Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?

Comment from: rickey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

There are times when I cough so hard that I pass out for a few minutes but I am not all the way passed out. At times I understand what someone is saying to me but cannot speak. In a few minutes I am back to normal. When I get bronchitis I coughed so hard I got a small tear in belly button and I have to have codeine cough medicines to stop coughing and passing out. At another time I heard a funny show on radio and laughed so much I almost passed out. Now I don't laugh too much or I will start coughing and pass out. Doctors told me it's a cough syncope but not much help.

Comment from: Angela, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

It is strange, because I have passed out 4 times in my life and every time I am still aware, able to lean on somebody before falling, able to feel myself falling and getting picked up and carried to lie down. I can hear everyone around me and can respond. The other day I passed out on my boyfriend's shoulder and told him I passed out. The whole time I was basically telling him what to do, that he needed to carry me, and once he placed me down that he needed to move the pillows he rested my head on because I needed to be flat lying down. Once I'm out lying flat I open my eyes immediately. I am never confused and know exactly what happened the whole time. All that happens is I feel dizzy, fall into someone's arms, eyes shut and unable to move. And I feel heavy. But I am aware the whole time of what is going on. This happened four times in total, in the same way. One for not crying from injury, one from too strong acupuncture, one from alcohol, and the last from tiredness followed by a hot bubble bath. I wonder if this still fainting or something else!

Comment from: roy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I am a 74 year old male, and have had atrial fibrillation for twelve years and take warfarin for it. I also take medication for hypothyroidism and hypertensive blood pressure. I do not drink or smoke. I became aware of my heart issues when I would nearly pass out when standing up suddenly and walking off, I would only get a few paces before I would nearly pass out, but would recover after a few seconds. I have had no fainting issues since going on to warfarin. However I was doing some shopping the other day, when I started feeling very dizzy, my legs started giving way on me, and I had to grab a shop fitting to prevent myself from going to the floor. This lasted for 1 or 2 minutes, but I still felt strange for 10 minutes or so. About 3 hours later I had a mild headache which last for an hour or two, now its 24 hours later and I have had no further problems. My blood pressure and pulse were normal when checked 1 hour later.

Comment from: HCP, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

I am a health care provider. I have never fainted until I was undergoing an ENT procedure that involved the doctor putting a nasopharyngeal probe into my nose. Apparently I had a vasovagal episode. My blood pressure dropped to 60/40. I knew I was fainting and I fought it. But I was out, and the ammonia stick woke me. During my episode I actually had a dream. The feeling of weakness, extremity numbness, tingling, and nausea were horrible. I was weak the remainder of the night. I remember also my thoughts, but my body was 'not there'. I remember thinking, why don't they check my pressure, why don't they lie me down, why don't they put in an IV, are they going to call a code! Very strange.

Comment from: Lee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My 88 year old mother fainted and fell flat on her face, resulting in two black eyes. But my mother distinctly remembers feeling as if she had been whacked in the back of her head before she fainted.

Comment from: shammer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I would experience a few seconds of light-headedness, then darkness would begin to close in on my peripheral vision. I had 3 blackouts in a period of 16 months and many, many of the experiences just described. I went through tons of tests but all were negative until I wore a heart monitor geared to last up to 4 weeks. I had an episode of light-headedness and it was determined I had a heart block causing my heart to skip beats. I had a pacemaker installed. I"ve always been a healthy person and I"m not happy about this. I"m 73 next month.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?