Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: julia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I noticed the floater a few days ago, and it has been driving me nuts. It looks like a black dot in my right upper peripheral vision, it almost looks like a fruit fly and I catch myself swatting at it every here and there. It's worse when I'm somewhere bright or taking a test, (I'm 20 years old and I'm a student!) and when I'm somewhere more dim or dark it's less noticeable. Like I said, I'm only 20 years old and I really hope I don't have to deal with "floaters" for the rest of my life. I don't have insurance to see an ophthalmologist either, so I'm not sure what to do!

Comment from: Aging sucks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

The floaters in my eyes are so large, my ophthalmologist stated, "Gosh, it looks like I could just reach in there and grab them." They are big, and they cover a large area of my vision. I don't think there is anything I can do, but it makes it very difficult to do my job, that is, looking in a microscope. From the ocular of the scope my floaters look like aliens with tentacles and random hair outgrowths. I hate these, but my choice is laser or what I call, "scoop-out" surgery, and those are out. So I have great vision that is rendered miserable by objects that float in my vitreous fluid.

Comment from: soso1264, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Several months later, I began to have floaters in my right eye. I was shopping when these black spider like forms appeared in my eye. I panicked and went to see a retina specialist the very next day. He dilated both my eyes and said my eyes were healthy. It has been over a year now since both of my surgeries and today I'm seeing floaters in my left eye. I'll be going to the retina specialist this Monday. I hate having them. Some days are worse than others. But I'm not as scared as I was about them the first time it happened.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 18

I experienced a large mass of floaters in my right eye over a year ago. On or two of them are quite large, and if the light is right, I can see a large "swarm" of tiny ones. My optometrist diagnosed partial detachment of the vitreous, though this type of thing happens to people in their 60's, typically. I was 56. I also have keratoconus. There was a flash of light on the side of my eye which I understand is normal when this happens. This light has subsided over the year, not the same thing happened in my left eye this week. A couple of these floaters are very large. It's annoying for sure. It's like having a swarm of some strange strand-like or spots that you can't quite see, always with you. I would like to have surgery to remove them if possible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had problems with floaters my whole life. Several years ago I had a partial detachment of the retina and the floaters took over my vision. Then the same thing happened in my other eye. My ophthalmologist told me that nothing could be done, yet referred me to a retinal specialist who took one look, said "those are the worst floaters I have ever seen" and scheduled me for surgery the following month. I've had two surgeries to remove the vitreous fluid from my eyes and the floaters with them. For a couple of months, I had beautiful, perfect (with glasses) vision. Then the cataracts started advancing. At first I was OK ... I had been told that my cataracts would get worse. My eyes are "interesting" said one surgeon who passed on doing my cataract surgeries and referred me to another specialist. I cannot have my astigmatism repaired due to the lack of vitreous fluid. I am 51 years old, and there is a strong possibility that I may never see well again. A good, solid refractive surgery would probably cure me of all my eye problems, but my insurance considers refractive surgery to be cosmetic. It would cost me $5,000 per eye to pay for it myself. If I had the money, (or even the credit), I would definitely have refractive surgery and stop worrying about detaching my retinas.

Comment from: Kali, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been very nearsighted all my life. The other day, poof, the floaters just appeared, now it is showing up in the other eye. I have worn contact lenses all of my adult life. It must be related, dry eyes and all. Oh well, the clock keeps ticking.

Comment from: arrowhead3k, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My research tells me that daily use (twice) of MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) with vitamin C and bioflavonoids may be useful in eliminating floaters. It is possible that floaters are caused by candida and MSM is a good candida fighter. So, test yourself for candida, and if you've got it, go into an anti-candida program and make sure you include MSM, vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Another powerful candida fighter apparently is a product called lufenuron. Good luck.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?