Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: Frank, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I have an intermittent sound in my right ear that sounds like popping bubbles. If I lay on my right side the sound usually goes away. Laying on my left side it will start up again. I wear hearing aids on both sides but have stopped using the one for my right ear since the strange noise. Sometimes the noise gets so intense it sounds like someone arc welding.

Comment from: A C, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I wear hearing aids, very often I cannot hear anything, due to my blocked eustachian tube. I will hear well after I blow my ear with my hand holding my nose to blow it. But my left ear sometime does not respond to this treatment. I try on chewing gum or nose spray, but it does not work for me. I was told to keep blowing my ear. Sometimes I am very discouraged by this condition. I often have to clear my throat as I feel something in there. My tonsils were removed several years back.

Comment from: JEF45, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had upper respiratory cold 1 month ago with ear and sinus infection. I had to take 2 antibiotics and a steroid. All is better except my ears. I have never experienced ear problems ever before. I have tried drinking gallons of water, Mucinex D, heating pad on ears, steam heat and seen my ENT 4 times and there is no wax or fluid in the ear. My ears remain closed with intermittent popping with reduced hearing and fullness. I have tried all home remedies and nothing works. The noise is driving me crazy and the loss of hearing is very scary!

Comment from: 66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a tube inserted into my ear. I am 66 years old. When tube was exiting my ear it became imbedded in wax. I now have liquid in my ear again.

Comment from: nattyg, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am only assuming that I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I have fullness in my right ear daily, and the "popping" sensation at times. My balance has been affected greatly by this. I started taking generic sleep aids to help me sleep at night, and was pleased to find that their main component is the diphenhydramine used to treat allergy symptoms. This helps a lot. I read somewhere to blow a balloon to remove blockage, and my physician prescribed a nasal spray that I'm reluctant to take because I didn't think I had allergies. I will be seeing my third ENT soon, and I am going to mention the tubes used to open blocked ear cavities. I want to encourage anyone who reads this to keep a record of your symptoms and show it to an ENT so that he/she can closely evaluate you and find the best treatment for you. Having ENT problems makes other people think you're a hypochondriac (forgive my spelling, you all know what I mean) because they can't see the pain you're in or the frustration you experience.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have to say anyone experiencing popping, pressure, annoying clicking all day long go for the tubes. I have had great success w/ ear tubes due to these annoying symptoms. My only problem is getting them to stay. First time had them done in ENT office, one came out 6 months later so the doctor decided to try a longer lasting tube in "OR" could last 3-5 yrs, just found out yesterday left ear tube is starting to come out and my miserable symptoms are all back. I am 37 and I hate the fact that I will probably be dealing with this the rest of my life. I had 100% relief after tubes; I just wish they would stay.

Comment from: kates, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Two years ago I got a sinus infection, the only one I've ever had. I took antibiotics and it cleared up, but my ET (eustachian tubes) have been really annoying since then. Even the slightest change of altitude while driving usually causes my ears to clog, and click, and then I have to yawn like crazy, swallow, and blow my nose to relieve the pressure. I didn't know until a few months ago there was such a syndrome as "ET dysfunction" but now that I've happily diagnosed myself, I still get especially bad ears during a cold or right before I get sick. It lasts for months after the cold is gone. As far as advice goes- I've gotten really good at yawning -tilting my head back, specifically concentrating on tightening the muscles at the back of the throat. This works for me until I find something more lasting.

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.