Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had a blocked Eustachian tube in my ear for seven years, and I also suffer from tinnitus. They tell me they can do nothing for me. I take Ambien to sleep at night.

Published: July 24

I've had eustachian tube problems since I was a child. I'm 37 years old now. I have significant hearing loss and damage to my ear drums from the fluid buildup. I was able to get a tube in my left ear a couple of years ago, which relieved the intense pressure I had. I just take allergy medicine on a regular basis and am learning sign language to deal with the hearing loss. I always have ear pain and popping when I swallow. I'm resigned to the condition as doctors can't help.

Published: July 14

The left side of my nose and ear always feels plugged, I have allergic asthma and notice that when these symptoms are at their worst it aggravates my asthma.

Published: July 09

I have suffered sinus problems and reoccurring ear infections since a child. Now 41 I have a hearing loss in both ears. I have had one blocked Eustachian tube for the past 18 months which has made my hearing suffer, making wearing a hearing aid virtually worthless. I have tried decongestants, antihistamines, nasal sprays, trying to equalize my ear, which works temporarily but blocks within seconds. I have seen an ENT specialist whom would not look at tubes in my ear. I am now going to see another specialist to seek a second opinion. I have also been told that Cranial Sacral Therapy may help strengthen the surrounding muscles thereby helping to allow the tube to function. I have heard that this has been of some success to some patients.

Published: June 24

I have had eustachian tube dysfunction for three years. I did not know what it was then. I just knew I couldn't here out of one of my ear. A doctor sent me to an audiologist who did a hearing test and said everything was fine. I continued to have problems off and on taking over-the-counter medication. In December of 2006, I finally found out I had fluid on my eardrum. Then another doctor told me I have eustachian tube dysfunction. She prescribed a nasal spray for three weeks and said nothing could really be done unless I could not live with the symptoms. Doctors don't like to put tubes in adults' ears. After that, I went to an ear, nose throat doctor (ENT) because of the fluid, dizziness, and headaches. The ENT said he didn't see anything and did another hearing test and said I was fine. Right now is the worst it's ever been. I have had four migraines in the past few weeks. The nasal wash gave me relief from the pressure in my frontal area, but no success as of yet with opening the tubes.

Published: June 11

On and off for the last 10 years I have experienced a muffled effect in either one or both of my ears (like being underwater). It used to happen occasionally perhaps twice a year, but at the moment it happens every day, sometimes several times a day. My doctor told me nothing can be done about it, but I am very worried by this diagnosis as I am a teacher and find it very hard to hear properly when affected by this condition. I cannot understand why it happens so frequently now. 'Popping' my ears, as suggested by my GP (general practitioner), does not work and his suggestion that it is caused by a mild infection or being run down also does not explain the regularity with which this is occurring.

Published: June 11

I began with an occasional hissing sound. This progressed to a feeling of being closed and louder hissing. Sounds were muffled. I also thought I had wax build-up but a remedy did nothing. The doctor said I had a clogged eustachian tube, and I should chew gum and use a nasal spray. After three months with no relief, I went to an ENT (ear, nose throat) doctor, who first tested my hearing. I have no nerve damage or hearing loss. He prescribed a different nasal spray. I have now been dealing with this for a year and no one seems to know what is wrong. All looks in my ears result in the same statement. They don't see anything wrong. The noise/static is driving me insane and is getting louder by the week.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.