- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
- Find a local Infectious Disease Specialist in your town
- What is XDR TB?
- How is XDR TB spread?
- Why is XDR TB so serious?
- Who is at risk for getting XDR TB?
- How can I prevent myself from getting TB?
- Can the TB vaccine (BCG) help prevent XDR TB?
- If I have regular (drug-susceptible) TB, how can I prevent getting drug-resistant TB?
- Can XDR TB be treated and cured?
- What are the symptoms of XDR TB?
- What should I do if I have been around someone who has XDR TB?
- How long does it take to find out if you have XDR TB?
- Is XDR TB a problem in the United States?
- How many cases of XDR TB have been reported in the United States?
- Is it safe to travel where cases of XDR TB have been reported?
- What can health care providers do to prevent XDR TB?
- Are immigrants putting the U.S. at increased risk for TB?
- Why haven't we heard about XDR TB before now?
- What is CDC doing to prevent XDR TB from becoming a bigger problem?
Quick GuideBacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Can XDR TB be treated and cured?
Yes, in some cases. Some TB control programs have shown that cure is possible for an estimated 30% of affected people. Successful outcomes depend greatly on the extent of the drug resistance, the severity of the disease, and whether the patient's immune system is weakened.
What are the symptoms of XDR TB?
The general symptoms of TB disease include feelings of sickness or weakness, weight loss, fever, and night sweats. The symptoms of TB disease of the lungs may also include coughing, chest pain, and coughing up blood. Symptoms of TB disease in other parts of the body depend on the area affected. If you have these symptoms, you should contact your doctor or local health department.
What should I do if I have been around someone who has XDR TB?
If you think you have been exposed to someone with TB disease, you should contact your doctor or local health department about getting a TB skin test or the QuantiFERON®-TB Gold test (QFT-G), a blood test. And tell the doctor or nurse when you spent time with this person.
How long does it take to find out if you have XDR TB?
If TB bacteria are found in the sputum (phlegm), the diagnosis of TB can be made in a day or two, but this finding will not be able to distinguish between drug-susceptible (regular) TB and drug-resistant TB. To determine drug susceptibility, the bacteria need to be grown and tested in a laboratory. Final diagnosis for TB, and especially for XDR TB, may take from 6 to 16 weeks.