Patient Comments: Floaters - How Common?

At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?

Comment from: AgingGraceful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The floaters started today. I just turned 56 and have always had very bad eyes. My goodness, the human body moves forward for years and then starts moving backwards. I wonder if this is caused by contact lenses. I will start to wear my eyeglasses more and see.

Comment from: Hank, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 81 and had cataract surgery done in both eyes, one eye in November and one eye in December. I now have floating spots in both eyes and a light gray cloud formation that is very annoying. A retina specialist examined me though thoroughly and told me they were in the fluid in my eye and would never go away and I would have to live with it. My distance vision is 20/20 but I need glasses to read. Before the surgery I could read without glasses. My brother had the spots and his doctor said it was cholesterol in the arteries and corrected it somehow. I think I will check it out.

Comment from: skater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Since my early 30's I have noticed floaters especially in white wall rooms and I tend to wear sunglasses whenever outside since they are more noticeable in bright light. They do not seem to be diminishing with time and may even be a little more frequent now that I am 49.

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.