Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: soso1264, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Several months later, I began to have floaters in my right eye. I was shopping when these black spider like forms appeared in my eye. I panicked and went to see a retina specialist the very next day. He dilated both my eyes and said my eyes were healthy. It has been over a year now since both of my surgeries and today I'm seeing floaters in my left eye. I'll be going to the retina specialist this Monday. I hate having them. Some days are worse than others. But I'm not as scared as I was about them the first time it happened.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 18

I experienced a large mass of floaters in my right eye over a year ago. On or two of them are quite large, and if the light is right, I can see a large "swarm" of tiny ones. My optometrist diagnosed partial detachment of the vitreous, though this type of thing happens to people in their 60's, typically. I was 56. I also have keratoconus. There was a flash of light on the side of my eye which I understand is normal when this happens. This light has subsided over the year, not the same thing happened in my left eye this week. A couple of these floaters are very large. It's annoying for sure. It's like having a swarm of some strange strand-like or spots that you can't quite see, always with you. I would like to have surgery to remove them if possible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had problems with floaters my whole life. Several years ago I had a partial detachment of the retina and the floaters took over my vision. Then the same thing happened in my other eye. My ophthalmologist told me that nothing could be done, yet referred me to a retinal specialist who took one look, said "those are the worst floaters I have ever seen" and scheduled me for surgery the following month. I've had two surgeries to remove the vitreous fluid from my eyes and the floaters with them. For a couple of months, I had beautiful, perfect (with glasses) vision. Then the cataracts started advancing. At first I was OK ... I had been told that my cataracts would get worse. My eyes are "interesting" said one surgeon who passed on doing my cataract surgeries and referred me to another specialist. I cannot have my astigmatism repaired due to the lack of vitreous fluid. I am 51 years old, and there is a strong possibility that I may never see well again. A good, solid refractive surgery would probably cure me of all my eye problems, but my insurance considers refractive surgery to be cosmetic. It would cost me $5,000 per eye to pay for it myself. If I had the money, (or even the credit), I would definitely have refractive surgery and stop worrying about detaching my retinas.

Comment from: yay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have eye floaters. They began a few weeks ago. I am 48 years old and had Lasix surgery 13 years ago and my sight is starting to diminish. I also have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and am using a light box beginning last month. I am treated for depression and have nightmares regularly.

Comment from: gt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a black disjointed string to the right of my right eye that is very annoying and it started 4 days ago. I am just happy to hear that it isn't serious at this stage. I am 67 and enjoy reading more than anything. So hopefully it will go away someday soon.

Comment from: Ernesto, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I have floaters in my right eye, which did not cause me any problem. Yesterday, I felt pressure on the right eye and around my eyebrows area, which went away fast. Today I again felt pressure only in the right eye for a few seconds and went away. I do not suffer from high blood pressure. I was given an appointment with a retinologist for December 16th.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Last two days I woke up with string-like floaters in one eye. I am near-sighted, I mostly wear my glasses but do wear contact lens. By the end of the day it usually goes away.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.