Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: Dre, Published: April 10

My one tip for controlling severe pain on planes that I experience is to wear ear plugs the whole flight. Sure, you can't do much but sit there, but being pain free is the better option, in my opinion.

Comment from: charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Well, last year I got a sciatic nerve irritation in my left hip and leg. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist. I felt like an old lady – I am only 44 now! Before seeing the PT, I got some arthritis medication, which seemed to help a little, but the side effects were so severe that I stopped taking them. I do stretching exercises every day to help myself. I got a balance nerve irritation that I tried to cope with and it is eventually gone. Now I have this Eustachian tube problem

Comment from: lkm020, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I suffered from poor hearing (sensorineural) in addition to eustachian tube blockage for many years. Hearing aids helped, but the treatment for the eustachian tube problem (Desloratidine tablets and Beconase nasal spray) made a huge difference. I went on the Atkins diet some years later and found that I no longer needed the nasal spray or the tablets. Two weeks ago my left ear blocked up again. Convinced it was the eustachian tube blockage back (I have been off the Atkins diet for a few years now, and recently been eating more bread than usual) I went back on the mediactiona. Turned out to be a wax blockage which I never had before.

Comment from: glenno, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

My ear feels strange on left side. It started a couple weeks ago and is not getting any better. I went to a specialist and he told me at first it was a sinus infection. I took augmentin for 10 days, but it didn't help. He then looked up my nose with the micro camera and didn't see anything but a little fluid draining from the Eustachian tube. He now has me on another antibiotic for 7 days. This is crazy! I can feel it more when I turn my head to that side. It feels like pressure, and kind of tickles a bit

Comment from: shortpeople, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My eardrum burst and I was told I had strep ear. I was put on antibiotics but before it healed, my face was paralyzed with Bell's Palsy. The ENT was confused, he said that Bell's Palsy is what caused by a virus (they think) and that I had a bacterial infection. After three weeks the Bell's Palsy went away (with the help of steroids) and my eardrum healed. A hearing test was done and I had little loss. The ENT said that I was fine and I told him that I wasn't because I still feel like my ear is full. Nothing has helped and that has been 11 months ago. I was hoping that I would find answers here but it sounds like everybody is just putting up with it.

Comment from: Ella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had two sinus operations. I thought I was relieved during the first operation. Then I had the second one. After two years, sinus is not my only problem, it escalated to ear blockage. I went to my ENT specialist, and I had two instances in which grommets had been fitted off and on. Now it winter, and suffering with Eustachian tube problem. It's been almost two weeks now, that I tried all the medications. Nose spray, eucalyptus inhaler, nose inhaler and still the problem persists. My only hope is my daily prayer that God, Lord Jesus will do a miracle for me.

Comment from: DingleBell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I too have Eustachian tube problems, especially in the left side. I think you could find those of us who suffer from this in an allergic way are actually also suffering food intolerances. I am lactose intolerant, and it was swelling my tonsils when I ate dairy, so I kicked it. When I eat wheat-based or soy products, my ears get worse, and often itchy, and the pressure builds. When I encounter allergens, or chemicals (which I have sensitivity to), bam, my ears get worse. My ENT doctor said to get my tonsils out after years of problems, but I don't think cutting a part of your body out is a positive thing unless it's rotting, causing critical obstruction or is cancerous. I am going to the immunologist to get proper allergy testing done, and then I will find a good naturopath. Remember the body is a whole: If something is failing, it may be because of something else. Research like mad! And don't take the doctor's word as the final one.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.