Patient Comments: Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Share Your Experience

When did your symptoms first appear? Please share your experience with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Ten months ago I woke up to this horrible nightmare of Bell's palsy. To this day I am still dealing with the swelling on my left side and my pictures look awful; I can tell I still have it looking at any recent pictures. To anyone that has severe pain, trust me it is real and horrible. The pain in the back of my ear and the electric pulses in my head were almost unbearable. After 45 days I could finally go out in public, and I remained under doctor's care the entire time, with high doses of steroids and pain pills. What an awful experience and it"s still not over for me, my guess is it's never going away. Best of health and know the pain is very real.

Comment from: BeSmartNow, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

On one random evening, my husband and I witnessed his smile starting to "shift" to one side. At first we thought it was a joke, and laughed about it. He was unable to control this shift. After two days, we realized it was serious, and he was losing feeling and control on the right side of his face. By that day, his eyelids started to droop, and he could not close his eye. We panicked and went to the emergency room to wait for hours only to affirm what I had researched online. It was Bell's palsy. We were prescribed prednisone and acyclovir, which we believe today had little to no effect in his recovery. Immediately after leaving the hospital, we began the regime, based on my research prior. He was only going to eat healthy food to allow his face to recover. From that point, for two weeks, he did only this, ate broccoli for every meal with olive oil. He drank ginger tea (buy raw ginger, cut it up and boil it into a tea), used raw honey instead of sugar. Drank this several times a day. He also ate blueberries and celery. Later we just added some whole wheat bread and boiled chicken breast into the meals. He also took daily, 2 fish oil omega 3 tablets, and 1 B-12 tablet, 1000mcg a day. He rested a lot, lots of sleep is needed. He let the body heal itself, he did not stress his face with exercises, we tried it one time, but it did not work. Soon he started to feel tingling sensations on the paralyzed right side of his face. It buzzed near his eyelids and lips. These are indications that the nerves are starting to send signals to the paralyzed face. And he was on the road to recovery! This is all we did, and one day after 2 weeks, we just realized it was 110% gone!

Comment from: Kat, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My son had Bell's palsy at age 3 and then again 13 years later at age 16. The damage at age 3 left a weakness down the left side of his face and the second attack left even more damage. He has had an operation but when he smiles his left eye closes.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I got Bell's palsy on my left side about nine years ago. One month later, I got it on the right side. I went to an emergency room and a neurologist said the paralysis would go away. Nine years later, the right side of my face is still paralyzed. My eyes would not close for three months; an eye doctor suggested sewing my eyelids shut. It was one of the worst times of my life. I still cannot smile, and when I get tired, my speech is a little difficult. I hope they can find a cure.

Comment from: ZARA, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My daughter has had 9 facial palsies and her twin sister has had 2,this occurred first when she was 8 years old and then they both had one when they were 10 years old. Either side of face. Has anyone else had 9 or more? She is now 24 years old and has not had one for 3 years. Doctors can't give me an answer. Face and smile always look squint and eyes don't blink or close correctly, always need eye drops.

Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you have for facial nerve problems?
Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy?