Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: misswildcat, 25-34 Female Published: January 21

I've had problems with my ears for over a year now. It started out with a lot of pressure in my head and sinuses. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. The medicine did help clear the pressure from my head but my ears began to make a cracking sound constantly. It's like putting your ear next to a bowl of rice crispies cereal. It's driving me crazy. The doctor told me that I have to have tubes put in my ears and that I can't fly or go to the mountains where there is high altitude. It could cause my ear drums to bust. I just wish that it would go away. I don't have insurance and no telling what tubes are going to cost.

Comment from: Deafy, 65-74 Female Published: January 19

I'm 68 and dismayed to read about how pesky this ear tube problem seems to be. I thought it was only me! My right side tube has been blocked for about 5 or 6 years. In the past it was only in winter and as soon as the weather warmed up it was gone, to return as the weather got cold again, but this year it is still here in summer. It feels as though there is a moth or something fluttering in your ear. The only relief I get for a minute or so, is to push it with my finger. I tried an ENT specialist who told me to inhale Eucalyptus over a bucket of hot water, gave me drops for night and day sterile water to squirt up my nose, and after spending a lot of money and getting no result I gave up. My nose also has had a tendency to block up perhaps since childhood, certainly most of my adult life. I don't sleep very well when it's hot and notice my nose seems to block up worse then. Most things seem worse when you're tired. I had hoped to find some tips on how to treat this, but it looks to be a stubborn problem. No joy.

Comment from: Tracy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I went to work on Friday. By the end of the day, I had a cough and a fever of 101 degrees. The doctor looked me over, listened to my lungs and said that it was just the flu and sent me home with a prescription for Tamiflu. A few days later, I was not feeling any better, but went to work. I went to the hospital and after a nasal swab for flu, blood tests, breathing treatments, examinations, and chest X-rays, the doctor diagnosed me with pneumonia in my right lung. He said that strangely enough, four different doctors were unable to detect anything wrong by listening to my lungs with a stethoscope, but with the X-rays, there was no denying the pneumonia.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had problems with a blocked Eustachian tube off and on for several years. It causes me dizziness, difficulty hearing, and at its worst, causes a sound that I liken to hearing "bugs in the weeds by the side of the road." One thing that has helped me at times is to take about a quarter cup of hot sauce, dip it in something such as popcorn, and then eat it. This seems to get my sinuses running and relieves the pressure. Also, I have had some success by sniffing from a jar of horseradish and it does the same thing for me.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I went to the doctor as a last resort after a period of about three weeks of 'blocked' Eustachian tubes; first one ear, then the other, then both. The doctor experience was not good. After spending a total of over $750 dollars, antibiotics, and getting side-tracked to blood-pressure and heart problems (included then EKGing me) both ears were still blocked. Over a month later I resorted to over the counter products - vitamins and ear cleansers. Maybe it was timing, but the pharmacy ear specific vitamins worked! Within 24 hours hearing in both ears really improved and 48 hours later all problems were gone. I never received a good answer from my Doctor on what the problem was...

Comment from: Dre, Published: April 10

My one tip for controlling severe pain on planes that I experience is to wear ear plugs the whole flight. Sure, you can't do much but sit there, but being pain free is the better option, in my opinion.

Comment from: charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Well, last year I got a sciatic nerve irritation in my left hip and leg. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist. I felt like an old lady – I am only 44 now! Before seeing the PT, I got some arthritis medication, which seemed to help a little, but the side effects were so severe that I stopped taking them. I do stretching exercises every day to help myself. I got a balance nerve irritation that I tried to cope with and it is eventually gone. Now I have this Eustachian tube problem

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.