Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: JayC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I usually faint after a strenuous activity such as running, climbing stairs or even after sex. It happens after the activity when my heart is beating very rapidly. I always associated this as to being out of shape and that I would need more exercise to improve my stamina for physical activities. Aside from that, there is no apparent solution I can think of to prevent my blackouts; other than that when I am feeling faint/exhausted I should try to sit/lie down to rest.

Comment from: mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have gotten this dizzy feeling before. But this time at the gym I finished my workout, and went to stretch, put my arms above the door, and got that feeling again. It did not pass. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor. I got up and went to the bath room and left. I called my doctor and he ordered an EKG, nuclear stress test, and a Holter heart monitor. My blood pressure has been slightly elevated for the past year. I am 53 and very active. Heart problems and diabetes run in my family.

Comment from: Former smoker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Back when I used to smoke I would cough and momentarily lose conscientiousness. I had a stent put in, which cured my addiction to nicotine and since then the dizziness and coughing have gone away. It's amazing how much better your body responds when you aren't putting poison in it.

Comment from: kt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I faint from pain. I was getting an ultrasound in the x-ray clinic today and all of sudden felt the room to be too dark, too small, and too cramped. I then felt nausea and saw twinkles and knew from past experience that I was going to faint. Luckily I was sitting and I just went over on my side. Usually I have deep dreams when I pass out. When I wake up it feels like I can't distinguish between my dream and reality and I generally do not know where I am for a few minutes. When I wake I feel weak. I am a tall and strong person and I get very embarrassed by this weakness.

Comment from: Gami, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I felt very warm, slumped over and lost consciousness. I woke up then lost consciousness again. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room. I have had no other episodes.

Comment from: PJB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

A couple years ago I passed out while washing dishes. I was put in CCU for a few days due to a low heart rate and a concussion. I knocked out 6 teeth. I had surgery last week and had a postoperative hemorrhage. I had 2 episodes in the hospital that had the staff doing CPR. My heart hadn't stopped, it was having long pauses. My sternum is fractured from CPR. All my tests were negative, so my vasovagal syndrome got me again. I was discharged, went home and passed out and gashed my forehead. This is a maddening thing to live with.

Comment from: carmel m., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had 19 fainting spells, all in my room or with a full bladder, with no seizure as I was observed one time, off opioids repeated, some around time of kidney stone passage. I have naturally occurring low blood pressure (BP). Echocardiogram and reveal cardiac monitor has revealed nothing lethal, normal size heart on CXR, pedal edema and knee effusions present. I'm on Lasix for kidney stones, I cannot tell if postural hypotension occurs when I am troubled by an infection like urinary tract infection (UTI) from stones. Everything goes silver, like the old TV sets, I generally have no time to sit, and If I try to balance by grabbing on to something, I am more likely to be hurt by that object. I have hit furniture and walls. I broke my foot and leg doing this. I am also a nurse, masters prepared. I have no concussions, mainly out go the lights and I awaken to myself screaming in pain or experiencing pain.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?