Patient Comments: Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy?

Comment from: vanilla, 35-44 (Patient) Published: August 19

I am going to add to the possible risks and hopefully I will not be judged too harshly. I am 99% positive that I got Facial Palsy in 2004, which was then called Bell's Palsey because I am a drug abuser of prescription narcotics. One evening I was injecting some Dilaudids and some Morphine (not mixed but separately). I have very small veins and I was having trouble injecting in my arm so I tried my left hand. I remember hitting a very painful spot which I believe was a nerve. I also may have not cleaned the injection area too well and somehow the physician said I had gotten bacteria in my blood which he believed caused this (I never told the doctor what I had done though) the next day I woke up and this has been a nightmare for me ever since. Unfortunately I was not one of the 70% that recover. The entire left side of my face remained paralyzed and I feel like a freak. At times I wish I could just die. No one to blame but myself and my nasty habit.

Comment from: Shivani, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I feel as if air has been trapped on the left side of my facial nerves. I always feel moving pressure around my eyes, sometimes near my nose, or around my cheekbones. Is this possible?

Comment from: Qtee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My symptoms include muscle weakness on my face and jaw, and underneath my ear there is pain and swelling. I have muscle twitching on my face, a dry mouth, and have lost my sense of taste. My lips are crooked when smiling, and the affected side is puffy.

Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you have for facial nerve problems?
Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Share Your Experience Question: When did your symptoms first appear? Please share your experience with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy.