Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: Kimberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I just recently had what I think was a minimal cold, and the right ear and below in my neck area is swollen. I thought it was a lymph node swelling but the doctor said it was my eustachian tube. My ear does not hurt but the lump in the side of my neck does hurt. Just picked up medication and will see if it works. Wish me luck.

Comment from: rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I got two long cat scratches along the right eye and eyebrow. On the eyelid itself, there seems to be a pus pocket. I am not sure if it is related but I have been cramping in various places; I have drunk plenty of water with no help.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I researched on line and found an ENT who put stents in my eustachian tubes. Another ENT had put tubes in a few months prior which had made my symptoms unbearable. The muscles that open and close when swallowing, yawning, etc., were not moving. I was not blocked. There are just a few ENTs in the US that do this procedure so I drove a long way to see him. So worth it. I have stents and tubes. I am still working on clearing out the chronic gunk I've had for so long but I am better. It is exactly the procedure I needed.

Comment from: Tracy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I went to work on Friday. By the end of the day, I had a cough and a fever of 101 degrees. The doctor looked me over, listened to my lungs and said that it was just the flu and sent me home with a prescription for Tamiflu. A few days later, I was not feeling any better, but went to work. I went to the hospital and after a nasal swab for flu, blood tests, breathing treatments, examinations, and chest X-rays, the doctor diagnosed me with pneumonia in my right lung. He said that strangely enough, four different doctors were unable to detect anything wrong by listening to my lungs with a stethoscope, but with the X-rays, there was no denying the pneumonia.

Comment from: syl, Female Published: May 29

Retracted tympanic membrane for almost twenty years with numerous surgeries and medications to no avail for Eustachian tube problem. Constant fullness and never-ending hearing of own heartbeat-excruciating! Have a hard time listening to heart sounds problem for any nurse! Had tympanoplasty, tonsillectomy, tubes, and septoplasty! I can't stand it!

Comment from: suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

After many weeks of coughing due to drainage in back of throat, I went through a whole array of treatments. Sinus scan, sinus surgery, allergy testing, and finally tubes in ears. They run about 500 dollars each and are very small. They in time, fall out on their own. All this due to allergy to dust mites after removing and replacing carpet. I coughed and slept little for over a year. The tubes did help. Every spring, the fluid builds again and settles in my right ear. I am currently using a nasal spray, and Allegra for allergy control, to no avail. Right ear still has pressure on it. At night, the fluid feels what I call "the lava flow". I'm considering the tube in the ear again. Most of you will agree. How can snot make us so miserable!

Comment from: Maureen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have no useful treatments to suggest; my experience of ENT specialists is that they are a waste of time, energy and money as far as my problems go. I was surprised, however, not to see Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune disease which disables moisture-producing glands) listed as a possible cause of Eustachian tube blockage, as I know this is the cause of my problems, though not exactly how it works or how (if) my stuffy nose is related. I am in the unenviable position of knowing that my problems are, and will continue, to get worse, hopelessly. Good luck to all suffering similarly.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.