Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: maryfran07, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had floaters in my right eye which I got used to because they were not big. Had a detached retina in left eye and had laser surgery and when it was done I had such big floaters in my left eye, I could hardly see. Some of them are gone however there is one big one that really gets to me. Always think a bug or someone is passing behind me. Dr. says it's nothing to be concerned about so I just need to learn to live with it.

Comment from: Roro, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

It was a few years ago (about 2) that I started getting floaters. I have one long one in my right eye and more small black spots in the other one. It all started when I was being "attacked" by my friend and I was going in circles and I fell on the ground straight on my right side of my face. I don't know what exactly happened, but I had a big bruise under my right eye. Over time I saw it less, but it still gives me goose bumps when I DO manage to see it in a light area. (Light colored room or just the sky).

Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, which we believe caused my eye floaters. I have a small floater in my left eye (like an annoying bug floating near my head).

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female Published: February 01

I remember the exact date the floaters first appeared in my right eye. I had been under stress, and was wearing my contacts (I am extremely near-sighted). I am now a 66 year old female. I thought I had a wispy bit of dust or hair in my eye, and kept blinking and rubbing the lid to dislodge it. That was on August 31st, 2009, at 64 years old. Other than an annoyance, I've simply gotten used to it. On Dec. 10th, 2010, multiple floaters immediately appeared in the other eye. There was also a thin "rim" of light out of the corner of my eye that appeared for a day or so, but disappeared. I had no idea what this condition was and I too, began to worry. I am an artist, and depend on my eyesight for my living with very little social security. I found this informational website to be very enlightening. I will make an appointment with an eye doctor to make sure there are no symptoms of some of the more serious conditions you mentioned. I too, have learned to live with the floaters and pray they don't get any worse. It makes you so grateful for the years of perfect sight (even if you had to wear glasses for it) and also makes you grateful to see at all!

Comment from: Provigil sleep Apnea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

The Provigil and modafinil drugs are safe and good to use to treat sleeping disorders. It is the best way to increase wakefulness, increase mild alertness and also improve memory.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

A few months ago I started seeing this floater. It scared the heck out of me for I am diabetic. My doctor told me it would go away, but she did not say when. It's been months now and I still see it. This floater is absolutely annoying. I tried Visine to no avail. I will wait until it goes by itself.

Comment from: fae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

About 7 years ago a chiropractor manipulated my neck and I got a big floater in my eye right away. I learned to live with it and it did not affect my life too much but since a few days I feel overwhelmed with the sight of this floater. Is it that I am more focused on it or did it get worse. I really feel it did because i notice it all the time now. I am so depressed. Of course the chiropractor denied he was the cause and ruined my quality of life...jerk...which i could go back in time.

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had floaters for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I told my mother that I could "see germs". When I was taken in for an eye exam at the age of 8 I was found to be very near sighted. The severity of the floaters hasn't changed over the years - I just wish something could be done to get rid of them, for they are very annoying!

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.