Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 06

I have a blocked eustachian tube and have been prescribed various allergy pills and nasal sprays, by several doctors, none of which work. I have had some relief from Mucinex D which is an expectorant and nasal decongestant. It does thin and loosen the congestion. When you swallow while massaging in front of the ear it helps drain it. I hope it helps someone else too.

Comment from: 1soprano, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Eustachian tube blockage has resulted for me in continuous feeling of fullness in the ear, and particularly distressing, distortion in hearing and partial loss of hearing in the affected ear. Aggressive allergy control has been partially helpful. This condition came on quite suddenly.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had tubes/grommets fitted in my right ear, many times due to a blocked eustachian tube. The specialist says the eustachian tube has collapsed? Surely in this day and age there must be something that can be done other than grommets fitted? When you read the other comments on this, you realize sufferers are almost helpless.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

My ears never fully pop. I can yawn and yawn and I will always hear them pop, but it will never be enough. I also always feel like I have earwax or water in my ears, but they are always clean. I've had this for about 4 years now.

Comment from: Ear Crazy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had a problem with my ear feeling full of "something" for many years. It is not a wax problem. I now live in a very humid climate and it is getting worse and very frustrating. It is worse in my right ear when my head turns to the left. I can't sing or talk loud because my voice all of sudden blares in my head. Often when I am talking, suddenly my voice is heard very loudly on the inside. It is seriously affecting my quality of life and makes me grumpy.

Comment from: Male Published: August 04

Some people can open Eustachian tubes at will. This shows as a click and then one can hear their own voice more loudly. It seems similar to moving ones ears, which also most people cannot do.

Published: August 04

I have problem with allergies and my ears. They don't ever pop or feel full or any of the other symptoms described. They simply itch like crazy and no amount of ear or throat rubbing relieves it. Benedryl is the only thing that really works, but that puts me to sleep. I just wish someone could tell me why they are itching, not just tell me to take a Benedryl.

Published: July 28

My daughter has suffered from dysfunctional eustachian tube since birth. Besides a tube what else can we do to make her tube healthier to function on its own. We have tried from Rhinocort to Afrin nose sprays praying that it would help drain the fluid and nothing has helped. She is a teenager now and still suffers from this problem. I understand there are many children and well as adults that have this problem. I thought by now that be something medically i.e. surgically that could restore her tube.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.