Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: Peeps23, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I've suffered from Eustachian tube problem, with an 18 month history of stuffiness in the ears, and worse up and down hills, etc. I had tubes inserted into both ear drums which really helped the pressure feeling but gave me terrible and unbearable autophony. I had the tubes removed, and am now left with the ear pressure feeling. I also tried nystatin thinking it might be yeast, and I have put the drops into my mouth and swirled around twice daily now for a week and no change.

Comment from: Bette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed with a blocked eustachian tube in my left ear! After a round of antibiotics, and being treated for middle ear infection, they decided the tube is blocked. I am going out of my mind! The vibration and pressure in my ear us incredible! I'm on 3 different nose sprays! I can't take it! There is no pain, just pressure!

Comment from: heretohelp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

After getting a severe upper respiratory infection which nearly took me out, I developed a major feeling of clogged ear, swollen scalp/brain, and debilitating vertigo. I lived with it for 18 months. No doctors or specialists could help. It turned out, through a tip from someone who'd had the same thing, that I had an inner ear yeast infection. Here's what you need to know: the eustachian tubes don't always open and shut when they should. I had been drinking fruit juice (lying down) to help with the dehydration from the respiratory flu and it had been going up my tube. I got prescription for nystatin and, I kid you not, within a couple of hours, it started working. By the next day I had almost total relief from all my symptoms. It literally saved my life. Do not drink sweet drinks or milk or eat sweets and lie down. This is what causes inner ear bacterial infections, too, like babies get. You can also try consuming garlic or xylitol gum or sweetener, both which kill yeast and bacteria. These may help kill off what is causing the inflammation. If not, speak to your doctor or an allergist about trying a round of nystatin.

Comment from: always hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been dealing with painful clogged tubes for 4 years resulting from a serious sinus infection. I had seen an audiologist, ENT and my family doctor multiple times over the years with testing showing everything is fine. One day I mentioned this to my chiropractor and he said my eustachian tubes were blocked. He applied a hot pack to my sinus areas with my head gently tilted backwards. After 10 minutes with the hot pack he applied pressure (which was very painful due to the inflammation) and he massaged all the sinus areas. The next day I felt wonderful. The pressure is beginning to build again so I am going to see the chiropractor again. It is a much better approach than taking drugs that cover up the problem.

Comment from: Toya Bishop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a bad cold, a congested and runny nose. I went to the doctor last Sunday. The doctor prescribed amoxicillin 500mg, and some congestion cough syrup. Well, I took all the medicines for 7 days. I found myself back at the doctor yesterday because my ears were clogged, it felt like I had been on an airplane or swimming. I was hearing ringing noises that no one else would hear. So this time I went back to the doctor and he gave me a steroid shot and prescribed me Wal-Phed D. And he told me to pinch my noise and breathe; that helped too. It was a little painful for me as my ears popped, but it did cause some relief. I feel a lot better today. My hearing is not all the way yet, but it is much better than it was all last week. I thought I was losing my hearing.

Comment from: Kimberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I just recently had what I think was a minimal cold, and the right ear and below in my neck area is swollen. I thought it was a lymph node swelling but the doctor said it was my eustachian tube. My ear does not hurt but the lump in the side of my neck does hurt. Just picked up medication and will see if it works. Wish me luck.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.