Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Causes

What caused your fainting (syncope)?

Comment from: headchef, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been experiencing fainting spells since 1995. I didn't get diagnosed with vasovagal syncope until this year. I have had every test for your heart they can do. My heart is fine and the 'oh, it just happens to some people' really isn't helpful. I also have nerve pain in my left leg that they cannot fix. I am really scared that I am going to pass out or faint while driving, this is scary and depressing.

Comment from: blackclouds, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Today I went to this store and the lady was teaching me how to knit and I was sitting on this stool when I blacked out and the next thing I knew I was on the floor, I guess I blacked out for a few minutes. I hit the counter and got a bump on my forehead; they called 911 and I went to the hospital they took x-rays. Nothing is broken but I'm awful sore all over and know I will be back and blue tomorrow. They diagnosed syncope. I have a pace-maker and when they picked me up my heart was out of control, 180 over something. I also a stroke in 2010 and I'm type 2 diabetic. They did an EKG, CT scan and a bunch of tests on me and said to follow up with my regular doctor. I really didn't I was going to pass-out.

Comment from: satish, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband first suffered from leg cramps and after that he fainted for 3 to 5 minutes. This was followed by low blood pressure during the whole of next day.

Comment from: passout, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I woke up in the early morning hours with bad cramps in my stomach. I went to the bathroom, and as I was sitting, I got really hot and fainted. The last time this happened was probably about a year ago.

Comment from: barbara, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter has been told after five months of all these symptoms that she has syncope. Her heart rate goes from 142 to 30 and she has been passing out multiple times a day, with severe headaches that never cease. We are losing hope of answers. No treatment has been mentioned after coming home from three days at the hospital.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

When I was a teenager I fainted. I recently read a magazine article in which someone described having a heart attack—which sounded kind of similar to my experience. He spoke of pains in his chest. When I fainted, I started to feel a pressure weighing down on my own chest and a strange sleepiness. Gradually consciousness faded away. I don't believe I was unconscious for very long.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?