Patient Comments: Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Share Your Experience

When did your symptoms first appear? Please share your experience with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy.

Comment from: Sonal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I underwent a CP (cerebellopontine) angle surgery for removal of brain tumor. Doctors pre-informed me that there will be some facial weakness after surgery and will subside in some time. When I woke up I realized that it was not some and my left side face was totally numb and Bell's palsy was the answer. No medications were suggested as it was an after effect of the surgery but yes, electrical stimulation, ultrasonic therapy, facial exercises, face splint, lubricant for the eye and specially acupressure has been helpful, and I'm recovering now. A tip for all those who are dealing with it. I've realized it in past few months that It takes time to heal so don't be impatient and don't feel bad about meeting people. Keep living your regular life and keep working towards improvement and one day it will all be fine.

Comment from: carmen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

On December 13 my kids and I were making Christmas cookies. I woke up with a watery eye, and then it went away. Thinking it was a cold in my eye we continued baking. Around 11 am my face felt tingly and I said something to my daughter who is a registered nurse, and she told me to go to the emergency room because it looked like Bell's palsy. I was on an emotional rollercoaster. The doctor started me on steroids right away. I am still having issues dealing with it. To me it is embarrassing especially working and my speech is horrible, and I can't see too well out of my left eye. Doctor said it could take 3 months or longer. I haven't seen too much improvement. I made a rice heat pad that seems to feel good on my jaw line which is where I have pain. Wish me luck and to all who are dealing with Bell's. Not fun, very depressing.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Ten months ago I woke up to this horrible nightmare of Bell's palsy. To this day I am still dealing with the swelling on my left side and my pictures look awful; I can tell I still have it looking at any recent pictures. To anyone that has severe pain, trust me it is real and horrible. The pain in the back of my ear and the electric pulses in my head were almost unbearable. After 45 days I could finally go out in public, and I remained under doctor's care the entire time, with high doses of steroids and pain pills. What an awful experience and it"s still not over for me, my guess is it's never going away. Best of health and know the pain is very real.

Comment from: BeSmartNow, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

On one random evening, my husband and I witnessed his smile starting to "shift" to one side. At first we thought it was a joke, and laughed about it. He was unable to control this shift. After two days, we realized it was serious, and he was losing feeling and control on the right side of his face. By that day, his eyelids started to droop, and he could not close his eye. We panicked and went to the emergency room to wait for hours only to affirm what I had researched online. It was Bell's palsy. We were prescribed prednisone and acyclovir, which we believe today had little to no effect in his recovery. Immediately after leaving the hospital, we began the regime, based on my research prior. He was only going to eat healthy food to allow his face to recover. From that point, for two weeks, he did only this, ate broccoli for every meal with olive oil. He drank ginger tea (buy raw ginger, cut it up and boil it into a tea), used raw honey instead of sugar. Drank this several times a day. He also ate blueberries and celery. Later we just added some whole wheat bread and boiled chicken breast into the meals. He also took daily, 2 fish oil omega 3 tablets, and 1 B-12 tablet, 1000mcg a day. He rested a lot, lots of sleep is needed. He let the body heal itself, he did not stress his face with exercises, we tried it one time, but it did not work. Soon he started to feel tingling sensations on the paralyzed right side of his face. It buzzed near his eyelids and lips. These are indications that the nerves are starting to send signals to the paralyzed face. And he was on the road to recovery! This is all we did, and one day after 2 weeks, we just realized it was 110% gone!

Comment from: Rita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had Bell's palsy around 2 years back but now suddenly from last 3 or 4 months I have swelling and mild pain on the Bell's palsy side. There is heaviness also on that side of head. I don't understand, it's quite confusing.

Comment from: lika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

In 2012, I suffered from a facial paralysis. I was treated by massaging! This year in the month of February I suffered again, and this time I was treated with lots of medicine and injections! Now I am feeling that same pain again.

Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you have for facial nerve problems?
Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy?