Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: duhon78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am severely myopic and have noticed floaters over the last six months. I am 30 years old and wonder if this age is abnormally young for floaters. I've been trying to wear my coke bottle glasses more often, and this seems to relieve some eye irritation, but not the floaters.

Comment from: hazel193, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I've had floaters for as long as I can remember ... a lot of them. I don't fit any of the usual profiles. I'm extremely far-sighted. I don't have diabetes. I've never had surgery on my eyes. I don't and have never had any of the other diseases mentioned in the article. They are annoying. I was told an acupuncturist can help.

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Male Published: October 14

I'm a 32-year-old man, who has eye floaters mostly in my right eye. Sometimes they are annoying, especially when looking at plain and light surfaces (like the sky or bright walls). Some days they are more annoying than others. If I could, I would get rid of them. I think I have had them since I can remember. They initially seemed like small dots of hot air (almost transparent). I used to turn my head around chasing these "dots of air." Now my vision looks like some dark lines and spots. It's worse than it used to be.

Comment from: CmeNow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have just today experienced seeing a floater that looked like a big black blob, sort of like the size and the length of a caterpillar.

Comment from: DAMIAN, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had floaters since birth. After cataract surgery my left eye got worse, sometimes I feel desperate. I went to a Florida doctor and had 8 laser treatments but no improvement at all after spending over $3,000 with the treatment. Doctors should seek a cure for this problem that affects millions of people worldwide; hope soon, before I die (I 69 now), I will have a cure for this problem.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 55 and there is only one word needed to describe eye floaters: annoying.

Comment from: victoriac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have just recently developed quite a few floaters in both my eyes. Most of them in my left eye. They look like long threads and move around when I move my eyes. I have gone to two different eye doctors and a retina specialist. They have all said it happens with age and they will eventually will settle to the bottom of my eye or my brain will learn to ignore them. It has been 3 months and no change. I talked to the retina specialist and he said that there is a surgery called a vitrectomy to get rid of floaters but there is a risk of developing cataracts. Has anyone had this surgery or have any advice on how to ignore these. I do not like going outside anymore because of these and its hurting my quality of life.

Comment from: TonyRoq, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

Floaters began appearing in my field of vision about a year ago. An ophthalmologist said, “Nothing to be done; just don't worry.” One thing I wonder about and I hope someone out there can offer some help, is why the intensity of the disturbance in the field of vision varies from day to day. I think there must be some connection to lifestyle and diet. In my case, drinking alcohol almost certainly makes the activity of the floaters more intense. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed effects of diet on their vision.

Comment from: Ally, 45-54 Female Published: April 22

Four months ago, I noticed what I thought was a hair hanging down in my right eye. I tried bathing it over and over, but it made no difference. I went to my doctor, who referred me to an ophthalmologist, who diagnosed a floater. He said it might drift out of view in time. I am an artist and deeply depressed about this issue.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.