Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Published: June 11

On and off for the last 10 years I have experienced a muffled effect in either one or both of my ears (like being underwater). It used to happen occasionally perhaps twice a year, but at the moment it happens every day, sometimes several times a day. My doctor told me nothing can be done about it, but I am very worried by this diagnosis as I am a teacher and find it very hard to hear properly when affected by this condition. I cannot understand why it happens so frequently now. 'Popping' my ears, as suggested by my GP (general practitioner), does not work and his suggestion that it is caused by a mild infection or being run down also does not explain the regularity with which this is occurring.

Published: June 11

I began with an occasional hissing sound. This progressed to a feeling of being closed and louder hissing. Sounds were muffled. I also thought I had wax build-up but a remedy did nothing. The doctor said I had a clogged eustachian tube, and I should chew gum and use a nasal spray. After three months with no relief, I went to an ENT (ear, nose throat) doctor, who first tested my hearing. I have no nerve damage or hearing loss. He prescribed a different nasal spray. I have now been dealing with this for a year and no one seems to know what is wrong. All looks in my ears result in the same statement. They don't see anything wrong. The noise/static is driving me insane and is getting louder by the week.

Published: June 10

My ear seems too open, I hear my voice reverberate inside my head when I talk, and I can only relieve it by sniffing often. By the end of the day I have a severe headache that could almost be described as a bubble inside my head, and the pain goes all the way to the root of my cerebellum. I have had cat scans and MRI's to no avail. I was prescribed medication before to open my eustachian tube which made it even worse, then, another doctor decided it was too open. I will be seeing an ENT specialist again in a week or so and I wonder what they will tell me next. My family doctor looked at my ear drum and said it was dull, but could not tell me anything else. One more thing, if I drink a caffeinated drink my headache gets relieved, most of the time.

Published: June 09

I have been told I have small eustachian tubes for an adult and suffer from allergies, lately I have noticed I wake up with a very small amount of fluid in my ear each morning.

Published: June 09

Three days ago I started to hear hissing noises in my ear rather like static, later that day I noticed that I had an almost complete loss of hearing in my left ear together with a feeling of fullness or blockage in that ear. I thought originally that I had an earwax blockage so I went to my doctor to have it syringed out. He found that there was no earwax build-up and thought there might be a build-up of fluid in the inner ear perhaps due to a blockage of the eustachian tube. He said not much could be done except to use a nasal decongestant. I find the hearing loss quite worrying.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: October 06

I have a blocked eustachian tube and have been prescribed various allergy pills and nasal sprays, by several doctors, none of which work. I have had some relief from Mucinex D which is an expectorant and nasal decongestant. It does thin and loosen the congestion. When you swallow while massaging in front of the ear it helps drain it. I hope it helps someone else too.

Comment from: 1soprano, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Eustachian tube blockage has resulted for me in continuous feeling of fullness in the ear, and particularly distressing, distortion in hearing and partial loss of hearing in the affected ear. Aggressive allergy control has been partially helpful. This condition came on quite suddenly.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had tubes/grommets fitted in my right ear, many times due to a blocked eustachian tube. The specialist says the eustachian tube has collapsed? Surely in this day and age there must be something that can be done other than grommets fitted? When you read the other comments on this, you realize sufferers are almost helpless.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.