Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, which we believe caused my eye floaters. I have a small floater in my left eye (like an annoying bug floating near my head).

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female Published: February 01

I remember the exact date the floaters first appeared in my right eye. I had been under stress, and was wearing my contacts (I am extremely near-sighted). I am now a 66 year old female. I thought I had a wispy bit of dust or hair in my eye, and kept blinking and rubbing the lid to dislodge it. That was on August 31st, 2009, at 64 years old. Other than an annoyance, I've simply gotten used to it. On Dec. 10th, 2010, multiple floaters immediately appeared in the other eye. There was also a thin "rim" of light out of the corner of my eye that appeared for a day or so, but disappeared. I had no idea what this condition was and I too, began to worry. I am an artist, and depend on my eyesight for my living with very little social security. I found this informational website to be very enlightening. I will make an appointment with an eye doctor to make sure there are no symptoms of some of the more serious conditions you mentioned. I too, have learned to live with the floaters and pray they don't get any worse. It makes you so grateful for the years of perfect sight (even if you had to wear glasses for it) and also makes you grateful to see at all!

Comment from: fae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

About 7 years ago a chiropractor manipulated my neck and I got a big floater in my eye right away. I learned to live with it and it did not affect my life too much but since a few days I feel overwhelmed with the sight of this floater. Is it that I am more focused on it or did it get worse. I really feel it did because i notice it all the time now. I am so depressed. Of course the chiropractor denied he was the cause and ruined my quality of life...jerk...which i could go back in time.

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had floaters for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I told my mother that I could "see germs". When I was taken in for an eye exam at the age of 8 I was found to be very near sighted. The severity of the floaters hasn't changed over the years - I just wish something could be done to get rid of them, for they are very annoying!

Comment from: Richard, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Just had YAG laser surgery on my lense capsule to rid the capsule of clouding. Now some of that debris is driving me crazy as annoying floaters. Had the same treatment on my other eye about 2 years ago and no annoying floaters. Both YAGs were after cateract surgery. Be careful of two doctors who do YAG surgery on floaters. One Dr. in Florida and the other in Virginia, not a proven success and could be dangerous.

Comment from: marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had surgery on my hand with an intravenous drug to put me under. When the prep nurse put the oxygen in my nose, it was on full blast. When I woke up and we were driving home, I noticed a large floater in my right eye. It has since gotten worse. Went to the ophthalmologist yesterday. She saw no other problem, I just have to live with it. Pain in the butt.

Comment from: DeeDee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had cataract surgery in my right eye in October 2006 and my left eye in November 2006. About three to four weeks ago I started to have blurred vision off and on, mostly in the morning after waking up in my right eye. I made an appointment with the ophthalmologist this past Wednesday and he informed me that the right lens that was implanted was cloudy behind it. He said he could fix it with a laser. He did what you call YAG laser surgery. That night I started to get floaters in my right eye, which I had before my cataract surgery. But after the surgery they went away. Now I'm getting the floaters plus blurred vision off and on.

Comment from: duren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Two weeks after my second cataract surgery the fibrous fingers started to move from side to side in my right eye. Then the following week I developed the same symptom in my left eye. When I look down my eyes cloud up. This condition leaves me unsure of what is in front of me, especially at night. My distance vision is pretty good, but close up I'm limited. I almost wish I had not opted for cataract surgery, based on what I'm experiencing. At times it just about drives me crazy. I found the only relief I get during the day is to wear sun glasses, as it tends to darken the fibrous floaters.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?