Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had surgery on my hand with an intravenous drug to put me under. When the prep nurse put the oxygen in my nose, it was on full blast. When I woke up and we were driving home, I noticed a large floater in my right eye. It has since gotten worse. Went to the ophthalmologist yesterday. She saw no other problem, I just have to live with it. Pain in the butt.

Comment from: DeeDee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had cataract surgery in my right eye in October 2006 and my left eye in November 2006. About three to four weeks ago I started to have blurred vision off and on, mostly in the morning after waking up in my right eye. I made an appointment with the ophthalmologist this past Wednesday and he informed me that the right lens that was implanted was cloudy behind it. He said he could fix it with a laser. He did what you call YAG laser surgery. That night I started to get floaters in my right eye, which I had before my cataract surgery. But after the surgery they went away. Now I'm getting the floaters plus blurred vision off and on.

Comment from: duren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Two weeks after my second cataract surgery the fibrous fingers started to move from side to side in my right eye. Then the following week I developed the same symptom in my left eye. When I look down my eyes cloud up. This condition leaves me unsure of what is in front of me, especially at night. My distance vision is pretty good, but close up I'm limited. I almost wish I had not opted for cataract surgery, based on what I'm experiencing. At times it just about drives me crazy. I found the only relief I get during the day is to wear sun glasses, as it tends to darken the fibrous floaters.

Comment from: Roger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had eye floaters since my teens which increased through to my thirties. I started developing flashing lights to the periphery of both eyes around the age of 30. I have an approximate minus nine diopter in both eyes. I have had six retinal detachments in my right eye in the last two years, the last a macula off and a scleral buckle inserted. I currently await posterior capsular opacification treatment via a laser when my surgeon feels that it can be attempted after I had artificial lenses inserted in both eyes. I had two subsequent detachments to my right eye after lens insertion in July 2011. I have no abnormalities like diabetes or lattice degeneration, so always remember to get checked early.

Comment from: Dewar, 55-64 Male Published: January 06

I was involved in a car accident about a month ago and hit my head on the car visor and had a good bump on my head. About a week ago I started seeing a large circular "floater" in my right eye.

Comment from: morning_walker, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

I had an experience where I was out walking at around 7:30 p.m. All of a sudden, an image appeared in my eyes. It looked like a fetus (round head and curved-shaped body with no legs). it lasted for about a minute. It appeared to be about one foot long. I closed both eyes and noticed the image getting smaller, but was now it was very red. When I opened my eyes, it disappeared. I have not had this experience since. But the floater scared me. I also have experienced in the past year, a running and itchy left eye. The ophthalmologist told me it is not a blocked tear duct and just to buy over-the-counter allergic tear drops, which I have now been using for a week but to no relief.

Published: July 25

I had floaters from birth as do most people. The doctor said they were remnants from the embryo. Nothing to worry about, nearly everyone has them from birth but do not notice.

Comment from: patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had floaters when I was under stress during my thirties. The doctor said they would go away. They did and did so very quickly. Now I have a web of floaters which appeared after playing with my grandson. He was throwing bowls of water at me, some directly into my face with pretty good force. I was wearing my glasses. It seems related that the web appeared the next day. I do not have diabetes. I am almost sixty-nine years old with some nearsightedness and some far sightedness. There is also the appearance of a small developing cataract in the eye with the floater web. This cataract was said to be extreme during my small at last eye exam, but I am due for another exam.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.