Patient Comments: Floaters - What They Look Like

Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.

Comment from: Mike_in_OK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Last year I had cataract surgery for both eyes and monofocal lenses installed. A year after the procedures, I have noticed large stringy floaters in my right eye along with some tiny round ones. These are a nuisance because they are always in the normal field of view instead of the periphery. I"m going to visit my optometrist next week to have my eye examined for possible retinal damage. I can only hope that isn"t the case. Perhaps these new floaters can be broken up with a YAG laser, otherwise, I may need a vitrectomy.

Comment from: flower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have floater in left eye, oval or round and moves with eye movement. When I close my eyes and move them back and forth there is a "lightning” type of flash on the far right of my left eye.

Comment from: Q, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I got very unpleasant news - looked up at the sky and there it was, big worm-like floater. That is it.

Comment from: geegy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I get annoyed with the eye floater on my right eye. It is look like an insect. I can see only one eye floater but if I get restless then it will increase its numbers on the day. Again I will see the one on the next day.

Comment from: Joegoodmn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had an itch in my left eye and rubbed it and the floater appeared immediately. I feel I did the damage.

Comment from: happycamper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My floater suddenly appeared one day. At first I thought I had a spider in front of my eye,possibly hanging from my hair. I kept trying to brush it away with my hand as it was annoying esp. when I was trying to do paperwork. I went to the eye doctor immediately and found out it was a floater. Whenever I move my eyes the floater moves, too. Can be annoying at times but am adjusting to it and not noticing it as much. I can see a light black spot even when my eyes are closed

Floaters - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with floaters.
Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.