Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Experience

Please describe your experience with eustachian tube problems.

Comment from: keegans56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Late spring this year I experienced sudden hearing loss (SHL) in my right ear immediately after being in a severe lightning/thunderstorm that lasted four hours, with a sharp change in barometric pressure. Before this I've always enjoyed near perfect hearing in both ears. After no response to oral steroids the ENT sent me a few days later for a series of three procedures having the steroids placed into my inner ear, after severing my eardrum. This was painful and still did not restore my hearing, or stop the annoying fullness or the intermittent head pain. I was given a 'soft' diagnosis for Meniere's disorder, but am wondering if patulous eustachian tube may be more right on.

Comment from: MistyDawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was born with chronic ear disease and had 5 surgeries from ages 2 to 10 for eustachian tubes, tonsillectomy, and adenoid removal at age 2. The 5th surgery was to remove tubes from behind my eardrum. They were put there because the other tubes kept falling out. I'm now 46 and have had maybe 6 ear infections as an adult. The last one was 4 years ago, a bulbous ear infection and it was excruciating. The past few years, about once a week, sometimes less sometimes more fluid drains from my left ear. No sign of infection but occasionally it hurts mildly when fluid drains.

Comment from: A Howzer, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 07

I am nerve deaf in left ear. I have background noises in right ear which causes hearing level to decrease. I wear a digital hearing aid which works well. My eustachian tube frequently fills up and blocks my ability to hear well. In the past coughing or swallowing worked well (I also have post nasal drip), but I now have to clear my throat sometimes forcefully to clear my eustachian tube. Then within minutes, I can feel it filling up again. I need an ENT/post nasal drip specialist! I have to do this so often sometimes I get very embarrassed (very noisy).

Comment from: hollallen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I would strongly suggest one sees a chiropractor. I am not saying all eustachian tube problems are related but mine sure was. I suffered with allergies and a blocked right ear with vertigo for a year. The doctors (2 of them) said I had eustachian tube blockage and put me on nasal steroids for a year with minimal results. They were getting ready to send me to an ENT and I just felt it was structural. I went to a chiropractor and x-rays showed my 2nd and 3rd vertebrae were misaligned and squeezing on nerves affecting my sinuses and ears. With neck and spinal manipulation, within 3 days my hearing returned, dizziness left, and my sinuses cleared. I still have ways to go but I have found my problem. If you have tried everything, I strongly suggest seeing a chiropractor.

Comment from: bugsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I don"t have a blockage but have had problems with my eustachian tubes, I can hear my heartbeat, and I have tinnitus. I have been tested for superior canal dehiscence but I am told I don"t have it. However I"m unsure that the doctors here know how to do the test. I don"t know what to do. One ear feels full all the time. The other has returned to normal on its own.

Comment from: PrettyEyez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

Eustachian tube (ET) Dysfunction - My chiropractor helped me with an acupuncture/acupressure technique. I have had ear pain for 3 months. Mine came on with a nasty cold. First doctor found infection and that cleared up in a couple weeks but the ear pain was worse. I have seen an ENT and done a lot of testing. ENT said ear is red and there are swollen areas so put me on a steroid/antibiotic ear drop. A month of the drops and I have seen no improvement. I am having balance problems now and I hear little bubbles popping. I did see an emergency room (ER) doctor for the ear pain between the ENT visits and he gave me a diagnosis of ET dysfunction. The ENT should have known this! So I started allergy medications and they helped everything but the pain and tube draining. Out of desperation I mentioned it to my chiropractor and asked if there was anything he could do. He did acupressure around my ear front and back and rubbed in a downward motion along the glands of my neck. I have had 2 treatments and finally my ear will pop. It isn't staying open a long time but some relief is better than none! He said a few more treatments should clear it up. Find someone that does acupuncture and see if this can help you too. Good luck!

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I'm a retired nurse that had to retire due to significant hearing loss in left ear and moderate in right! Significant enough to make me disability eligible! I've had an ongoing blocked eustachian tube now for almost 2 years on left ear. My first ENT had me on prednisone off and on to no avail. I'm now seeing another ENT who has tried tubes which apparently is not helping! I had a CT scan that showed a severe deviated septum and the ENT doctor thinks straightening would help, however insurance doesn't agree and surgery is on hold until my doctor can conference with them!

Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments Question: How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?
Eustachian Tube Problems - Altitude and Air Travel Question: Did air travel or a change in altitude cause your Eustachian tube problems? Please share your experience.