Patient Comments: Floaters - How Common?

At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?

Comment from: tubalaw, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a spidery floater develop in my left eye 2 days after playing my sousaphone in a college pep band at a basketball game. I am 64 years old and very nearsighted. I visited my eye doctor immediately, on the chance that it might be a detached retina, but it was not. He said onset could be caused by physical trauma (e.g., a car accident) and did not think playing the horn would cause it. However, the sousaphone weighs 45 pounds, I lifted it onto and off my shoulder at least 15 times during the game, and the effort to play the horn loudly in the pep band is similar to a weightlifter grunting on a lift (which he said could be an example of causal physical trauma).

Comment from: RSandman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My floater first appeared as a child. It rose to the level of noticeable annoyance during college. It worsened to affect daily tasks at 48. How often have I 'gotten' a floater? Good grief, that's like 'how often do you breath!' You just live with them; you glance up or around to shift them out of the way; you ignore them when doing active tasks; you sigh and wish them away every few seconds because they continually drift through your vision focus area, every day, every minute, every second you have your eyes open.

Comment from: A.steven.sian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I am 21 years old and I started having a floater in my left eye. It happened 2 days ago and I'm getting worried. I wonder if this will go away. I only have one black spot. It is very annoying.

Comment from: JohnS., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 53 years old. I have had bad floaters for 5 months. I believe they started when I lifted my ATV to slide it over about 6 inches. I've been to 2 eye doctors. There's nothing they can do. They said a 50/50 chance they will go away. I can hardly read anything clearly.

Comment from: Kadj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

In Jan 2012, I suffered from retinal edema after giving birth to a premature baby. I had pre-eclampsia. I was given Acular as my medication. Months later, I started seeing floaters. I thought it was still part of the retinal problem. More than 2 years passed then I realized they were not gone. I saw a doctor, and he sad those were eye floaters. I am nearsighted and now I am 34.

Comment from: Nils Mortensen, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I started 2 months ago to see a shadow like a small bundle of hair dancing in front of my left eye at all time. I had a cataract surgery with laser 5 years ago on this eye.

Comment from: milledj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was very nearsighted, but had radial keratotomy (RK) surgery in 1987. It went well, but about 20 years later, my sight started degrading. Anyway, I have a very flat cornea because of the RK. This year, 2013 on April 17th, I started seeing flashes on the edge of sight on my right eye, my worst. I went to the doctor right away, and she thought I am suffering from the posterior vitreous detachment. However, it wasn"t bad enough to do anything but watch... I go back in a few weeks. Currently, the flashes have diminished, but I have a nasty floater that looks like a wad of fuzz with a long stringer in my right eye which is very distracting. I am 57, will be 58 in July.

Comment from: AgingGraceful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The floaters started today. I just turned 56 and have always had very bad eyes. My goodness, the human body moves forward for years and then starts moving backwards. I wonder if this is caused by contact lenses. I will start to wear my eyeglasses more and see.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.