Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Floaters appeared after post vitreous detachment. My right eye, which is my worst for vision, is the most affected. There is a big blob in the middle and a Weiss ring. It definitely helped reading how many people have these, and how bothered they are by them. At least I'm not alone.

Comment from: Lady Herpetologist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up this morning with some dark black threadlike floaters in my left eye. They are not all on the same plane; I can see one is farther forward than the other. They're quite distracting and I certainly hope they do reabsorb quickly. I wish I knew what caused them. I've had minor translucent floaters before but not dark ones.

Comment from: NOLAmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had myopia and floaters most of my life – they weren't big and just a minor bother. But then one day about six months ago, my vision changed and the eye doctor said I had a posterior vitreous detachment. Then the huge floater appeared right in my line of vision. It has been constant, like a furry ball blocking things I am looking at, and really affecting my quality of life. Things I always enjoyed and need to be doing are now strained, like reading, driving, having-face-to-face conversations, enjoying events with my son, working, movies, etc. When I look at anything, there is this big wiggly obstruction. I begged the eye doctor to give me advice as to what can be done, surely there must be help. She said, "Live with it, this is your new normal." That seemed so cold and I just can't accept that nothing can be done to help this. Well, I did some research and found out about the YAG laser treatment being very successful. So I have an appointment next month with a Florida eye specialist who is a pioneer in the treatment for floaters, and I am looking forward to getting help and seeing better.

Comment from: duhon78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am severely myopic and have noticed floaters over the last six months. I am 30 years old and wonder if this age is abnormally young for floaters. I've been trying to wear my coke bottle glasses more often, and this seems to relieve some eye irritation, but not the floaters.

Comment from: hazel193, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I've had floaters for as long as I can remember ... a lot of them. I don't fit any of the usual profiles. I'm extremely far-sighted. I don't have diabetes. I've never had surgery on my eyes. I don't and have never had any of the other diseases mentioned in the article. They are annoying. I was told an acupuncturist can help.

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Male Published: October 14

I'm a 32-year-old man, who has eye floaters mostly in my right eye. Sometimes they are annoying, especially when looking at plain and light surfaces (like the sky or bright walls). Some days they are more annoying than others. If I could, I would get rid of them. I think I have had them since I can remember. They initially seemed like small dots of hot air (almost transparent). I used to turn my head around chasing these "dots of air." Now my vision looks like some dark lines and spots. It's worse than it used to be.

Comment from: CmeNow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have just today experienced seeing a floater that looked like a big black blob, sort of like the size and the length of a caterpillar.

Comment from: DAMIAN, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had floaters since birth. After cataract surgery my left eye got worse, sometimes I feel desperate. I went to a Florida doctor and had 8 laser treatments but no improvement at all after spending over $3,000 with the treatment. Doctors should seek a cure for this problem that affects millions of people worldwide; hope soon, before I die (I 69 now), I will have a cure for this problem.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.