Exercise Stress Test (cont.)
What If I have Diabetes?
- If you take insulin to control your blood sugar, ask your doctor what amount of your medication you should take the day of the test. Often, you will take only half of your usual morning dose and eat a light meal 4 hours before the test.
- If you take pills to control your blood sugar, do not take your medication until after the test is complete.
- Do not take your diabetes medication and skip a meal before the test.
- If you own a glucose monitor, bring it with you to check your blood sugar levels before and after your exercise stress test. If you think that your blood sugar is low, tell the lab personnel immediately.
- Plan to eat and take your blood sugar medication following your stress test.
© 2005-2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Source article on WebMD