Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters?

Comment from: maryfran07, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had floaters in my right eye which I got used to because they were not big. Had a detached retina in left eye and had laser surgery and when it was done I had such big floaters in my left eye, I could hardly see. Some of them are gone however there is one big one that really gets to me. Always think a bug or someone is passing behind me. Dr. says it's nothing to be concerned about so I just need to learn to live with it.

Comment from: muniek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

Last Wednesday I noticed a problem with my right eye. We were on vacation and I thought gnats were flying around my face. We were on an island and the bugs were intense. I quickly noticed the spot or floater moved with my right eye movement. I made an appointment with my eye doctor to see him immediately on my return. I just had the tubing removed from my right eye 3 weeks ago from tear duct reconstruction surgery. I was very pleased with the surgery and don't think this is directly related. I just turned 60 and wonder if this isn't just age related. My eye doctor diagnosed my condition as 'PVD/Syneresis' and asked me to return in 2 weeks for a follow-up. I am seeing flashes of light which is odd. He also advised me against any strenuous activity until I see him next.

Comment from: Roro, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

It was a few years ago (about 2) that I started getting floaters. I have one long one in my right eye and more small black spots in the other one. It all started when I was being "attacked" by my friend and I was going in circles and I fell on the ground straight on my right side of my face. I don't know what exactly happened, but I had a big bruise under my right eye. Over time I saw it less, but it still gives me goose bumps when I DO manage to see it in a light area. (Light colored room or just the sky).

Comment from: SSSS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have eye floaters in both eyes since childhood. Sometimes I am more aware of them. It seems that they have some connection with cold, but I am not sure.

Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, which we believe caused my eye floaters. I have a small floater in my left eye (like an annoying bug floating near my head).

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female Published: February 01

I remember the exact date the floaters first appeared in my right eye. I had been under stress, and was wearing my contacts (I am extremely near-sighted). I am now a 66 year old female. I thought I had a wispy bit of dust or hair in my eye, and kept blinking and rubbing the lid to dislodge it. That was on August 31st, 2009, at 64 years old. Other than an annoyance, I've simply gotten used to it. On Dec. 10th, 2010, multiple floaters immediately appeared in the other eye. There was also a thin "rim" of light out of the corner of my eye that appeared for a day or so, but disappeared. I had no idea what this condition was and I too, began to worry. I am an artist, and depend on my eyesight for my living with very little social security. I found this informational website to be very enlightening. I will make an appointment with an eye doctor to make sure there are no symptoms of some of the more serious conditions you mentioned. I too, have learned to live with the floaters and pray they don't get any worse. It makes you so grateful for the years of perfect sight (even if you had to wear glasses for it) and also makes you grateful to see at all!

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had floaters for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I told my mother that I could "see germs". When I was taken in for an eye exam at the age of 8 I was found to be very near sighted. The severity of the floaters hasn't changed over the years - I just wish something could be done to get rid of them, for they are very annoying!

Comment from: Richard, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Just had YAG laser surgery on my lense capsule to rid the capsule of clouding. Now some of that debris is driving me crazy as annoying floaters. Had the same treatment on my other eye about 2 years ago and no annoying floaters. Both YAGs were after cateract surgery. Be careful of two doctors who do YAG surgery on floaters. One Dr. in Florida and the other in Virginia, not a proven success and could be dangerous.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.