Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: bb, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Every time I get stung by scorpion it makes my tongue numb, and it lasts about a week. I take Benadryl tablets for about 5 days. I have a lot of swelling and burning.

Comment from: Migesh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I just spent 36 hours in the hospital with the only primary symptoms being extreme headache just under the skull on top of my head (even my hair hurts), and sustained temperatures between 101 and 104. I am waiting 2 days for some cultures to develop, as they originally suspected encephalitis and/or meningitis. The last test was a chest x-ray which showed a light cloudy area in my left lung, so they now include pneumonia as a possible cause. The problem is that my blood and urine and spinal fluid tests all showed no signs of any infection, such as high white blood cell counts, etc. Also, I have no cough or chest pain or difficulty breathing, and when they listen to my chest, they cannot hear anything abnormal. I have been prescribed 5 days of Levaquin under the assumption I may have pneumonia, but the doctors were stumped by my lack of normal chest symptoms. I am now at home, still with really intense headaches and persistent fever of 100.5 to 102.5.

Comment from: Adam, Published: May 24

I was keeping goal at indoor soccer practice and reached for a shot above my head, only to strike the cross bar with my right hand. My ring finger was left pointing backwards about 30 degrees at the second knuckle and my first thought was that it was broken. But I was able to put it back in place immediately and then move the finger, though with limited range and substantial pain. X-rays have revealed a chip fracture and I'm in a splint for a couple weeks before my appointment with a hand specialist. I would cross my fingers that it heals properly if I could.

Comment from: ddancer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an attempted colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. The doctor could not continue as I was in excruciating pain. My colon wouldn't allow the scope to go round a bend although he kept trying to push. I had no sedative. I still have a lot of pain and some bleeding; not happy.

Comment from: SK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

One cause of eye floaters is high fever. After a high fever you can get loads of floaters appearing in both eyes. That was over 30 years ago. They have not disappeared since. That was what happened to me. So stay cool! Talk to the medical folks to find a cure for floaters, e.g. if it is possible to flush these floaters out of the eyes with saline solution and replace the vitreous humor in the eye with the saline solution. If they can do that safely millions of people worldwide will be queuing up at their clinics for the cure.

Comment from: Trackieb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was doing my dishes one morning and I coughed and I felt pain in my lower back. The pain was unbearable. I went to the hospital and they sent me for an emergency MRI. I came back and they just advised that my disc had slipped. I was sent for neurological block injections, which didn't work. I was still in a considerable amount of pain. One night it got unbearable, and I rung for an ambulance. I was taken to the hospital that would do my operation a few days later, due to the snow. When I came round after the operation I was told I had cauda equina syndrome (CES) and it was bad. No bladder/bowel function, paralysis in my right leg and the most unbelievable pain. I was sent to rehabilitation and spent six months learning to walk. I can now walk with two crutches, very short distances. I am mostly confined to my wheelchair I would not wish CES on anyone. It has changed my life forever and it will never go away.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.