Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: frustrated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My last set of permanent Eustachian tubes came out in 1995 and I have dealt with this since I was 43. I have found that rinsing with saline nasally and using Afrin nose spray helps. I do have allergies and I take fexofenadine (Allegra) and montelukast (Singulair) daily.

Comment from: John D, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 64 years old and my left eustachian tube has been blocked for the past 20 years. Over that time I have had several grommets fitted, the last one staying in for almost 12 months. They have provided relief but within one to two weeks of 'falling out', the problem returns. The eustachian tube fills with fluid and then gradually becomes painful. Antibiotics do not seem to have any effect. My Ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist says it is permanently blocked by scar tissue and nothing can be done surgically to fix it.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

With my Eustachian tube problems, I have severe pressure in my head and ears as well as my face behind my nose. I get migraines weekly and pretty much live with a headache daily. I am a healthy 38-year-old female. I've never been sick other than the yearly cold. I have been to the doctors several times. I've had CT Scans of my sinuses and brain (both came back normal), and blood work to try to figure out what is wrong with me. My eyes even hurt from it. I went to the eye doctor who gave me steroids. They relive the pain, but this is only masking the problem, and I don't want to take them forever. I know they aren't good for you.

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had a blocked Eustachian tube in my ear for seven years, and I also suffer from tinnitus. They tell me they can do nothing for me. I take Ambien to sleep at night.

Published: July 24

I've had eustachian tube problems since I was a child. I'm 37 years old now. I have significant hearing loss and damage to my ear drums from the fluid buildup. I was able to get a tube in my left ear a couple of years ago, which relieved the intense pressure I had. I just take allergy medicine on a regular basis and am learning sign language to deal with the hearing loss. I always have ear pain and popping when I swallow. I'm resigned to the condition as doctors can't help.

Published: July 14

The left side of my nose and ear always feels plugged, I have allergic asthma and notice that when these symptoms are at their worst it aggravates my asthma.

Published: July 09

I have suffered sinus problems and reoccurring ear infections since a child. Now 41 I have a hearing loss in both ears. I have had one blocked Eustachian tube for the past 18 months which has made my hearing suffer, making wearing a hearing aid virtually worthless. I have tried decongestants, antihistamines, nasal sprays, trying to equalize my ear, which works temporarily but blocks within seconds. I have seen an ENT specialist whom would not look at tubes in my ear. I am now going to see another specialist to seek a second opinion. I have also been told that Cranial Sacral Therapy may help strengthen the surrounding muscles thereby helping to allow the tube to function. I have heard that this has been of some success to some patients.

Published: June 24

I have had eustachian tube dysfunction for three years. I did not know what it was then. I just knew I couldn't here out of one of my ear. A doctor sent me to an audiologist who did a hearing test and said everything was fine. I continued to have problems off and on taking over-the-counter medication. In December of 2006, I finally found out I had fluid on my eardrum. Then another doctor told me I have eustachian tube dysfunction. She prescribed a nasal spray for three weeks and said nothing could really be done unless I could not live with the symptoms. Doctors don't like to put tubes in adults' ears. After that, I went to an ear, nose throat doctor (ENT) because of the fluid, dizziness, and headaches. The ENT said he didn't see anything and did another hearing test and said I was fine. Right now is the worst it's ever been. I have had four migraines in the past few weeks. The nasal wash gave me relief from the pressure in my frontal area, but no success as of yet with opening the tubes.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.