Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: Tfhj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

My eustachian tube problems started 3 months ago with ear wax. I have single sided hearing with 40 percent SNHL (sensorineural hearing loss) in the hearing ear and started experiencing tinnitus (roaring). My ear felt full and has a cool wet burning sensation occurring daily. The fullness and burning happens off and on all day. Sometimes the burning last for hours. I am learning to manage the roaring with a low salt diet. My hearing often sounds muffled especially without my hearing aid, but my ENT says my hearing is not being damaged. The burning and fullness is so disturbing. My ENT told me to take Allegra daily. I also take Benadryl at night.

Comment from: vamark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

For over five years I have had a blockage in my middle ear that prevents the fluid from discharging through the eustachian tube. An ENT prescribed a steroid which I took for a week. The only thing it did was to make me jittery and sleepless. I am able to remove a small amount of fluid by holding my nose and blowing, but I can never get enough out to hear properly. I also have a constant ringing in the ear.

Comment from: Tjp3302, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was walking through the house while cleaning my ear with a Q-tip. I ran into the door frame and it pushed the Q-tip all the way through my eardrum. It bleed for about a day. That was in August. My eustachian tube is still swollen shut. Hearing test is still not normal. I had allergy testing the other day to see if that is what is hindering the healing before having to get a tube put in. I don't think it is the allergies, personally.

Comment from: Kajltd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I went to an ENT doctor because of vertigo and whooshing sound in right ear. After MRI of brain and VNG (videonystagmography) test I now have sudden hearing loss in my left ear along with many phantom noises. All the ENT doctor said was that the tests are normal. His staff said I could see him for a follow up in March. I don't want to wait that long to find out what is going on. I still have some balance issues but they seem better.

Comment from: Texas Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

My left jaw hurt for a couple days along with my left ear feeling stopped up. I've had a life-long problem of my ears making too much wax. It was getting worse so I went to the doctor and sure enough both ears were severely impacted with wax. It's impossible to get it out myself because it is too far down and impacted. The wax was slowly dug out of both ears as well as the water pressure hose used on them. This is the first time it's also caused my jaw to hurt and the doctor said it's because my eustachian tube was inflamed. I have no ear infection but much inflammation. I was prescribed a steroid to rid the condition. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: James, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

Air from fan, air conditioner, and wind irritates my left ear to the point of feeling like I have fluid in my ear and it aches constantly.

Comment from: mor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

A lot of times the eustachian tube problem is TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder).

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.