Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: fae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

About 7 years ago a chiropractor manipulated my neck and I got a big floater in my eye right away. I learned to live with it and it did not affect my life too much but since a few days I feel overwhelmed with the sight of this floater. Is it that I am more focused on it or did it get worse. I really feel it did because i notice it all the time now. I am so depressed. Of course the chiropractor denied he was the cause and ruined my quality of life...jerk...which i could go back in time.

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had floaters for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I told my mother that I could "see germs". When I was taken in for an eye exam at the age of 8 I was found to be very near sighted. The severity of the floaters hasn't changed over the years - I just wish something could be done to get rid of them, for they are very annoying!

Comment from: Richard, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Just had YAG laser surgery on my lense capsule to rid the capsule of clouding. Now some of that debris is driving me crazy as annoying floaters. Had the same treatment on my other eye about 2 years ago and no annoying floaters. Both YAGs were after cateract surgery. Be careful of two doctors who do YAG surgery on floaters. One Dr. in Florida and the other in Virginia, not a proven success and could be dangerous.

Comment from: marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had surgery on my hand with an intravenous drug to put me under. When the prep nurse put the oxygen in my nose, it was on full blast. When I woke up and we were driving home, I noticed a large floater in my right eye. It has since gotten worse. Went to the ophthalmologist yesterday. She saw no other problem, I just have to live with it. Pain in the butt.

Comment from: DeeDee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had cataract surgery in my right eye in October 2006 and my left eye in November 2006. About three to four weeks ago I started to have blurred vision off and on, mostly in the morning after waking up in my right eye. I made an appointment with the ophthalmologist this past Wednesday and he informed me that the right lens that was implanted was cloudy behind it. He said he could fix it with a laser. He did what you call YAG laser surgery. That night I started to get floaters in my right eye, which I had before my cataract surgery. But after the surgery they went away. Now I'm getting the floaters plus blurred vision off and on.

Comment from: duren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Two weeks after my second cataract surgery the fibrous fingers started to move from side to side in my right eye. Then the following week I developed the same symptom in my left eye. When I look down my eyes cloud up. This condition leaves me unsure of what is in front of me, especially at night. My distance vision is pretty good, but close up I'm limited. I almost wish I had not opted for cataract surgery, based on what I'm experiencing. At times it just about drives me crazy. I found the only relief I get during the day is to wear sun glasses, as it tends to darken the fibrous floaters.

Comment from: Roger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had eye floaters since my teens which increased through to my thirties. I started developing flashing lights to the periphery of both eyes around the age of 30. I have an approximate minus nine diopter in both eyes. I have had six retinal detachments in my right eye in the last two years, the last a macula off and a scleral buckle inserted. I currently await posterior capsular opacification treatment via a laser when my surgeon feels that it can be attempted after I had artificial lenses inserted in both eyes. I had two subsequent detachments to my right eye after lens insertion in July 2011. I have no abnormalities like diabetes or lattice degeneration, so always remember to get checked early.

Comment from: Dewar, 55-64 Male Published: January 06

I was involved in a car accident about a month ago and hit my head on the car visor and had a good bump on my head. About a week ago I started seeing a large circular "floater" in my right eye.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.