Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was driving and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy. I thought to myself that I need to pull over. But I blacked out before I could do anything. When I woke up I was on the other side of the highway. Thank goodness I didn't hit anyone. I spent the night in the hospital but nothing showed up in the tests I took.

Comment from: cjos, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

My first episode occurred last week which was Thursday the 12th, 201. I was sitting in a public sitting area and out of the blue, I felt dizzy, almost like I was in a dream, then I couldn't swallow or cough. Immediately I realized something was wrong, I couldn't breathe , it felt as though I was drowning, then my panic took over, then a loss of control, to which I closed my eyes, just before I did I felt myself twitching. It was so scary, I've had these before but mild, and never with loss of control or panic. When I came to, I felt so weak and I couldn't lift anything, then it happened again this past Saturday for which I was hospitalized. I just got discharged yesterday, but I'm very frightened. Everyone's stories seem like normal fainting spells, mine don't, and the doctors didn't find anything wrong and summed it up to anxiety or the cold tablet medication I'd taken just 2 hours before my first spell. I'm scared and I don't want this to happen especially in public!

Comment from: jenninnc1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

It has been about 2 weeks since I fainted. I had just moved to a new neighborhood so I was at a neighbor's house introducing myself to a mother of a girl my daughter plays with. I have had multiple sclerosis for 11 years so I am on multiple medications. This causes me to be so fatigued. So lately I have been trying out energy drinks/shots. I am not sure if that may be the cause or not. The ambulance came and I checked out fine. I was just standing there talking and everything just started to kind of fade out and I fell backwards and pretty sure I had a concussion.

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I passed out in December after I had been sleeping on the couch for a few hours. I got up and felt sick to my stomach. I went to the kitchen to let my dogs out and drank part of a diet soda to settle my stomach. The next time I knew I was laying on the floor in the living room. I had passed out. I did not have any dizziness prior to falling. I went to the emergency room the next day and was diagnosed with a concussion. Heart tests performed showed nothing. In October I was sleeping in my bed and during the night I got up to get a drink. I felt sick to my stomach and went to the kitchen to get a drink. I woke up on the floor and wondered why I was laying on the floor. I took my blood sugar and it was 119. I later discovered I had bruises on both sides of my spine, a big bruise on my hip and one on my arm. I live by myself so I don't know how long I was out. I had no dizziness prior to falling. I have low blood pressure and in December it read 83 over 53 at the doctor's office prior to falling. The cardiologist told me that I would feel dizzy and feel like I need to hold on to something if it was low blood pressure. I have gotten up before and walked at an angle but did not faint. I work out regularly for an hour or so. Lately I do not have the energy to do that. I also experience chest pain when I do a normal workout on the elliptical. I feel a tightness in my chest which concerns me so I cut down on exercise. My thyroid medication is always adjusted and I have been on it for almost 20 years. I don't have symptoms of underactive thyroid like hair and skin although I have been cold most of the time and my temperature has been in the low 96s. The cardiologist office said the heart monitor showed I have pre beats. Carotid artery is 1% to 19% blocked. I am unsure of echocardiogram results as he does not have them. Result of EEG not in yet. I am scheduled to have a 21 day monitor placed on me this week.

Comment from: Northern Cape RSA, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a qualified nursing sister and I get vasovagal attacks usually between 02:00 and 04:00. It happens when I have a sudden urge to go to the toilet for e.g., having diarrhea. Just as I sit down on the toilet I get the attack and I always fall off the toilet onto my head, causing trauma. I now try to get up slower and sit on the bed first for a while to let the blood pressure normalize. Unfortunately I do not get any warning signs for what is about to happen.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?