Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: Ms.T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have pain in the front of my ear, periodic fullness and constant pressure, the pain radiates up the left side and down the neck area on the left side - this side doesn't pop! I get very sick to my stomach and sometimes feel like I'm on a boat(off balance) inhaled steroids just seem to make it worse my ENT doctor says tubes might be the answer and he "thinks" I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I sure hate to cut a hole in my ear drum when no one is sure.

Comment from: ER, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had three sinus infections within two months, the last one being aggravated by the ear infection, chest congestion, and eye infection. The worst symptoms are gone, after three sessions of antibiotics; however, the fullness and pressure in the ear persist. In addition to the regular treatments I can suggest singing. Even during the warm up before practice or rehearsal the pressure seems to get better. Best wishes!

Comment from: Scpio16, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

For the past few months I've been feeling nonstop pressure in both of my ears, causing tension headaches and a awkward feeling in my ears daily. I had no idea what this could be and when I saw a doctor a 2nd time today he told me it was my ET tubes. He prescribed me steroids, Sudafed and a nasal spray. I am praying to god this will help because the fullness and somewhat pain in my ears is horrid.

Comment from: RN mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My 10 yr old son has had ETD since few months old; Many, Many courses of antibiotics later, he was seen by an ENT at 3 years old. He has since had 2 sets of ear tubes, the second set has been out about 9 months now and the ear infections inevitably returned. I am now asking the ENT doctor about nose sprays, anti-inflammatories, etc. to prevent a third set as he has a lot of scarring from the two sets as well as having a hole in his eardrum that took several weeks to heal but did finally close. Had been hoping that as he grows, the ETD would get better per the docs, but so far no such luck. I am also going to ask next visit about x-rays to make sure no growths or anything of the sort is contributing to the problem as this has not been checked out yet. Tubes are great, but they also do cause a lot of scarring and are normally only temporary solutions.

Comment from: Lu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 75 years of age. I have (vent tubes) in both ears. My problem with non draining Eustachian began in 1994, and having a young up to date ENT has made my ear problems easier to deal with. I still have fluid buildup and infections from the tubes, but now these things are promptly taken care of with Steroidal ear gtts. My tubes are permanent as the Dr. told me if you have a chronic ear drainage problem vent tubes are the best solution. Being a retired nurse has been a benefit to my good health care.

Comment from: junebug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am experiencing my first bout with Eustachian plugging. Went to an ENT who prescribed cortisone nose drops for a few months. I do not like potential side effects. I went to a myofascial release therapist yesterday who did wonders. Very difficult to find these therapists and they usually do not take insurance but well worth it. She told me to pull on the ear lobe top side bottom, pull out and up and at same time move your head up and down very slightly and very slowly. I can feel the pain going through the side into my ear canal when I do it and I do get some relief.

Published: January 21

I have had this problem for years what helped me a lot especially with my balance is to fix my bite. I had braces to fix this and I am 80% much better. Worth trying.

Comment from: Jack2001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was suffering from a terrible cold and cough. My Eustachian tube became totally blocked after an airplane flight. I had virtually no hearing in that ear, and it was both painful and irritating to say the least. Hours passed with no relief. I then discovered quite accidentally that bending over at the waist with the top of my head towards the ground finally cleared my tube!

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.