Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

Comment from: Nelson, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

The floater is in my left eye. It came on very suddenly and I first thought I had captured a large spider web on the bill of my cap. The floater looks like a black drop of ink when it is dropped in water. It changes sizes and numbers during the day. Additionally if I focus on a white object and close my right eye I see hundreds of small floating dots that look like soot.

Comment from: I Roy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

From childhood when I was 6 to 7 years old I used to see floaters. But that time I did not realize that it is a disease. I took it lightly and ignored it. I was myopic from that time. I used to wear spectacles. I had a regular checkup with an ophthalmologist. But I never told him that I saw floaters. I didn't even think that it was a condition to mention. Then gradually myopic power of the lens of my spectacles increased. When I was 13 to 14 years old, for the first time an ophthalmologist suspected that I may see floaters. But somehow that time too I ignored it. Now I am 19 and now it's really a serious problem. My retina has got severe degeneration as doctor said. In January this year I have undergone a laser barrage surgery to protect the weak spots occurred in retina and to prevent the detachment of retina. But it's not the end of it. I need another laser surgery very soon. Now I really repent for ignoring the very first symptom of this disease. Doctor is surprised to see such a massive degeneration in this age. I am scared too.

Comment from: susy954, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I got my floaters by having an ultra sound test for a nodule on my thyroid. I had to put my head back all the way until the top of my head was on the table. My thyroid is very low and they had a hard time doing the ultra sound. My head was upside down for over half an hour and when I got up I could not see... large floaters in both eyes. That was 4 months ago. I have gone to 3 doctors for the floaters and they say nothing can be done. It obstructs my vision and there are many in both eyes. I can't stand them, but I am told nothing can be done. Hopeless!

Comment from: Tree, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm a very active 65 year old that had cataracts removed 2 years ago. Last year I developed large gray floaters in both eyes that when they lined up they blocked most of my vision. My regular eye doctor said they were the largest floaters he had ever seen and then left the room. I went to a specialist that performed the surgery. The floaters were the beginning of detached retina in both eyes that were repaired. The surgery was painless and now, a year later vision is fine. No floaters. I did do a lot of research on my surgeon before the surgery. I value my sight.

Comment from: E Muniz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had floaters for over 10 years. I did thousands of research to learn how to resolve them. In recent months I have been making use of lutein, vitamin C, magnesium chloride, alpha lipoic acid and omega 3. Yesterday I went to the optometrist to make three exams: pachymetry, circadian curve ocular and visual field. This morning, looking at the cloudy sky I noticed that all the dark floaters were gone, some permanent transparent floaters. I do not know if there was any interference of ultrasound on floaters or was effect of the supplements. Because it was something so sudden, I believe pachymetry acted in their disappearance.

Comment from: Dr P P Pradyumnan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I have eye floaters, it is just like the shape of a left 'quote' with hairy attachments. They began 4 months ago. I was consulted with an ophthalmologist, with her suggestion I was consulted with a retina specialist and he concluded that my right eye is in the stage of retinal detachment, he also asked my family history. Then I underwent a LASIK surgery about 2 months back. After the surgery also, the floater persists in my right eye. I again visited the same doctor and he told me that my right eye and retina are in good health, and instructed me to visit the doctor every six months. He also told me that the floater is not a problem, it will be adjusted by your eye.

Comment from: jimmyjet, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

Three days ago I developed a large floater in my left eye. I also started seeing circular light flashes at night. Ten years ago I had cataract surgery in both eyes with mono vision. My left eye is for reading. I noticed some circular flashes shortly after the surgery and the surgeon said it was the edge of the implant lens that was noticeable when my eye was dilated at night and nothing to be concerned about. I have not really noticed these circular flashes much until this new floater developed. The new floater is very noticeable and definitely affects my reading to the extent that I develop a headache after reading a short time.

Floaters - Causes Question: What was the cause of your eye floaters?
Floaters - What They Look Like Question: Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like.
Floaters - How Common? Question: At what age did your floater first appear? How often have you gotten a floater(s)?
Floaters - Eye Diseases Question: Do you have an eye disease associated with floaters? Was the floater a symptom of the eye condition or disease?
Floaters - Disappearance Question: Did your eye floater go away? If so, how long did it take? Please share your story.
Floaters - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to remove floaters? Please share your experience.
Eye Floaters - Prognosis Question: How long have you had eye floaters?
Eye Floaters - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for eye floaters?