Patient Comments: Floaters - Surgery

Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Floater Sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had two vitrectomies to remove my floaters. I am 46 years old and could not picture having to live the rest of my life with them. I had the floaters for a year and was very depressed and felt like I could not face life and enjoy quality of life. It is six months since the right eye and three months since the left eye and I am only now starting to feel that my eyes are clearing nicely as one is affected afterwards by a lot of post operation debris. I am very happy with my decision and feel very fortunate that I found an awesome retinal specialist who could help get my quality of life back again! I just want all the floater sufferers out there to know I feel for you, having floaters is a very depressing and debilitating thing to have and it is such a pity that floaters is a thing that the eye doctors expect you to live with. I know for a fact that if all eye doctors, retinal specialists and ophthalmologists suffered from floaters they would not be able to operate on their patients! There should be a pair of glasses that family members and eye doctors put on so they can see what we floaters sufferers are putting up with. I feel very passionately about fighting for the floater sufferer"s cause... pity we are not taken seriously by the eye profession! Hopefully one day there will be a safe cure.

Comment from: bikergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have floaters in my left eye. I went to the doctor and he said they do not treat them unless I am a pilot. I can't see out of it. It affects my entire vision now. I will see him again on Monday. My eye did get used to them for a little while but now it is worse.

Comment from: Fuzzy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I just got a second opinion and 2nd eye exam by two independent ophthalmologists within 90 days. This in an attempt to understand persistent floaters. After the first exam the doctor simply told me that I have cataracts, with no explanation. Thus, I assumed that a surgical remedy for the floaters exists. The second exam, by a different specialist who explained the separation of vitreous humor adjacent to the retina may result in floaters. My fix is to wear a cap, this acts as a lens hood to help the glare both indoors and outside. Vitamins!

Comment from: Grant, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a large floater that blocked my left eye. I had a vitrectomy to fix it and it worked perfectly - but now the floaters in my right eye are growing.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.