Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had problems with floaters my whole life. Several years ago I had a partial detachment of the retina and the floaters took over my vision. Then the same thing happened in my other eye. My ophthalmologist told me that nothing could be done, yet referred me to a retinal specialist who took one look, said "those are the worst floaters I have ever seen" and scheduled me for surgery the following month. I've had two surgeries to remove the vitreous fluid from my eyes and the floaters with them. For a couple of months, I had beautiful, perfect (with glasses) vision. Then the cataracts started advancing. At first I was OK ... I had been told that my cataracts would get worse. My eyes are "interesting" said one surgeon who passed on doing my cataract surgeries and referred me to another specialist. I cannot have my astigmatism repaired due to the lack of vitreous fluid. I am 51 years old, and there is a strong possibility that I may never see well again. A good, solid refractive surgery would probably cure me of all my eye problems, but my insurance considers refractive surgery to be cosmetic. It would cost me $5,000 per eye to pay for it myself. If I had the money, (or even the credit), I would definitely have refractive surgery and stop worrying about detaching my retinas.

Comment from: gt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a black disjointed string to the right of my right eye that is very annoying and it started 4 days ago. I am just happy to hear that it isn't serious at this stage. I am 67 and enjoy reading more than anything. So hopefully it will go away someday soon.

Comment from: Ernesto, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I have floaters in my right eye, which did not cause me any problem. Yesterday, I felt pressure on the right eye and around my eyebrows area, which went away fast. Today I again felt pressure only in the right eye for a few seconds and went away. I do not suffer from high blood pressure. I was given an appointment with a retinologist for December 16th.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Last two days I woke up with string-like floaters in one eye. I am near-sighted, I mostly wear my glasses but do wear contact lens. By the end of the day it usually goes away.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Floaters appeared after post vitreous detachment. My right eye, which is my worst for vision, is the most affected. There is a big blob in the middle and a Weiss ring. It definitely helped reading how many people have these, and how bothered they are by them. At least I'm not alone.

Comment from: Lady Herpetologist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up this morning with some dark black threadlike floaters in my left eye. They are not all on the same plane; I can see one is farther forward than the other. They're quite distracting and I certainly hope they do reabsorb quickly. I wish I knew what caused them. I've had minor translucent floaters before but not dark ones.

Comment from: NOLAmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had myopia and floaters most of my life – they weren't big and just a minor bother. But then one day about six months ago, my vision changed and the eye doctor said I had a posterior vitreous detachment. Then the huge floater appeared right in my line of vision. It has been constant, like a furry ball blocking things I am looking at, and really affecting my quality of life. Things I always enjoyed and need to be doing are now strained, like reading, driving, having-face-to-face conversations, enjoying events with my son, working, movies, etc. When I look at anything, there is this big wiggly obstruction. I begged the eye doctor to give me advice as to what can be done, surely there must be help. She said, "Live with it, this is your new normal." That seemed so cold and I just can't accept that nothing can be done to help this. Well, I did some research and found out about the YAG laser treatment being very successful. So I have an appointment next month with a Florida eye specialist who is a pioneer in the treatment for floaters, and I am looking forward to getting help and seeing better.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.