Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: bugsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I don"t have a blockage but have had problems with my eustachian tubes, I can hear my heartbeat, and I have tinnitus. I have been tested for superior canal dehiscence but I am told I don"t have it. However I"m unsure that the doctors here know how to do the test. I don"t know what to do. One ear feels full all the time. The other has returned to normal on its own.

Comment from: PrettyEyez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

Eustachian tube (ET) Dysfunction - My chiropractor helped me with an acupuncture/acupressure technique. I have had ear pain for 3 months. Mine came on with a nasty cold. First doctor found infection and that cleared up in a couple weeks but the ear pain was worse. I have seen an ENT and done a lot of testing. ENT said ear is red and there are swollen areas so put me on a steroid/antibiotic ear drop. A month of the drops and I have seen no improvement. I am having balance problems now and I hear little bubbles popping. I did see an emergency room (ER) doctor for the ear pain between the ENT visits and he gave me a diagnosis of ET dysfunction. The ENT should have known this! So I started allergy medications and they helped everything but the pain and tube draining. Out of desperation I mentioned it to my chiropractor and asked if there was anything he could do. He did acupressure around my ear front and back and rubbed in a downward motion along the glands of my neck. I have had 2 treatments and finally my ear will pop. It isn't staying open a long time but some relief is better than none! He said a few more treatments should clear it up. Find someone that does acupuncture and see if this can help you too. Good luck!

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I'm a retired nurse that had to retire due to significant hearing loss in left ear and moderate in right! Significant enough to make me disability eligible! I've had an ongoing blocked eustachian tube now for almost 2 years on left ear. My first ENT had me on prednisone off and on to no avail. I'm now seeing another ENT who has tried tubes which apparently is not helping! I had a CT scan that showed a severe deviated septum and the ENT doctor thinks straightening would help, however insurance doesn't agree and surgery is on hold until my doctor can conference with them!

Comment from: jkcox014, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

Loud music from 4th grade to the present day has caused my ear damage. I have blocking in the left ear every day and every morning when I wake up. Hearing specialists and audiologists have confirmed I have significant hearing loss. I cannot hear less than 40 dB of high frequency or low frequency. I have moderate hearing loss in my left ear, mild hearing loss in my right. It's a shame since I'm so young and didn't acknowledge I was damaging my ears due to loud sounds for constant amounts of time. My suggestion is to not exceed 60% volume through earphones. Wear earplugs if you work with loud sound (live shows, sound engineering) and give your ears a break after 1 hour of close listening to music. That's my advice for anyone! So I am not sure about how to handle my Eustachian tube problem. It's bad every day. Two years of this consistent problem! It's the worst when I wake up to start the day. While driving through the mountains I'm constantly blowing out of my nose and people think I'm oddly snickering; pretty annoying.

Comment from: Little Tom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my ear irrigated at the nurse treatment room at my medical center about a month ago. There was a huge buildup of wax which caused me to hear my own heartbeat upon any exertion. The nurse flushed out the wax using hot water and soap in a large syringe with no needle. After the treatment she determined that my ear was bleeding around the eardrum probably from the irritation from the irrigation procedure. Since then I have had constant post-nasal drip and a mostly continuous feeling of fullness in my ear. I cannot relieve it by the methods mentioned in previous postings.

Comment from: Leolyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I"ve experienced some type of fluid build-up in my eustachian tubes without relief and moderate hearing loss for over two years. I don"t understand why a small tube with video can"t bring inserted up the eustachian tube from the nose and flush out the gunk whatever is in there, then lubricate and remove. We have video tubes that go into the mallets places, why not the eustachian tube!

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.