Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had a syncopic episode in 2000 at age 54 while driving to a job site. The paramedics hauled me to the emergency room but nothing was established as cause. After many tests and doctors I was diagnosed with stage 4 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma in June of 2002 and put on permanent disability. I had numerous episodes of dizziness when doing physical activity and I always attributed it to heat exhaustion. The doctors didn't seem too concerned about it so I just tried to stay in cooler surroundings. The dizziness has progressed in frequency and intensity and in October of 2013 I again had a syncopic episode while driving. I spent a week in hospital and numerous tests were done on my heart and nothing was found. I was discharged and told to follow up with my doctor. I have not been able to see my primary care physician and the dizzy spells are getting worse with the least amount of exertion. I am going to try to get an appointment with a pulmonologist.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was driving and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy. I thought to myself that I need to pull over. But I blacked out before I could do anything. When I woke up I was on the other side of the highway. Thank goodness I didn't hit anyone. I spent the night in the hospital but nothing showed up in the tests I took.

Comment from: cjos, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

My first episode occurred last week which was Thursday the 12th, 201. I was sitting in a public sitting area and out of the blue, I felt dizzy, almost like I was in a dream, then I couldn't swallow or cough. Immediately I realized something was wrong, I couldn't breathe , it felt as though I was drowning, then my panic took over, then a loss of control, to which I closed my eyes, just before I did I felt myself twitching. It was so scary, I've had these before but mild, and never with loss of control or panic. When I came to, I felt so weak and I couldn't lift anything, then it happened again this past Saturday for which I was hospitalized. I just got discharged yesterday, but I'm very frightened. Everyone's stories seem like normal fainting spells, mine don't, and the doctors didn't find anything wrong and summed it up to anxiety or the cold tablet medication I'd taken just 2 hours before my first spell. I'm scared and I don't want this to happen especially in public!

Comment from: jenninnc1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

It has been about 2 weeks since I fainted. I had just moved to a new neighborhood so I was at a neighbor's house introducing myself to a mother of a girl my daughter plays with. I have had multiple sclerosis for 11 years so I am on multiple medications. This causes me to be so fatigued. So lately I have been trying out energy drinks/shots. I am not sure if that may be the cause or not. The ambulance came and I checked out fine. I was just standing there talking and everything just started to kind of fade out and I fell backwards and pretty sure I had a concussion.

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I passed out in December after I had been sleeping on the couch for a few hours. I got up and felt sick to my stomach. I went to the kitchen to let my dogs out and drank part of a diet soda to settle my stomach. The next time I knew I was laying on the floor in the living room. I had passed out. I did not have any dizziness prior to falling. I went to the emergency room the next day and was diagnosed with a concussion. Heart tests performed showed nothing. In October I was sleeping in my bed and during the night I got up to get a drink. I felt sick to my stomach and went to the kitchen to get a drink. I woke up on the floor and wondered why I was laying on the floor. I took my blood sugar and it was 119. I later discovered I had bruises on both sides of my spine, a big bruise on my hip and one on my arm. I live by myself so I don't know how long I was out. I had no dizziness prior to falling. I have low blood pressure and in December it read 83 over 53 at the doctor's office prior to falling. The cardiologist told me that I would feel dizzy and feel like I need to hold on to something if it was low blood pressure. I have gotten up before and walked at an angle but did not faint. I work out regularly for an hour or so. Lately I do not have the energy to do that. I also experience chest pain when I do a normal workout on the elliptical. I feel a tightness in my chest which concerns me so I cut down on exercise. My thyroid medication is always adjusted and I have been on it for almost 20 years. I don't have symptoms of underactive thyroid like hair and skin although I have been cold most of the time and my temperature has been in the low 96s. The cardiologist office said the heart monitor showed I have pre beats. Carotid artery is 1% to 19% blocked. I am unsure of echocardiogram results as he does not have them. Result of EEG not in yet. I am scheduled to have a 21 day monitor placed on me this week.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?