Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Causes

What caused your fainting (syncope)?

Comment from: jen1302, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

For me syncope began with sight of blood and now I can faint having stitches removed or even having an operation awake and hospitals don't know. A general physician told my parents when I was 3 years old that I would grow out of it and still black out now and then. Hospital believes I have fractures or chips in skull and was told I was being sent to scan to look into that, but was never referred to; that was 15 years ago.

Comment from: pachrisrobin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been having fainting spells since 1991. The more activity I was involved in, the more I would faint. During a tilt table test, the doctors finally found out what my fainting was caused from since I fainted during this test. I have syncope! I knew that I was about to faint and just said 'uh oh' to warn the nurse I was about to faint. My blood pressure dropped drastically but I did not learn on how low it got until today. The test was done on Tuesday and my blood pressure dropped to 50/10. Now I am taking medications to help slow down the frequency of my fainting due to an electrical issue to my heart.

Comment from: Ronin, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 29

I've had 2 fainting episodes, the first one in March and 2nd in June. Each, I was behind the wheel of a car resulting in injury and hospital stays. As of September, it is still undiagnosed. I am under continuing evaluation. After 6 months, no cause has been found. After EEGs. MRIs, CATs, ultrasounds, and pacemaker implant no findings indicate anything is wrong with the heart, lungs, blood pressure, etc. I take no medications, and I've no history of heart-related problems. I've never been a smoker, not a drinker, and physically fit – I work out daily (for the past 25 years) with no adverse consequences. My doctor can only prescribe further testing, he is baffled. I have been taken off road. I cannot drive until diagnosis or treatment can be found. Living alone, I am severely impacted by not being able to drive. Seeing several specialists has not revealed a cause. Yet, without warning, I crashed twice in the past six month period. No other maladies have occurred, I otherwise enjoy an active healthy existence.

Comment from: Rustedout, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had 2 fainting episodes, no warnings; new to me. First was while driving on a highway, no warning, I fainted. I ran off road and hit a tree. I spent 2 days in hospital, after many tests, CAT, ultra sound, MRI, no determination was made of what happened as I take no medicines, no history and no alcohol. The second was 2 months later. I was pulling into a parking lot, fainted and ran into the building. Again, I was taken to hospital, no cause was determined. Now I am off road and undergoing analysis, wearing a heart monitor for 30 days and will get EEG next week. All vitals are fine. Blood pressure averages 127 over 72. It is scary when no diagnosis is made. My baffled doctor is still trying to determine cause. I exercise daily, work in yard, very active still, and never had a fainting episode except driving... twice now. Auto sustained $9000 + in damages each accident.

Comment from: headchef, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been experiencing fainting spells since 1995. I didn't get diagnosed with vasovagal syncope until this year. I have had every test for your heart they can do. My heart is fine and the 'oh, it just happens to some people' really isn't helpful. I also have nerve pain in my left leg that they cannot fix. I am really scared that I am going to pass out or faint while driving, this is scary and depressing.

Comment from: Worried, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I feel nothing before I faint, I just wake up on the floor with my pups around me. First time loading the dishwasher, a couple of times walking through the house, last time I lost control of my bladder, heading to the hamper to do laundry. But hey, my dogs love me, because they are all standing around me giving me kisses when I wake up.

Fainting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with fainting.
Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?