Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: jcvanv, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I acquired severe floaters from a botched cataract surgery. Mine are blood cells caused by an abrasion in one of my eyes which is caused by the plastic lens inserted for cataract surgery not being where it is supposed to be. My vision goes from looking through a fog, then they partially clear up in a week or two and then I can only describe them as looking at an oil spill or a one sided ink blot test. Then I go back to the fog. This has been going on for two years until it was correctly diagnosed. I am having surgery to correct the problem. I hope it works as having this condition totally corrupts the vision of my good eye and destroys depth perception.

Comment from: sonny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have floaters only in my left eye. It came about after a nasal congestion on the left nose.

Comment from: beezie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Due to harsh neck exercises, left to right, forcefully for at least 15 minutes on each side, flashes and floaters developed, as the aqueous humor pulled away from the retina, 10 years ago. Fortunately, the retina did not require attention. Now, upon being prepared for cataract surgery, it has been noticed that the retina in the right eye has a wrinkle. Therefore, I urgently suggest if doing neck exercises do them gently and not more than a minute or two.

Comment from: Jamie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered eye injuries playing real tennis here in the UK ('court tennis' in the US). Unlike lawn tennis, the ball is hard and solid. Both eyes have been hit while playing on separate occasions and floaters have worsened significantly afterwards. I am short-sighted and have been told that with an enlarged and thus stretched eyeball, the back of the eye is more susceptible to the damage that this physical trauma can cause. Goggles may be the answer!

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago and had very good vision after. I had to go back to hospital as vision blurred, and eye got red and watery. I was told it may settle or floater may have to be removed surgically.

Comment from: Provigil sleep Apnea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

The Provigil and modafinil drugs are safe and good to use to treat sleeping disorders. It is the best way to increase wakefulness, increase mild alertness and also improve memory.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

A few months ago I started seeing this floater. It scared the heck out of me for I am diabetic. My doctor told me it would go away, but she did not say when. It's been months now and I still see it. This floater is absolutely annoying. I tried Visine to no avail. I will wait until it goes by itself.

Comment from: effy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I started to have the floaters in both of my eyes when I was 20. It's like black lines and spots, they are always there and pretty annoying. Even though I have floaters in my eye, I still had Lasik surgery when I was 22. The doctor said it was totally ok, but after my surgery, I just feel that my floaters are increasing. I should never believe them! I hope that I can make an appointment with another eye doctor soon to check my eye. I am really kind of worried. I am just at early 20s, I might be blind when I am 50 or 60. Oh my, I really have a lot of them.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?