Patient Comments: Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you have for facial nerve problems?

Comment from: Peter, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

When Bell's palsy struck me unexpectedly, three otherwise well qualified doctors advised me that no treatment was possible (apart from a few steroids which were useless). Four months later I found my way to an acupuncturist where, as well as exercises and massage, I experienced my first real improvement. In hindsight it is apparent to me that nerve stimulation is the answer. It is just a pity that 18 months later when I am almost recovered but still wrestling with the final stages, I was not aware of this earlier.

Comment from: pegpat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had an episode of Bell's palsy ten years ago on the left side of my face. I was prescribed prednisone and Valtrex. I still have numbness in my cheek and constant tearing of my eye. Lucky me, two weeks ago I got it on my right side. My tearing is not as bad this time but my paralysis is worse. They gave me prednisone again, 60 mg daily. I took it for a week then I was tapered down and then discontinued. I am scheduled for an EMG tomorrow to see if I can save the muscle. I cannot drink without a straw and have to close my lips to do this. This time my eye stays dry. I have a lot more pain this time, in the back of my ear radiating down my neck. I have constant low throbbing with sudden episodes of a stabbing pain. Hearing is extremely amplified in my right ear. Wish me luck; it has been three weeks and no changes.

Comment from: christax, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I woke up one morning to find out that I can't talk well because the right side of my mouth was shifting to the left side, and my one eye will close and the other will not close. I could not blink, smile or frown and this odd feelings on the right side of my ear. I was scared I had a stroke only to find out it was Bell's palsy. I took vitamin B1, B6 and B12, but after one week it was still not getting better. Later I took steroid only on daily basis, and I got relieved and got better in two weeks.

Comment from: samartha w., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Almost two weeks ago the doctors found out I have Bell's syndrome. I just finished my drugs a day ago and I can't say I am feeling better or there are any changes, my next appointment is in two weeks. I don't know what I should do to get my health back and my facial nerves to heal. Usually I feel pain, my head aches, and my eyesight get poor, so it is pretty much a struggle but I am on to defeating it.

Comment from: Starshadow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Treatments I've received for my facial nerve problems include prednisone, facial exercises, facial massage, chewing gum, an eye patch, and eye drops.

Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy?
Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Share Your Experience Question: When did your symptoms first appear? Please share your experience with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy.