Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

Previously had bad problems with fluttering in ears almost driving me mad. Discovered I had an allergy to dairy products so stopped all milk, cheese etc. It worked a treat with all symptoms disappearing within a short time. The dairy seemed to be causing congestion and blocking the Eustachian tubes. Worth a try.

Comment from: Louise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had severe ET dysfunction for 18 years. Have been to 8 ENT's and nothing has really helped that much. Have had 3 sets of tubes put in and used many nasal sprays and have been on prednisone 4 different times. I have recently heard of a somewhat new operation to correct ET dysfunction called ET Tuboplasty. It is performed by several east coast Doctors and one is in San Diego. Has anyone heard of this surgery or had it done. Would love to have more info on it. Am seriously thinking of calling the Doc in San Diego and making an appointment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment from: CarolineT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

For many years I had a problem with my right ear where it felt blocked and my hearing muffled in that ear. I used to get daily headaches and terrible neck pain. I couldn't unblock my ear by yawning or trying to pop it. I would get it every day at certain times of the year and found it quite distressing. Over the years I saw various doctors, a couple of ENT specialists, an osteo, a couple of physios, and various massage. By chance I went to a Chinese doctor who said that often ear problems are related to the kidneys. He gave me acupuncture and (horrible tasting) Chinese herbs to take after meals twice a day. After a few weeks my headaches had gone and also my dreadful ear condition. I sometimes still have the problem after exercising and find that I can massage my neck to move what feel like muscle knots. I can actually feel something draining at the back of my throat. After years of putting up with this horrible problem, I feel so relieved to be free from it.

Comment from: bells, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I've had ET blockage for 7 years. I went to several doctors but no one know what to do about it. I feel constant pressure and fullness in my ears. Sometimes my left side of the face gets swollen and when my ears "pop" open, the swelling immediately goes away. This has changed my personality and it has brought my life to a stand-still. I'm amazed that in this day and age, the doctors have no idea how to cure this condition.

Comment from: Ashley, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

For the last 2 months every time I play active sport my left ear blocks and the pressure builds. My last tennis game I got a severe headache, ear does not pop. Been to see ENT and on my way for 2nd appointment.

Comment from: Ms.T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have pain in the front of my ear, periodic fullness and constant pressure, the pain radiates up the left side and down the neck area on the left side - this side doesn't pop! I get very sick to my stomach and sometimes feel like I'm on a boat(off balance) inhaled steroids just seem to make it worse my ENT doctor says tubes might be the answer and he "thinks" I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I sure hate to cut a hole in my ear drum when no one is sure.

Comment from: ER, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had three sinus infections within two months, the last one being aggravated by the ear infection, chest congestion, and eye infection. The worst symptoms are gone, after three sessions of antibiotics; however, the fullness and pressure in the ear persist. In addition to the regular treatments I can suggest singing. Even during the warm up before practice or rehearsal the pressure seems to get better. Best wishes!

Comment from: Scpio16, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

For the past few months I've been feeling nonstop pressure in both of my ears, causing tension headaches and a awkward feeling in my ears daily. I had no idea what this could be and when I saw a doctor a 2nd time today he told me it was my ET tubes. He prescribed me steroids, Sudafed and a nasal spray. I am praying to god this will help because the fullness and somewhat pain in my ears is horrid.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.