- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Find a local Cardiologist in your town
- Exercise stress test introduction
- What is an exercise stress test?
- Why do I need an exercise stress test?
- What types of stress tests are there?
- How should I prepare for the exercise stress test?
- What if I have diabetes?
- What should I wear the day of the exercise stress test?
- What happens during the exercise stress test?
Quick GuideA Visual Guide to Heart Disease
What If I have Diabetes?
- If you take insulin to control your blood sugar, ask your doctor what amount of your medication you should take the day of the test. Often, you will take only half of your usual morning dose and eat a light meal 4 hours before the test.
- If you take pills to control your blood sugar, do not take your medication until after the test is complete.
- Do not take your diabetes medication and skip a meal before the test.
- If you own a glucose monitor, bring it with you to check your blood sugar levels before and after your exercise stress test. If you think that your blood sugar is low, tell the lab personnel immediately.
- Plan to eat and take your blood sugar medication following your stress test.