Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: jimmyjet, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

Three days ago I developed a large floater in my left eye. I also started seeing circular light flashes at night. Ten years ago I had cataract surgery in both eyes with mono vision. My left eye is for reading. I noticed some circular flashes shortly after the surgery and the surgeon said it was the edge of the implant lens that was noticeable when my eye was dilated at night and nothing to be concerned about. I have not really noticed these circular flashes much until this new floater developed. The new floater is very noticeable and definitely affects my reading to the extent that I develop a headache after reading a short time.

Comment from: Shez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I noticed two black spots in my right eye that really annoyed me. I went to the optician and was told that it was normal and would go away. A year later they were still there, then suddenly it seemed that I had dozens of spots, all in my right eye. I went to the doctor, again everything was fine. Then I suddenly got many strings and blurred patches in my right eye. Again to the doctor, once again no retinal detachment or disease. Now I have had these for over two years and they interfere a lot with my vision. Hope they go away. Only thing that I can think it might be is that I did take a few accidental hits to my eyes when playing with the dogs.

Comment from: Margaret, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I first noticed a floater when I was 17! An optician told me not to worry as long as they kept moving, so I check occasionally, and they have increased a lot over the years. Twenty years ago, on the evening before we were due to fly to China, I saw a light on the far side of my right eye, and thought it was a reflection on my glasses, but no, and I had no time to see an optician. Next day I noticed a 'veil' floating in the opposite direction to my eye movement. I checked with my optician on our return and luckily no harm had been done. But floaters are so annoying when they all settle just where I'm reading, and I will keep swatting those non-existent flies!

Comment from: GaryG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Yesterday I experienced a very weird vision problem. I had a reoccurring floater object which seemed to be in my left eye. When I closed my left eye it still existed. When I closed my right eye it still existed. When I closed both eyes I saw a very clear image. It started from a small rectangle and then the lines form a very precise set of graphics. I would describe it as a set of 5 or so stair steps going up and then a set of 8 or so going down. The graphics constantly moved from lower right to upper left. I was not blinking or constantly opening and shutting my eyes. The Lines were black with a bright white section on both sides. With my eyes open I could see the shapes but they looked more like a typical floater. The images existed for around 8 minutes and then went away.

Comment from: ashes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got my floater in December, in my left eye. I was driving when I first noticed it. I thought it was a small bug or something flying around. It looks like a tiny grayish blob but I can never look directly at it. Sometimes it goes away. Sometimes if I blink really hard it goes away. It doesn"t bother me as much anymore, it doesn"t obstruct my vision or anything.

Comment from: Miller, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

The floater is in my right eye. When I look down, the top half of my vision is obscured by a grey cloud.

Comment from: SomeLady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

This is what happened first, picture if you can, having a piece of glass in front of your face and a black line scribbled across it. Everywhere you move your eyes that black line moves with them (moving the glass with your eyes) back and forth, up and down. I put eye drops in, rubbed my eyes thinking I had something in my eye. Today it is clearer but still a squiggly line moving across my eyes all day. I will look out of the corner of my eye thinking there is a person or the cat walking by but there was nothing, just that squiggly shadow/line. My vision is also very blurred, like it has dramatically changed in the last few days.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.