Eustachian Tube Problems Index
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Problems include partial or complete blockage which can cause popping, clicking, and ear fullness. Allergies, sinus and ear infections, or the common cold can cause this blockage, while altitude changes can cause symptoms in those persons with Eustachian tube problems. Treatment includes several maneuvers (swallowing, chewing gum, yawning etc.), which can be done to improve Eustachian tube function.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Ear
There are three sections of the ear, according to the anatomy textbooks. They are the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner...learn more »
In This Article
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip Article
- Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip facts
- What is the purpose of the nose?
- What are rhinitis and post-nasal drip?
- What causes rhinitis?
- Is rhinitis always related to allergies?
- What conditions cause an abnormal production of nasal secretions?
- What conditions cause an impaired clearance of nasal secretions?
- How can chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip be treated?
- What medications can be used to treat rhinitis and post-nasal drip?
- What can be used to treat non-allergic rhinitis?
- Does salt water have any role in the treatment of rhinitis and post-nasal drip?
- What are other options for the treatment of rhinitis and post-nasal drip?
It is thought that the tonsils and adenoids assist the body in fighting incoming bacteria and viruses by helping the body form...learn more »
In This Article
- What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?
- Tonsillitis and adenoid infection facts
- What are the tonsils and adenoids?
- What are the symptoms of tonsillitis or an adenoid infection?
- Is tonsillitis contagious?
- What are common problems affecting the tonsils and adenoids?
- How are tonsillitis and adenoid infection diagnosed?
- How are tonsillitis and adenoid infection treated?
- What home remedies help soothe tonsillitis?
- When should the tonsils and/or adenoids be removed?
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...learn more »
In This Article
Flu (Influenza) Article
- Flu (influenza, conventional, H1N1, H3N2, and bird flu [H5N1]) facts
- What is influenza?
- What are the causes of the flu?
- What are flu symptoms in adults and in children?
- How is the flu diagnosed?
- What is the key to flu prevention?
- Are there any flu shot or nasal spray vaccine side effects in adults or in children?
- Why should the influenza vaccine be taken every year?
- What are some flu treatments an individual can do at home?
- When should a person go to the emergency department for the flu?
- Who should receive the flu vaccine, and who has the highest risk factors? When should someone get the flu shot?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) and complications for patients who get the flu?
- What is the bird (avian) flu?
- Do antiviral agents protect people from the flu?
- Is it safe to get a flu shot that contains thimerosal?
- Where can I find additional information about the flu?
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...learn more »
In This Article
Ear Infection (Otitis Media) Article
- Ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) facts
- What is otitis media (middle ear infection or inflammation)?
- What are the symptoms of acute middle ear infection?
- How common is acute middle ear infection or inflammation?
- "Are ear infections contagious?
- Why do young children tend to have ear infections?
- How does the Eustachian tube change as a child gets older?
- What microorganisms cause middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What is the relationship between bottlefeeding and middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What are the risk factors for acute middle ear infection or inflammation?
- How is acute otitis media diagnosed?
- How is acute middle ear infection or inflammation treated?
- Are there any home remedies for acute ear infection (otitis media)?
- What causes chronic middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What happens to the eardrum in chronic middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What happens to the eardrum if a hole develops in the eardrum?
- How is chronic middle ear infection or inflammation treated?
- What are the goals of chronic otitis media surgery?
- What is serious middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What limitations are there on a child with middle ear infection or inflammation?
- Can otitis media (middle ear infection or inflammation) be prevented?