Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: Scott, Published: March 16

I am 56 and remember my first floaters back 20 some years ago that just seemed to appear. My last episode occurred a day after I had lacerated the palm of my hand and got 10 stitches. We were driving in the car and I kept noticing a crescent shape line in the far left side of my left eye, I kept moving my eye around and then I saw a dark mass that looked like a stingray fish with a tail. I went to the eye doctor and he dilated my eye to see if any damage had occurred retinal or otherwise, and found none, other than the circular floater. It is very annoying and not sure how to really deal with it.

Comment from: Scott Geller MD, Male (Caregiver) Published: December 26

It's interesting how floater patients are misunderstood, since it's an intermittent phenomenon, vision is often measured 20/20, but significantly reduced when the floater is in the visual axis. This is especially problematic for one eyed patients. Laser for eye floaters works in experienced hands and in selected cases. Why it has not been widely adopted is a mystery since there is supporting evidence in the medical literature. I know because I'm an ophthalmologist who has been doing it for over 20 years and have presented at multiple ophthalmology meetings.

Comment from: Average Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I developed a PVD a few months ago in my left eye. Came on suddenly as flashes of light in my periphery along with a black speck like fly buzzing around. A few hours later the flashes stopped and I was left with the speck and a blurry spot both randomly mobile. The best way to describe it is like wearing glasses with a greasy thumb smudge on the left lens and a fly buzzing around constantly. Doctor told me my brain would eventually filter it out. The speck seems to be less noticeable but the smudge is annoying. Been about 4 months now. Apparently there's no treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am 49 years old. I accidentally struck my right eye removing a clothes hanger from a rack. It wasn't a hard strike but enough to cause my eye to water and vision to blur up a bit. The next day I had a couple of floaters in my right eye. It felt like I was seeing an insect (gnat) flying around my chest. I literally beat my chest thinking at first a gnat was flying near me! It's been 6 weeks, and it has faded a bit, or perhaps I've got used to it. It still annoys me though, especially when looking at something with a white background or in bright sunlight.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Hi, in my right eye only. Under stress I see thousands of pin prick spots for a few seconds. Under normal sight I have a crescent shape line in the right hand side of my front vision and a water type line in the right hand side and along the bottom. Saw the specialist locally who says they should disappear with time and that otherwise my retina looks fine.

Comment from: Ahmad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I am 39 years old, I had bilateral myopia and floaters for 20 years. Recently I had a journey to a very warm place, I sweat a lot during that trip; shortly after that I noticed that size of floater in my right eye became significantly enlarged. I wonder is it any role of water deficiency /starvation/diet for worsening of floaters.

Comment from: Mumsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am a nearsighted female, aged 54. Last summer (2010) I had a bout of conjunctivitis possibly brought on by seasonal allergy. I had had minimal floaters for 20 years or more, but a major onset of new heavy-duty floaters developed in my right eye with the conjunctivitis. The old floaters would follow the same direction as my gaze but the new ones go in the opposite direction and are superimposed over the old ones. Annoying! I had the slit-lamp exam twice and the ophthalmologist said it looked normal.

Comment from: SunBird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I think I developed floaters after a course of chemotherapy for chronic leukaemia. They are present in both eyes and I can only see them at dawn and dusk though my night vision is affected. I can't see the stars at night. The floaters improve from time to time but never go away.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.