Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Published: August 12

My father suffered from floaters in both eyes and simply could not live with the "just learn to live with it philosophy." After doing a great deal of research on the subject (and making the rounds to the other doctors) he went to the doctor in CA and had the laser procedure done with great success. His quality of life has been restored and his floaters are a fraction of what they were. Dr. Johnson is an extremely meticulous, very competent doctor who was an absolute pleasure to work with.

Comment from: Pat, 13-18 Male Published: May 01

I am 15 years old and I have had eye floaters for about as long as I can remember. I have tons of them, but I've never taken much worry. Also, my parents never understood and thought I was making it up. That was, until my mom developed some. She went to the eye doctor and they told her. Now she understands what I was going through. Is it normal to develop them very early? I'm thinking about getting them checked.

Comment from: junebugg, 65-74 Female Published: November 19

I am 70 yrs. old and have had floaters for about 6-7 years. I also at times have 100s of floaters with flashers in both eyes. This is very scary, and annoying. My eye doctor an optometrist said no signs of detachment, but should go to the hospital immediately if my vision is cloudy, do I need to see someone else? I am not satisfied with his answer. I have had these for about 2 weeks this time and they are very bothersome, especially the flashers.

Comment from: mks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

The description of the floaters I see would be more like a kaleidoscope of silver light. I see a curved line in each eye that consists of what you would see when looking through a kaleidoscope. I do not know how else to describe it. Each appear to be the same curved line in each eye. They last about 15 minutes and occur every 3 months.

Comment from: chuk, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My floaters appear as a big circle with squiggle lines and big black spots. Also tiny black spots appear as though I am looking at thousands of bugs what can I do I am desperate.

Comment from: Sight For Sore Eyes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I am a 44 year old male and have had floaters since I was at least 30 years old. They have gotten more numerous and annoying every year. They vary in appearance and look like black thread with debris attached to them. Some are transparent, and look like long cell structures under a microscope. I searched the Internet and found a doctor who treats these floaters with a laser.

Comment from: rummelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Mine are like a circle and I have a few lines and squiggles. I wish we did not have them; I have the protein kind; can they go away as well? I read somewhere that protein floaters can go away eventually. Thanks and does that mean we will always have floaters once we start? Also has anyone gotten rid of their floaters and how? Thanks for any help from an almost a year floater sufferer.

Comment from: josh, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 15 years old and I have very apparent eye floaters. In fact I believe I have had them since, at least 6 years of age. They seem to be more noticeable when I'm lacking sleep, and when I look into a bright light, without moving my pupil at all, I can't see them in much detail.

Comment from: Ellie, 55-64 Female Published: September 26

It feels like I have mascara stuck on the end of my fringe or eyelashes, sometimes when I'm concentrating, I forgot about it, however if I think about it I can still see it, very annoying and irritating at times, looking for a cure.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.