Patient Comments: Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia) - Treatments

Question:Have you found a treatment for face blindness (prosopagnosia) that helped?

Comment from: guy61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have lived with face blindness all my life. It"s not so much, at least for me, that you can"t see, but that you cannot keep it in your head. Faces look so much alike that it makes it difficult to discern who is who. I imagine that for most people my problems are like trying to discern the differences between two different fonts; since they aren"t born with innate ability to quickly discern the differences between serif and sans, ascender and descender heights, etc. it is difficult for them to discern the subtleties that distinguish one font from another. So it is for me - fonts are relatively easy - they don"t change, get older, change their hair, etc. But people constantly change, from one emotion to the next, and that makes it hard to track. My default is visually to rely on hairstyle, but that isn"t a constant, just a short term solution. I am much better at recognizing voices, but that usually isn"t available in the amounts required to make a positive identification and avoid awkward encounter. I have also found that if I can find a specific flaw, like a mole or birthmark, I can catalogue it as belonging to that person and make it specific. Frankly, I wish I could recognize people better. To be in a sea of people and to recognize a friendly face - what bliss! I wish I could see more about the people who surround me.

Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia) - Signs Question: Please describe signs and symptoms of face blindness in someone you know.