Patient Comments: Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia) - Signs

Please describe signs and symptoms of face blindness in someone you know.

Comment from: Kati, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had 2 temporal lobe strokes, 1 each side in 1999. As payroll clerk, I couldn't keep workers' faces straight; I paid the wrong guy with another's pay. I did not recognize my client at my daughter's wedding (my client for 2 years at that time). It is terribly hard to be bookkeeper, keep accounts/receivable and accounts/payable people straight. I don't work now, that was the final straw. Now I always ask people who they are up front immediately. I still don't recognize faces, even my live-in daughter sometimes. Movie 'Faces in the crowd' and Brad Pitt article clued me in to what is wrong. Hope the future holds some remedy.

Comment from: shahin, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 18

I have discovered recently that i cannot recognize a face. I have to look at the person several times before i can put them in my memory. I feel embarrassed sometimes.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was about 30 before I realized I was different with facial recognition. I worked hard a remembering peoples names. I had all their information in my head, but did not help because it was their face I was not recognizing. I rank in the 20% category, so I do OK if I work at remembering distinct features when meeting them. This is key for me. It makes movie watching troublsome because I can not keep the characters straight, but try to employ same tactics as with real life. So, I still watch movies, with a little help from friends.

Comment from: Anastasia, 65-74 Female Published: May 28

I just heard that Brad Pitt may have prosopagnosia. I never knew this condition had a name. For as long as I can recall, I, too, have had trouble remembering faces. I usually have to see a person three times in a relatively short period of time in order to remember their face. I have somehow managed to cope with this even though I have been in the real estate business for more than 30 years. Often, I've had to say to people, "Refresh my memory," when they say “hello” to me. As soon as they tell me who they are, my memory clicks in and I know exactly who they are. Other times, I've had long conversations with people whom I have not had a clue where I met them! I have not had a stroke or brain injury that I know of. I did suffer a blow to my nose when I was around 7 and had a deviated septum, which was corrected by surgery. I am also diabetic, but have my A1/C under control and have no associated health issues. I'm so glad to know there are others like me. I understand what Brad Pitt must be going through – he says people think he's stuck up or ignoring them. I'm sure lots of people have thought that of me in my lifetime. Hope this helps.

Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia) - Treatments Question: Have you found a treatment for face blindness (prosopagnosia) that helped?