Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: Cynthia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have never had floaters until last Sunday, they just showed up! I had a thorough examination by a retina specialist who told me that there was no tear in the retina so just watch out for new floaters. How can one tell if a floater is new! I am 66 and have been nearsighted my whole life, this just makes it worse.

Comment from: Babs, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had right eye cataract removal 5 days ago and for the last three days I have these minute black spots in that eye and a haze that are very troubling. The surgeon said she thinks the condition is blood in the eye.

Comment from: julia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I noticed the floater a few days ago, and it has been driving me nuts. It looks like a black dot in my right upper peripheral vision, it almost looks like a fruit fly and I catch myself swatting at it every here and there. It's worse when I'm somewhere bright or taking a test, (I'm 20 years old and I'm a student!) and when I'm somewhere more dim or dark it's less noticeable. Like I said, I'm only 20 years old and I really hope I don't have to deal with "floaters" for the rest of my life. I don't have insurance to see an ophthalmologist either, so I'm not sure what to do!

Comment from: Aging sucks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

The floaters in my eyes are so large, my ophthalmologist stated, "Gosh, it looks like I could just reach in there and grab them." They are big, and they cover a large area of my vision. I don't think there is anything I can do, but it makes it very difficult to do my job, that is, looking in a microscope. From the ocular of the scope my floaters look like aliens with tentacles and random hair outgrowths. I hate these, but my choice is laser or what I call, "scoop-out" surgery, and those are out. So I have great vision that is rendered miserable by objects that float in my vitreous fluid.

Comment from: soso1264, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Several months later, I began to have floaters in my right eye. I was shopping when these black spider like forms appeared in my eye. I panicked and went to see a retina specialist the very next day. He dilated both my eyes and said my eyes were healthy. It has been over a year now since both of my surgeries and today I'm seeing floaters in my left eye. I'll be going to the retina specialist this Monday. I hate having them. Some days are worse than others. But I'm not as scared as I was about them the first time it happened.

Comment from: yay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have eye floaters. They began a few weeks ago. I am 48 years old and had Lasix surgery 13 years ago and my sight is starting to diminish. I also have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and am using a light box beginning last month. I am treated for depression and have nightmares regularly.

Comment from: CmeNow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have just today experienced seeing a floater that looked like a big black blob, sort of like the size and the length of a caterpillar.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 18

I experienced a large mass of floaters in my right eye over a year ago. On or two of them are quite large, and if the light is right, I can see a large "swarm" of tiny ones. My optometrist diagnosed partial detachment of the vitreous, though this type of thing happens to people in their 60's, typically. I was 56. I also have keratoconus. There was a flash of light on the side of my eye which I understand is normal when this happens. This light has subsided over the year, not the same thing happened in my left eye this week. A couple of these floaters are very large. It's annoying for sure. It's like having a swarm of some strange strand-like or spots that you can't quite see, always with you. I would like to have surgery to remove them if possible.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.