauseous. Finally after 2 hours in the ER they gave me a shot of Gravol. About an hour later I threw up then started feeling a bit better. Half hour later they said I could go home. The only problem is I have had to take Gravol every day since or I feel nauseous and can't eat. I wish it would stop. Seems to be taking a long time to get over it.

Comment from: architect, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

I'm a male, slim and tall, normal health-wise, aged 53. I have fainted about 5 to 10 times in last 10 years. MRI report has shown syncopic attacks and ischemic focus, and I'm most-scared of my health and future as they say it may get worse and may turn into paralysis. I'm on low wages, worried about future insecurity and having no work, low payments, immense future worries, hence most stressed due to family responsibilities, etc., despite being highly qualified from a top university. So far I've had a severe fall while driving a 2-wheeler in the night, due to fainting, and recently fell down twice within a minute on the spot, and blacked out for a few seconds in a local train. I think all this happens to me mainly/primarily due to no physical exercises, and no regular sexual satisfaction at all.

Comment from: JayC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I usually faint after a strenuous activity such as running, climbing stairs or even after sex. It happens after the activity when my heart is beating very rapidly. I always associated this as to being out of shape and that I would need more exercise to improve my stamina for physical activities. Aside from that, there is no apparent solution I can think of to prevent my blackouts; other than that when I am feeling faint/exhausted I should try to sit/lie down to rest.

Comment from: mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have gotten this dizzy feeling before. But this time at the gym I finished my workout, and went to stretch, put my arms above the door, and got that feeling again. It did not pass. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor. I got up and went to the bath room and left. I called my doctor and he ordered an EKG, nuclear stress test, and a Holter heart monitor. My blood pressure has been slightly elevated for the past year. I am 53 and very active. Heart problems and diabetes run in my family.

Comment from: Former smoker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Back when I used to smoke I would cough and momentarily lose conscientiousness. I had a stent put in, which cured my addiction to nicotine and since then the dizziness and coughing have gone away. It's amazing how much better your body responds when you aren't putting poison in it.

Comment from: kt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I faint from pain. I was getting an ultrasound in the x-ray clinic today and all of sudden felt the room to be too dark, too small, and too cramped. I then felt nausea and saw twinkles and knew from past experience that I was going to faint. Luckily I was sitting and I just went over on my side. Usually I have deep dreams when I pass out. When I wake up it feels like I can't distinguish between my dream and reality and I generally do not know where I am for a few minutes. When I wake I feel weak. I am a tall and strong person and I get very embarrassed by this weakness.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?