Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?

Comment from: shammer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I would experience a few seconds of light-headedness, then darkness would begin to close in on my peripheral vision. I had 3 blackouts in a period of 16 months and many, many of the experiences just described. I went through tons of tests but all were negative until I wore a heart monitor geared to last up to 4 weeks. I had an episode of light-headedness and it was determined I had a heart block causing my heart to skip beats. I had a pacemaker installed. I"ve always been a healthy person and I"m not happy about this. I"m 73 next month.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been having near-fainting spells for the last couple of weeks. I always know when it is starting. It"s after I have eaten something. About half hour or so I start getting cramps and will have to go to the bathroom. I start sweating and my heart starts to beat slower and slower. I also get very weak and shaky. That is when I know I"m about to faint. Things start getting black but I am usually near a chair or something to hang on too. I do have high blood pressure and am on medications for that. These symptoms of fainting are new to me. I have not seen a doctor for this yet.

Comment from: Abdelhamid, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

Stress has been the cause of my health problem which led to frequent fainting. The fainting occurs to me while I am walking or sometimes sitting. I just felt losing control of my legs and arms when I was walking. Once, someone on the street helped me to sit on bench and called a taxi. When the taxi arrived, I was already conscious, but very tired.

Comment from: Sam&al12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Today in class I almost passed out, another guy in my class really did pass out, and a girl before our class almost did, as well. It was very odd. The lecture was getting graphic, but I can usually handle that sort of thing. I'm wondering if it was just high stress we experienced from the graphic nature of the lecture, or something in the environment that caused all three of us to feel faint. It was bizarre.

Comment from: Randy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

After having 33 radiation treatments for false vocal cord cancer, my vagal nerve was also affected. I now easily gag, choke, and then pass out. They diagnosed this as syncope.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I felt pressure on my chest and a sleepy feeling--forcing my eyes to close. It was a gradual fade-out of consciousness. When I came to, I felt weak, sweaty, and a bit confused.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?