Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: eager1, 65-74 Female Published: March 15

I was bitten by a black widow spider. I had no access to medical help. When a red line started to go up my arm I used Epsom salt, made a paste, applied it, and secured a cover on my arm for about a week and a half. It finally started to clear up, but for about a month I was very disoriented, tired and restless. It left a pit type scar. Hope it never happens again. I will hesitate to seek care.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have suffered eustachian tube problems for thirty three years. In 1994 I suffered bacterial meningitis through an ear infection due to the eustachian being blocked and subsequently infected with bacteria. My ears are blocked most days and using steroid nasal sprays don't seem to help. I see my ENT specialist twice a year and I now think it's time I had the tubes inserted. I never get earache, however, I do suffer allergies. This is an extremely miserable problem. I purchased a machine called the EarPopper and it doesn't work. I've simply tried everything possible.

Comment from: Peeps23, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I've suffered from Eustachian tube problem, with an 18 month history of stuffiness in the ears, and worse up and down hills, etc. I had tubes inserted into both ear drums which really helped the pressure feeling but gave me terrible and unbearable autophony. I had the tubes removed, and am now left with the ear pressure feeling. I also tried nystatin thinking it might be yeast, and I have put the drops into my mouth and swirled around twice daily now for a week and no change.

Comment from: Bette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed with a blocked eustachian tube in my left ear! After a round of antibiotics, and being treated for middle ear infection, they decided the tube is blocked. I am going out of my mind! The vibration and pressure in my ear us incredible! I'm on 3 different nose sprays! I can't take it! There is no pain, just pressure!

Comment from: heretohelp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

After getting a severe upper respiratory infection which nearly took me out, I developed a major feeling of clogged ear, swollen scalp/brain, and debilitating vertigo. I lived with it for 18 months. No doctors or specialists could help. It turned out, through a tip from someone who'd had the same thing, that I had an inner ear yeast infection. Here's what you need to know: the eustachian tubes don't always open and shut when they should. I had been drinking fruit juice (lying down) to help with the dehydration from the respiratory flu and it had been going up my tube. I got prescription for nystatin and, I kid you not, within a couple of hours, it started working. By the next day I had almost total relief from all my symptoms. It literally saved my life. Do not drink sweet drinks or milk or eat sweets and lie down. This is what causes inner ear bacterial infections, too, like babies get. You can also try consuming garlic or xylitol gum or sweetener, both which kill yeast and bacteria. These may help kill off what is causing the inflammation. If not, speak to your doctor or an allergist about trying a round of nystatin.

Comment from: Willy_B, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

It's 5 am and I'm pacing up and down the living room like a caged animal. Because the pressure in my head is unbearable. Left side eustachian is blocked (again) and trying to blow clear while holding nose is making it 10 times worse. I am in a bad way. If I can find some relief, I will share the method.

Comment from: always hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been dealing with painful clogged tubes for 4 years resulting from a serious sinus infection. I had seen an audiologist, ENT and my family doctor multiple times over the years with testing showing everything is fine. One day I mentioned this to my chiropractor and he said my eustachian tubes were blocked. He applied a hot pack to my sinus areas with my head gently tilted backwards. After 10 minutes with the hot pack he applied pressure (which was very painful due to the inflammation) and he massaged all the sinus areas. The next day I felt wonderful. The pressure is beginning to build again so I am going to see the chiropractor again. It is a much better approach than taking drugs that cover up the problem.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.