Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I got two long cat scratches along the right eye and eyebrow. On the eyelid itself, there seems to be a pus pocket. I am not sure if it is related but I have been cramping in various places; I have drunk plenty of water with no help.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I researched on line and found an ENT who put stents in my eustachian tubes. Another ENT had put tubes in a few months prior which had made my symptoms unbearable. The muscles that open and close when swallowing, yawning, etc., were not moving. I was not blocked. There are just a few ENTs in the US that do this procedure so I drove a long way to see him. So worth it. I have stents and tubes. I am still working on clearing out the chronic gunk I've had for so long but I am better. It is exactly the procedure I needed.

Comment from: PAS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I started having what I thought was a toothache or ear ache. The pain got worse so I went to the emergency room. The doctor took an x-ray of my sinuses and said they were clear. It was a cut and dry case of a cold that settled in my Eustachian tubes. He prescribed me a Medrol Pak for six days and Afrin for three days. Tomorrow will start my third day and I have barely any relief. I have the worst ear pain, shooting pain in the ear and jaw with a tingling sensation all over the left side of my face. Even my vision is blurry and my face has been swollen.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I have found some very significant relief through a maneuver like the one described in the article except that I don't blow (in fact I'm very surprised that they suggest it here because I have learned and felt that it is a dangerous technique if overdone) I suck. Pinch your nose and breathe in. It seems to help to close my Eustachian tube. I have a problem with my voice being very loud in my own ears. That affected me so much when I was a kid that it kept me from speaking. As a result, my voice has always been very soft. When I was young, I had ear infections almost every year. Recently I moved to Brazil and have had sinus infections due to the climate. But now, with the things that I have learned about anatomy and the different cavities and tubes and things in my head, I don't have the problems with ear infections like I used to. Through the 'sucking' maneuver, my voice doesn't go straight to my own ear like it used to and the pressure in my ear feels a lot more normal.

Comment from: syl, Female Published: May 29

Retracted tympanic membrane for almost twenty years with numerous surgeries and medications to no avail for Eustachian tube problem. Constant fullness and never-ending hearing of own heartbeat-excruciating! Have a hard time listening to heart sounds problem for any nurse! Had tympanoplasty, tonsillectomy, tubes, and septoplasty! I can't stand it!

Comment from: suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

After many weeks of coughing due to drainage in back of throat, I went through a whole array of treatments. Sinus scan, sinus surgery, allergy testing, and finally tubes in ears. They run about 500 dollars each and are very small. They in time, fall out on their own. All this due to allergy to dust mites after removing and replacing carpet. I coughed and slept little for over a year. The tubes did help. Every spring, the fluid builds again and settles in my right ear. I am currently using a nasal spray, and Allegra for allergy control, to no avail. Right ear still has pressure on it. At night, the fluid feels what I call "the lava flow". I'm considering the tube in the ear again. Most of you will agree. How can snot make us so miserable!

Comment from: Maureen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have no useful treatments to suggest; my experience of ENT specialists is that they are a waste of time, energy and money as far as my problems go. I was surprised, however, not to see Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune disease which disables moisture-producing glands) listed as a possible cause of Eustachian tube blockage, as I know this is the cause of my problems, though not exactly how it works or how (if) my stuffy nose is related. I am in the unenviable position of knowing that my problems are, and will continue, to get worse, hopelessly. Good luck to all suffering similarly.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.