Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: beezie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Due to harsh neck exercises, left to right, forcefully for at least 15 minutes on each side, flashes and floaters developed, as the aqueous humor pulled away from the retina, 10 years ago. Fortunately, the retina did not require attention. Now, upon being prepared for cataract surgery, it has been noticed that the retina in the right eye has a wrinkle. Therefore, I urgently suggest if doing neck exercises do them gently and not more than a minute or two.

Comment from: Jamie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered eye injuries playing real tennis here in the UK ('court tennis' in the US). Unlike lawn tennis, the ball is hard and solid. Both eyes have been hit while playing on separate occasions and floaters have worsened significantly afterwards. I am short-sighted and have been told that with an enlarged and thus stretched eyeball, the back of the eye is more susceptible to the damage that this physical trauma can cause. Goggles may be the answer!

Comment from: effy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I started to have the floaters in both of my eyes when I was 20. It's like black lines and spots, they are always there and pretty annoying. Even though I have floaters in my eye, I still had Lasik surgery when I was 22. The doctor said it was totally ok, but after my surgery, I just feel that my floaters are increasing. I should never believe them! I hope that I can make an appointment with another eye doctor soon to check my eye. I am really kind of worried. I am just at early 20s, I might be blind when I am 50 or 60. Oh my, I really have a lot of them.

Comment from: Hal, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I developed a floater in my left eye after I fell down and hit my head hard on the washroom floor. The floater developed after 2 or 3 days after my head trauma. I got my eyes evaluated by my ophthalmologist for retinal detachment or anything severe. I was lucky except for these floaters which from what I read here, I have to live with.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I am 61 years old. My extreme myopia was successfully corrected with laser eye surgery back in 2001. At the age of 31 years old, after experiencing blunt trauma, I was diagnosed with floaters in both eyes, which faded away over time. The ophthalmologist informed me that my nearsightedness made me prone to producing floaters due to the shape of my eyes. A few days ago, while doing a home improvement project, I lightly smacked my left eye with the back of my hand while prying a fastener from a wall. Soon, a few floaters appeared in my vision, with one larger one that is sort of annoying. I will be checking with an ophthalmologist as soon as I can get an appointment to assess any other damage to my eye. This experience reminded me that even though the Lasik treatment corrected my vision, the structure of my eyes that had caused the nearsightedness in the first place is still the same. Also, at this point in my life, it does not take much of a hit to my eyes to produce that kind of damage.

Comment from: fae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

About 7 years ago a chiropractor manipulated my neck and I got a big floater in my eye right away. I learned to live with it and it did not affect my life too much but since a few days I feel overwhelmed with the sight of this floater. Is it that I am more focused on it or did it get worse. I really feel it did because i notice it all the time now. I am so depressed. Of course the chiropractor denied he was the cause and ruined my quality of life...jerk...which i could go back in time.

Comment from: brnfingrs, 25-34 Male Published: January 10

I had a scleral buckle done one year ago on my right eye. Since then the floaters have impaired my depth perception. Glares at night driving suck as well. Trying to use my eyes to read all my materials for my nursing courses forced me to try to get further help. Instead a surgery on my left eye to repair a rip gave me what I hoped was more time for tests instead was used to push me out of my nursing clinician for restrictions. These floaters have hindered the only career I have ever wanted.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.