Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: always hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been dealing with painful clogged tubes for 4 years resulting from a serious sinus infection. I had seen an audiologist, ENT and my family doctor multiple times over the years with testing showing everything is fine. One day I mentioned this to my chiropractor and he said my eustachian tubes were blocked. He applied a hot pack to my sinus areas with my head gently tilted backwards. After 10 minutes with the hot pack he applied pressure (which was very painful due to the inflammation) and he massaged all the sinus areas. The next day I felt wonderful. The pressure is beginning to build again so I am going to see the chiropractor again. It is a much better approach than taking drugs that cover up the problem.

Comment from: Toya Bishop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a bad cold, a congested and runny nose. I went to the doctor last Sunday. The doctor prescribed amoxicillin 500mg, and some congestion cough syrup. Well, I took all the medicines for 7 days. I found myself back at the doctor yesterday because my ears were clogged, it felt like I had been on an airplane or swimming. I was hearing ringing noises that no one else would hear. So this time I went back to the doctor and he gave me a steroid shot and prescribed me Wal-Phed D. And he told me to pinch my noise and breathe; that helped too. It was a little painful for me as my ears popped, but it did cause some relief. I feel a lot better today. My hearing is not all the way yet, but it is much better than it was all last week. I thought I was losing my hearing.

Comment from: PAS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I started having what I thought was a toothache or ear ache. The pain got worse so I went to the emergency room. The doctor took an x-ray of my sinuses and said they were clear. It was a cut and dry case of a cold that settled in my Eustachian tubes. He prescribed me a Medrol Pak for six days and Afrin for three days. Tomorrow will start my third day and I have barely any relief. I have the worst ear pain, shooting pain in the ear and jaw with a tingling sensation all over the left side of my face. Even my vision is blurry and my face has been swollen.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I have found some very significant relief through a maneuver like the one described in the article except that I don't blow (in fact I'm very surprised that they suggest it here because I have learned and felt that it is a dangerous technique if overdone) I suck. Pinch your nose and breathe in. It seems to help to close my Eustachian tube. I have a problem with my voice being very loud in my own ears. That affected me so much when I was a kid that it kept me from speaking. As a result, my voice has always been very soft. When I was young, I had ear infections almost every year. Recently I moved to Brazil and have had sinus infections due to the climate. But now, with the things that I have learned about anatomy and the different cavities and tubes and things in my head, I don't have the problems with ear infections like I used to. Through the 'sucking' maneuver, my voice doesn't go straight to my own ear like it used to and the pressure in my ear feels a lot more normal.

Comment from: syl, Female Published: May 29

Retracted tympanic membrane for almost twenty years with numerous surgeries and medications to no avail for Eustachian tube problem. Constant fullness and never-ending hearing of own heartbeat-excruciating! Have a hard time listening to heart sounds problem for any nurse! Had tympanoplasty, tonsillectomy, tubes, and septoplasty! I can't stand it!

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had problems with a blocked Eustachian tube off and on for several years. It causes me dizziness, difficulty hearing, and at its worst, causes a sound that I liken to hearing "bugs in the weeds by the side of the road." One thing that has helped me at times is to take about a quarter cup of hot sauce, dip it in something such as popcorn, and then eat it. This seems to get my sinuses running and relieves the pressure. Also, I have had some success by sniffing from a jar of horseradish and it does the same thing for me.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.