Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: SK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

After a high fever one winter day, masses of floaters abruptly appeared in both of my eyes. They were like spider webs, some rather dark and are of different shapes and sizes. I have been to many doctors and eye specialists but they found my eyes to be very normal and some told me these floaters would go away in time. That was 36 years ago and I am still disturbed by these floaters. They did not go away. More medical research should be done to safely cure people of floaters.

Comment from: Jimi1967, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I recently saw my ophthalmologist for a routine check and was told everything was great. I'm 58, I don't wear glasses (except readers) and have had good vision my entire life. A few days after my doctor visit, I developed a large ghostly blob that floats in and out of the visual field of my right eye. It obscures my vision and is driving me crazy. If it were not for my good left eye, I don't think I would even be able to drive. I went right back to my doctor who told me 'sorry, there's nothing we can do.' I can only hope that this large floater is eventually reabsorbed into the vitreous fluid.

Comment from: Cynde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suddenly had black spider like shapes appear in my right eye. I kept trying to brush it away because I thought it was an eyelash, insect or string. It didn't go away and I could still see it when I closed my eye. It happened so suddenly and without pain.

Comment from: AJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I first noticed the first floater at age 14, since then, new forms appeared in both eyes. They look like small worms and one of them (the darkest) is a perfect circle. These floaters can be very annoying, especially on foggy days, since the contrast is greater.

Comment from: Nelson, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

The floater is in my left eye. It came on very suddenly and I first thought I had captured a large spider web on the bill of my cap. The floater looks like a black drop of ink when it is dropped in water. It changes sizes and numbers during the day. Additionally if I focus on a white object and close my right eye I see hundreds of small floating dots that look like soot.

Comment from: J. Bioh, Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I was taking my bath, and some of the foam dropped on my right eye. I felt severe pain for a minute. The next three days when I looked up on the sky I see thousands of tiny black spots on my vision.

Comment from: I Roy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

From childhood when I was 6 to 7 years old I used to see floaters. But that time I did not realize that it is a disease. I took it lightly and ignored it. I was myopic from that time. I used to wear spectacles. I had a regular checkup with an ophthalmologist. But I never told him that I saw floaters. I didn't even think that it was a condition to mention. Then gradually myopic power of the lens of my spectacles increased. When I was 13 to 14 years old, for the first time an ophthalmologist suspected that I may see floaters. But somehow that time too I ignored it. Now I am 19 and now it's really a serious problem. My retina has got severe degeneration as doctor said. In January this year I have undergone a laser barrage surgery to protect the weak spots occurred in retina and to prevent the detachment of retina. But it's not the end of it. I need another laser surgery very soon. Now I really repent for ignoring the very first symptom of this disease. Doctor is surprised to see such a massive degeneration in this age. I am scared too.

Comment from: susy954, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I got my floaters by having an ultra sound test for a nodule on my thyroid. I had to put my head back all the way until the top of my head was on the table. My thyroid is very low and they had a hard time doing the ultra sound. My head was upside down for over half an hour and when I got up I could not see... large floaters in both eyes. That was 4 months ago. I have gone to 3 doctors for the floaters and they say nothing can be done. It obstructs my vision and there are many in both eyes. I can't stand them, but I am told nothing can be done. Hopeless!

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?