Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: Hal, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I developed a floater in my left eye after I fell down and hit my head hard on the washroom floor. The floater developed after 2 or 3 days after my head trauma. I got my eyes evaluated by my ophthalmologist for retinal detachment or anything severe. I was lucky except for these floaters which from what I read here, I have to live with.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I am 61 years old. My extreme myopia was successfully corrected with laser eye surgery back in 2001. At the age of 31 years old, after experiencing blunt trauma, I was diagnosed with floaters in both eyes, which faded away over time. The ophthalmologist informed me that my nearsightedness made me prone to producing floaters due to the shape of my eyes. A few days ago, while doing a home improvement project, I lightly smacked my left eye with the back of my hand while prying a fastener from a wall. Soon, a few floaters appeared in my vision, with one larger one that is sort of annoying. I will be checking with an ophthalmologist as soon as I can get an appointment to assess any other damage to my eye. This experience reminded me that even though the Lasik treatment corrected my vision, the structure of my eyes that had caused the nearsightedness in the first place is still the same. Also, at this point in my life, it does not take much of a hit to my eyes to produce that kind of damage.

Comment from: brnfingrs, 25-34 Male Published: January 10

I had a scleral buckle done one year ago on my right eye. Since then the floaters have impaired my depth perception. Glares at night driving suck as well. Trying to use my eyes to read all my materials for my nursing courses forced me to try to get further help. Instead a surgery on my left eye to repair a rip gave me what I hoped was more time for tests instead was used to push me out of my nursing clinician for restrictions. These floaters have hindered the only career I have ever wanted.

Comment from: maryfran07, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had floaters in my right eye which I got used to because they were not big. Had a detached retina in left eye and had laser surgery and when it was done I had such big floaters in my left eye, I could hardly see. Some of them are gone however there is one big one that really gets to me. Always think a bug or someone is passing behind me. Dr. says it's nothing to be concerned about so I just need to learn to live with it.

Comment from: muniek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

Last Wednesday I noticed a problem with my right eye. We were on vacation and I thought gnats were flying around my face. We were on an island and the bugs were intense. I quickly noticed the spot or floater moved with my right eye movement. I made an appointment with my eye doctor to see him immediately on my return. I just had the tubing removed from my right eye 3 weeks ago from tear duct reconstruction surgery. I was very pleased with the surgery and don't think this is directly related. I just turned 60 and wonder if this isn't just age related. My eye doctor diagnosed my condition as 'PVD/Syneresis' and asked me to return in 2 weeks for a follow-up. I am seeing flashes of light which is odd. He also advised me against any strenuous activity until I see him next.

Comment from: Roro, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

It was a few years ago (about 2) that I started getting floaters. I have one long one in my right eye and more small black spots in the other one. It all started when I was being "attacked" by my friend and I was going in circles and I fell on the ground straight on my right side of my face. I don't know what exactly happened, but I had a big bruise under my right eye. Over time I saw it less, but it still gives me goose bumps when I DO manage to see it in a light area. (Light colored room or just the sky).

Comment from: SSSS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have eye floaters in both eyes since childhood. Sometimes I am more aware of them. It seems that they have some connection with cold, but I am not sure.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?