Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: mia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was being treated for an ear infection (swimmers ear), and while on antibiotics, the pain and fever went away, but I began to feel extremely full of pressure in the infected ear. It has been a week now, and nothing seems to give me lasting relief. The ear will not "pop" when forced, decongestants help briefly, but the feeling of pressure and fullness does not seem to leave for long. Thinking it was wax or some sort of build up, I have begun to irrigate the ear with a mix of peroxide and water- which helps for a little while as well, but the feelings always return.

Comment from: dew, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

One of my brothers and I have been plagued by ear infections since childhood. We have very similar facial features and jaws. I think the bone structures have been the cause of the eustachian tube dysfunctions in both of us. My tinnitus has recently become more constant, especially in the quiet times. Sleeping has become a challenge. My brother has had eustachian tube manipulation done by a chiropractor. It helps to open the tube and it has given him some relief. I have not yet tried this but may have to soon. With the slightest cold or allergic reaction I get fluid in the ear(s) and the tinnitus starts.

Comment from: frustrated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My last set of permanent Eustachian tubes came out in 1995 and I have dealt with this since I was 43. I have found that rinsing with saline nasally and using Afrin nose spray helps. I do have allergies and I take fexofenadine (Allegra) and montelukast (Singulair) daily.

Comment from: John D, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 64 years old and my left eustachian tube has been blocked for the past 20 years. Over that time I have had several grommets fitted, the last one staying in for almost 12 months. They have provided relief but within one to two weeks of 'falling out', the problem returns. The eustachian tube fills with fluid and then gradually becomes painful. Antibiotics do not seem to have any effect. My Ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist says it is permanently blocked by scar tissue and nothing can be done surgically to fix it.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

With my Eustachian tube problems, I have severe pressure in my head and ears as well as my face behind my nose. I get migraines weekly and pretty much live with a headache daily. I am a healthy 38-year-old female. I've never been sick other than the yearly cold. I have been to the doctors several times. I've had CT Scans of my sinuses and brain (both came back normal), and blood work to try to figure out what is wrong with me. My eyes even hurt from it. I went to the eye doctor who gave me steroids. They relive the pain, but this is only masking the problem, and I don't want to take them forever. I know they aren't good for you.

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had a blocked Eustachian tube in my ear for seven years, and I also suffer from tinnitus. They tell me they can do nothing for me. I take Ambien to sleep at night.

Published: July 24

I've had eustachian tube problems since I was a child. I'm 37 years old now. I have significant hearing loss and damage to my ear drums from the fluid buildup. I was able to get a tube in my left ear a couple of years ago, which relieved the intense pressure I had. I just take allergy medicine on a regular basis and am learning sign language to deal with the hearing loss. I always have ear pain and popping when I swallow. I'm resigned to the condition as doctors can't help.

Published: July 14

The left side of my nose and ear always feels plugged, I have allergic asthma and notice that when these symptoms are at their worst it aggravates my asthma.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.