Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: Tjp3302, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was walking through the house while cleaning my ear with a Q-tip. I ran into the door frame and it pushed the Q-tip all the way through my eardrum. It bleed for about a day. That was in August. My eustachian tube is still swollen shut. Hearing test is still not normal. I had allergy testing the other day to see if that is what is hindering the healing before having to get a tube put in. I don't think it is the allergies, personally.

Comment from: Kajltd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I went to an ENT doctor because of vertigo and whooshing sound in right ear. After MRI of brain and VNG (videonystagmography) test I now have sudden hearing loss in my left ear along with many phantom noises. All the ENT doctor said was that the tests are normal. His staff said I could see him for a follow up in March. I don't want to wait that long to find out what is going on. I still have some balance issues but they seem better.

Comment from: Texas Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

My left jaw hurt for a couple days along with my left ear feeling stopped up. I've had a life-long problem of my ears making too much wax. It was getting worse so I went to the doctor and sure enough both ears were severely impacted with wax. It's impossible to get it out myself because it is too far down and impacted. The wax was slowly dug out of both ears as well as the water pressure hose used on them. This is the first time it's also caused my jaw to hurt and the doctor said it's because my eustachian tube was inflamed. I have no ear infection but much inflammation. I was prescribed a steroid to rid the condition. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: keegans56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Late spring this year I experienced sudden hearing loss (SHL) in my right ear immediately after being in a severe lightning/thunderstorm that lasted four hours, with a sharp change in barometric pressure. Before this I've always enjoyed near perfect hearing in both ears. After no response to oral steroids the ENT sent me a few days later for a series of three procedures having the steroids placed into my inner ear, after severing my eardrum. This was painful and still did not restore my hearing, or stop the annoying fullness or the intermittent head pain. I was given a 'soft' diagnosis for Meniere's disorder, but am wondering if patulous eustachian tube may be more right on.

Comment from: MistyDawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was born with chronic ear disease and had 5 surgeries from ages 2 to 10 for eustachian tubes, tonsillectomy, and adenoid removal at age 2. The 5th surgery was to remove tubes from behind my eardrum. They were put there because the other tubes kept falling out. I'm now 46 and have had maybe 6 ear infections as an adult. The last one was 4 years ago, a bulbous ear infection and it was excruciating. The past few years, about once a week, sometimes less sometimes more fluid drains from my left ear. No sign of infection but occasionally it hurts mildly when fluid drains.

Comment from: James, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

Air from fan, air conditioner, and wind irritates my left ear to the point of feeling like I have fluid in my ear and it aches constantly.

Comment from: mor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

A lot of times the eustachian tube problem is TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder).

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.