Patient Comments: Floaters - Surgery

Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Floater Sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had two vitrectomies to remove my floaters. I am 46 years old and could not picture having to live the rest of my life with them. I had the floaters for a year and was very depressed and felt like I could not face life and enjoy quality of life. It is six months since the right eye and three months since the left eye and I am only now starting to feel that my eyes are clearing nicely as one is affected afterwards by a lot of post operation debris. I am very happy with my decision and feel very fortunate that I found an awesome retinal specialist who could help get my quality of life back again! I just want all the floater sufferers out there to know I feel for you, having floaters is a very depressing and debilitating thing to have and it is such a pity that floaters is a thing that the eye doctors expect you to live with. I know for a fact that if all eye doctors, retinal specialists and ophthalmologists suffered from floaters they would not be able to operate on their patients! There should be a pair of glasses that family members and eye doctors put on so they can see what we floaters sufferers are putting up with. I feel very passionately about fighting for the floater sufferer"s cause... pity we are not taken seriously by the eye profession! Hopefully one day there will be a safe cure.

Comment from: bikergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have floaters in my left eye. I went to the doctor and he said they do not treat them unless I am a pilot. I can't see out of it. It affects my entire vision now. I will see him again on Monday. My eye did get used to them for a little while but now it is worse.

Comment from: Grant, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a large floater that blocked my left eye. I had a vitrectomy to fix it and it worked perfectly - but now the floaters in my right eye are growing.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.