Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: duren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Two weeks after my second cataract surgery the fibrous fingers started to move from side to side in my right eye. Then the following week I developed the same symptom in my left eye. When I look down my eyes cloud up. This condition leaves me unsure of what is in front of me, especially at night. My distance vision is pretty good, but close up I'm limited. I almost wish I had not opted for cataract surgery, based on what I'm experiencing. At times it just about drives me crazy. I found the only relief I get during the day is to wear sun glasses, as it tends to darken the fibrous floaters.

Comment from: Roger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had eye floaters since my teens which increased through to my thirties. I started developing flashing lights to the periphery of both eyes around the age of 30. I have an approximate minus nine diopter in both eyes. I have had six retinal detachments in my right eye in the last two years, the last a macula off and a scleral buckle inserted. I currently await posterior capsular opacification treatment via a laser when my surgeon feels that it can be attempted after I had artificial lenses inserted in both eyes. I had two subsequent detachments to my right eye after lens insertion in July 2011. I have no abnormalities like diabetes or lattice degeneration, so always remember to get checked early.

Comment from: Dewar, 55-64 Male Published: January 06

I was involved in a car accident about a month ago and hit my head on the car visor and had a good bump on my head. About a week ago I started seeing a large circular "floater" in my right eye.

Comment from: morning_walker, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

I had an experience where I was out walking at around 7:30 p.m. All of a sudden, an image appeared in my eyes. It looked like a fetus (round head and curved-shaped body with no legs). it lasted for about a minute. It appeared to be about one foot long. I closed both eyes and noticed the image getting smaller, but was now it was very red. When I opened my eyes, it disappeared. I have not had this experience since. But the floater scared me. I also have experienced in the past year, a running and itchy left eye. The ophthalmologist told me it is not a blocked tear duct and just to buy over-the-counter allergic tear drops, which I have now been using for a week but to no relief.

Published: July 25

I had floaters from birth as do most people. The doctor said they were remnants from the embryo. Nothing to worry about, nearly everyone has them from birth but do not notice.

Comment from: Scott, Published: March 16

I am 56 and remember my first floaters back 20 some years ago that just seemed to appear. My last episode occurred a day after I had lacerated the palm of my hand and got 10 stitches. We were driving in the car and I kept noticing a crescent shape line in the far left side of my left eye, I kept moving my eye around and then I saw a dark mass that looked like a stingray fish with a tail. I went to the eye doctor and he dilated my eye to see if any damage had occurred retinal or otherwise, and found none, other than the circular floater. It is very annoying and not sure how to really deal with it.

Comment from: Scott Geller MD, Male (Caregiver) Published: December 26

It's interesting how floater patients are misunderstood, since it's an intermittent phenomenon, vision is often measured 20/20, but significantly reduced when the floater is in the visual axis. This is especially problematic for one eyed patients. Laser for eye floaters works in experienced hands and in selected cases. Why it has not been widely adopted is a mystery since there is supporting evidence in the medical literature. I know because I'm an ophthalmologist who has been doing it for over 20 years and have presented at multiple ophthalmology meetings.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?