Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: dor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Out of nowhere, today I got in my car and thought there was something flying around; about 1/2 diameter and black. It is in my right eye and it is floating on the peripheral side.

Comment from: Jaycool, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had cataract surgery, about 2 years ago. Now I notice that I have a floater in my right eye, not constantly. Sometimes it is aggravating. I also just noticed in the past months or so, when I look at a window frame with my left eye, it looks somewhat wavy, and the poles don't' look natural straight. I'm going to my doctor Monday morning, 3/14/16.

Comment from: JMSNQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have pathological myopia and had surgery for retinal tears on both eyes eight years ago. Everything has been pretty good since then, until one week ago when I began having flashes in my left eye and then a huge floater burst in. This was due to a posterior vitreous detachment. Because of the floater's size and its location in the center of my eye, I cannot escape having to look through it at any time I'm awake and conscious. I'm so disheartened to think I might have it for the rest of my days.

Comment from: SK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

After a high fever one winter day, masses of floaters abruptly appeared in both of my eyes. They were like spider webs, some rather dark and are of different shapes and sizes. I have been to many doctors and eye specialists but they found my eyes to be very normal and some told me these floaters would go away in time. That was 36 years ago and I am still disturbed by these floaters. They did not go away. More medical research should be done to safely cure people of floaters.

Comment from: Jimi1967, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I recently saw my ophthalmologist for a routine check and was told everything was great. I'm 58, I don't wear glasses (except readers) and have had good vision my entire life. A few days after my doctor visit, I developed a large ghostly blob that floats in and out of the visual field of my right eye. It obscures my vision and is driving me crazy. If it were not for my good left eye, I don't think I would even be able to drive. I went right back to my doctor who told me 'sorry, there's nothing we can do.' I can only hope that this large floater is eventually reabsorbed into the vitreous fluid.

Comment from: J. Bioh, Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I was taking my bath, and some of the foam dropped on my right eye. I felt severe pain for a minute. The next three days when I looked up on the sky I see thousands of tiny black spots on my vision.

Comment from: Cynde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suddenly had black spider like shapes appear in my right eye. I kept trying to brush it away because I thought it was an eyelash, insect or string. It didn't go away and I could still see it when I closed my eye. It happened so suddenly and without pain.

Comment from: AJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I first noticed the first floater at age 14, since then, new forms appeared in both eyes. They look like small worms and one of them (the darkest) is a perfect circle. These floaters can be very annoying, especially on foggy days, since the contrast is greater.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?