Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: GaryG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Yesterday I experienced a very weird vision problem. I had a reoccurring floater object which seemed to be in my left eye. When I closed my left eye it still existed. When I closed my right eye it still existed. When I closed both eyes I saw a very clear image. It started from a small rectangle and then the lines form a very precise set of graphics. I would describe it as a set of 5 or so stair steps going up and then a set of 8 or so going down. The graphics constantly moved from lower right to upper left. I was not blinking or constantly opening and shutting my eyes. The Lines were black with a bright white section on both sides. With my eyes open I could see the shapes but they looked more like a typical floater. The images existed for around 8 minutes and then went away.

Comment from: ashes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got my floater in December, in my left eye. I was driving when I first noticed it. I thought it was a small bug or something flying around. It looks like a tiny grayish blob but I can never look directly at it. Sometimes it goes away. Sometimes if I blink really hard it goes away. It doesn"t bother me as much anymore, it doesn"t obstruct my vision or anything.

Comment from: Miller, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

The floater is in my right eye. When I look down, the top half of my vision is obscured by a grey cloud.

Comment from: SomeLady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

This is what happened first, picture if you can, having a piece of glass in front of your face and a black line scribbled across it. Everywhere you move your eyes that black line moves with them (moving the glass with your eyes) back and forth, up and down. I put eye drops in, rubbed my eyes thinking I had something in my eye. Today it is clearer but still a squiggly line moving across my eyes all day. I will look out of the corner of my eye thinking there is a person or the cat walking by but there was nothing, just that squiggly shadow/line. My vision is also very blurred, like it has dramatically changed in the last few days.

Comment from: Cynthia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have never had floaters until last Sunday, they just showed up! I had a thorough examination by a retina specialist who told me that there was no tear in the retina so just watch out for new floaters. How can one tell if a floater is new! I am 66 and have been nearsighted my whole life, this just makes it worse.

Comment from: Babs, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had right eye cataract removal 5 days ago and for the last three days I have these minute black spots in that eye and a haze that are very troubling. The surgeon said she thinks the condition is blood in the eye.

Comment from: julia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I noticed the floater a few days ago, and it has been driving me nuts. It looks like a black dot in my right upper peripheral vision, it almost looks like a fruit fly and I catch myself swatting at it every here and there. It's worse when I'm somewhere bright or taking a test, (I'm 20 years old and I'm a student!) and when I'm somewhere more dim or dark it's less noticeable. Like I said, I'm only 20 years old and I really hope I don't have to deal with "floaters" for the rest of my life. I don't have insurance to see an ophthalmologist either, so I'm not sure what to do!

Comment from: Aging sucks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

The floaters in my eyes are so large, my ophthalmologist stated, "Gosh, it looks like I could just reach in there and grab them." They are big, and they cover a large area of my vision. I don't think there is anything I can do, but it makes it very difficult to do my job, that is, looking in a microscope. From the ocular of the scope my floaters look like aliens with tentacles and random hair outgrowths. I hate these, but my choice is laser or what I call, "scoop-out" surgery, and those are out. So I have great vision that is rendered miserable by objects that float in my vitreous fluid.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.