Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 55 and there is only one word needed to describe eye floaters: annoying.

Comment from: victoriac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have just recently developed quite a few floaters in both my eyes. Most of them in my left eye. They look like long threads and move around when I move my eyes. I have gone to two different eye doctors and a retina specialist. They have all said it happens with age and they will eventually will settle to the bottom of my eye or my brain will learn to ignore them. It has been 3 months and no change. I talked to the retina specialist and he said that there is a surgery called a vitrectomy to get rid of floaters but there is a risk of developing cataracts. Has anyone had this surgery or have any advice on how to ignore these. I do not like going outside anymore because of these and its hurting my quality of life.

Comment from: TonyRoq, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

Floaters began appearing in my field of vision about a year ago. An ophthalmologist said, “Nothing to be done; just don't worry.” One thing I wonder about and I hope someone out there can offer some help, is why the intensity of the disturbance in the field of vision varies from day to day. I think there must be some connection to lifestyle and diet. In my case, drinking alcohol almost certainly makes the activity of the floaters more intense. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed effects of diet on their vision.

Comment from: Ally, 45-54 Female Published: April 22

Four months ago, I noticed what I thought was a hair hanging down in my right eye. I tried bathing it over and over, but it made no difference. I went to my doctor, who referred me to an ophthalmologist, who diagnosed a floater. He said it might drift out of view in time. I am an artist and deeply depressed about this issue.

Comment from: patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had large floater in left eye since May 07. I was told nothing could be done with it and I have gotten used to it. This past weekend I developed a black spot in right eye. I went to eye doctor Tuesday and was told it was another floater and nothing could be done and to come back for recheck in six weeks. Yesterday the black spot turned into a large floater, so now I have what looks like long black ink spot floating in both eyes. I am going back to eye doctor tomorrow but I am not hopeful. I am sure I will be told that it needs to be watched and to come back for rechecks and call asap if there is any pain or flashing lights or black areas in my vision. I am very nearsighted and feel that my eyesight has been a major pain in the neck for the last 20 years between the progressively stronger and stronger prescriptions due to not being able to see basically anything with out glasses or contacts and now the floater thing. I am worried I will eventually lose my sight but the doctor says I won't, so I hope he is right.

Comment from: Pegasus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have experienced floaters since being treated for Toxoplasmosis in 1973. I was a healthy young adult with no compromised immune system. The Toxo manifested in my right eye only and so far the only place that I can detect the floaters. Most of them appear like strands of algae, but there is one small dense spot that I sometimes think is an insect flying past my head. For the most part, I am not bothered by them except when I am tired or my eyes have been under additional strain from work, etc. At those times, it can be a little annoying. So far, I have not noticed them worsening with age.

Comment from: Annie , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I started having some floaters in my right eye during the week and then by the weekend they got a lot worse. It looks like wispy strands of black cobwebs and then I was trying to see a thin curtain. I went to my eye doctor because I was also seeing two silver bands of light from the right side of my eye. I thought I had a torn retina but my doctor said that I didn't. I have an appointment to see a Retina Specialist. About a year ago I begin having some blurring in my right eye caused by bleeding in the back of my eye. I went to the same Retina Specialist and had a injection in my eye and then some laser zapping of some of the blood vessels. My eye improved quite a bit and that had been over a year now.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.