Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I went to the doctor as a last resort after a period of about three weeks of 'blocked' Eustachian tubes; first one ear, then the other, then both. The doctor experience was not good. After spending a total of over $750 dollars, antibiotics, and getting side-tracked to blood-pressure and heart problems (included then EKGing me) both ears were still blocked. Over a month later I resorted to over the counter products - vitamins and ear cleansers. Maybe it was timing, but the pharmacy ear specific vitamins worked! Within 24 hours hearing in both ears really improved and 48 hours later all problems were gone. I never received a good answer from my Doctor on what the problem was...

Comment from: suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

After many weeks of coughing due to drainage in back of throat, I went through a whole array of treatments. Sinus scan, sinus surgery, allergy testing, and finally tubes in ears. They run about 500 dollars each and are very small. They in time, fall out on their own. All this due to allergy to dust mites after removing and replacing carpet. I coughed and slept little for over a year. The tubes did help. Every spring, the fluid builds again and settles in my right ear. I am currently using a nasal spray, and Allegra for allergy control, to no avail. Right ear still has pressure on it. At night, the fluid feels what I call "the lava flow". I'm considering the tube in the ear again. Most of you will agree. How can snot make us so miserable!

Comment from: Maureen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have no useful treatments to suggest; my experience of ENT specialists is that they are a waste of time, energy and money as far as my problems go. I was surprised, however, not to see Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune disease which disables moisture-producing glands) listed as a possible cause of Eustachian tube blockage, as I know this is the cause of my problems, though not exactly how it works or how (if) my stuffy nose is related. I am in the unenviable position of knowing that my problems are, and will continue, to get worse, hopelessly. Good luck to all suffering similarly.

Comment from: pickypisces, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am experiencing severe hearing loss after a long bout of bronchitis plus sinus infections. I was given antibiotic for the chest symptoms which have cleared; I was given Sudafed to help with the swelling in the inner ear canals. Three days have shown no improvement. The usual clicks, hissing in the ears, and feeling like me head is swathed in a blanket. It is tiring; having real difficulty with conversation.

Comment from: misswildcat, 25-34 Female Published: January 21

I've had problems with my ears for over a year now. It started out with a lot of pressure in my head and sinuses. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. The medicine did help clear the pressure from my head but my ears began to make a cracking sound constantly. It's like putting your ear next to a bowl of rice crispies cereal. It's driving me crazy. The doctor told me that I have to have tubes put in my ears and that I can't fly or go to the mountains where there is high altitude. It could cause my ear drums to bust. I just wish that it would go away. I don't have insurance and no telling what tubes are going to cost.

Comment from: Deafy, 65-74 Female Published: January 19

I'm 68 and dismayed to read about how pesky this ear tube problem seems to be. I thought it was only me! My right side tube has been blocked for about 5 or 6 years. In the past it was only in winter and as soon as the weather warmed up it was gone, to return as the weather got cold again, but this year it is still here in summer. It feels as though there is a moth or something fluttering in your ear. The only relief I get for a minute or so, is to push it with my finger. I tried an ENT specialist who told me to inhale Eucalyptus over a bucket of hot water, gave me drops for night and day sterile water to squirt up my nose, and after spending a lot of money and getting no result I gave up. My nose also has had a tendency to block up perhaps since childhood, certainly most of my adult life. I don't sleep very well when it's hot and notice my nose seems to block up worse then. Most things seem worse when you're tired. I had hoped to find some tips on how to treat this, but it looks to be a stubborn problem. No joy.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.