Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: jkcox014, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

Loud music from 4th grade to the present day has caused my ear damage. I have blocking in the left ear every day and every morning when I wake up. Hearing specialists and audiologists have confirmed I have significant hearing loss. I cannot hear less than 40 dB of high frequency or low frequency. I have moderate hearing loss in my left ear, mild hearing loss in my right. It's a shame since I'm so young and didn't acknowledge I was damaging my ears due to loud sounds for constant amounts of time. My suggestion is to not exceed 60% volume through earphones. Wear earplugs if you work with loud sound (live shows, sound engineering) and give your ears a break after 1 hour of close listening to music. That's my advice for anyone! So I am not sure about how to handle my Eustachian tube problem. It's bad every day. Two years of this consistent problem! It's the worst when I wake up to start the day. While driving through the mountains I'm constantly blowing out of my nose and people think I'm oddly snickering; pretty annoying.

Comment from: Little Tom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my ear irrigated at the nurse treatment room at my medical center about a month ago. There was a huge buildup of wax which caused me to hear my own heartbeat upon any exertion. The nurse flushed out the wax using hot water and soap in a large syringe with no needle. After the treatment she determined that my ear was bleeding around the eardrum probably from the irritation from the irrigation procedure. Since then I have had constant post-nasal drip and a mostly continuous feeling of fullness in my ear. I cannot relieve it by the methods mentioned in previous postings.

Comment from: A C, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I wear hearing aids, very often I cannot hear anything, due to my blocked eustachian tube. I will hear well after I blow my ear with my hand holding my nose to blow it. But my left ear sometime does not respond to this treatment. I try on chewing gum or nose spray, but it does not work for me. I was told to keep blowing my ear. Sometimes I am very discouraged by this condition. I often have to clear my throat as I feel something in there. My tonsils were removed several years back.

Comment from: JEF45, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had upper respiratory cold 1 month ago with ear and sinus infection. I had to take 2 antibiotics and a steroid. All is better except my ears. I have never experienced ear problems ever before. I have tried drinking gallons of water, Mucinex D, heating pad on ears, steam heat and seen my ENT 4 times and there is no wax or fluid in the ear. My ears remain closed with intermittent popping with reduced hearing and fullness. I have tried all home remedies and nothing works. The noise is driving me crazy and the loss of hearing is very scary!

Comment from: Leolyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I"ve experienced some type of fluid build-up in my eustachian tubes without relief and moderate hearing loss for over two years. I don"t understand why a small tube with video can"t bring inserted up the eustachian tube from the nose and flush out the gunk whatever is in there, then lubricate and remove. We have video tubes that go into the mallets places, why not the eustachian tube!

Comment from: Frank, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I have an intermittent sound in my right ear that sounds like popping bubbles. If I lay on my right side the sound usually goes away. Laying on my left side it will start up again. I wear hearing aids on both sides but have stopped using the one for my right ear since the strange noise. Sometimes the noise gets so intense it sounds like someone arc welding.

Comment from: 66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a tube inserted into my ear. I am 66 years old. When tube was exiting my ear it became imbedded in wax. I now have liquid in my ear again.

Comment from: nattyg, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am only assuming that I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I have fullness in my right ear daily, and the "popping" sensation at times. My balance has been affected greatly by this. I started taking generic sleep aids to help me sleep at night, and was pleased to find that their main component is the diphenhydramine used to treat allergy symptoms. This helps a lot. I read somewhere to blow a balloon to remove blockage, and my physician prescribed a nasal spray that I'm reluctant to take because I didn't think I had allergies. I will be seeing my third ENT soon, and I am going to mention the tubes used to open blocked ear cavities. I want to encourage anyone who reads this to keep a record of your symptoms and show it to an ENT so that he/she can closely evaluate you and find the best treatment for you. Having ENT problems makes other people think you're a hypochondriac (forgive my spelling, you all know what I mean) because they can't see the pain you're in or the frustration you experience.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.