Estradiol (Alora; Climara; Delestrogen; Depo-Estradiol; Divigel; Elestrin; Estrace; Estrasorb; Estrogel; Evamist; Femring; Menostar; Minivelle; Vivelle; Vivelle-Dot) is a drug prescribed to treat the symptoms of menopause, prevention of bone fractures (osteoporosis), painful uterine bleeding, vaginal pain, dryness and atrophy associated with menopause. Estradiol is also prescribed for the treatment of breast cancer, and some cases of prostate cancer. Side effects, drug interactions, patient information, and dosage should be reviewed prior to taking this medication.
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...learn more »
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...learn more »
In This Article
Vaginal Bleeding Article
- Vaginal bleeding facts
- What is normal vaginal bleeding?
- What is abnormal vaginal bleeding?
- What conditions cause abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are ovulating regularly?
- What conditions cause vaginal bleeding after menopause or abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are not ovulating regularly?
- What causes abnormal vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?
- What causes vaginal bleeding during or after sexual intercourse?
- What diagnostic tests are used to evaluate abnormal vaginal bleeding?
- How is irregular vaginal bleeding treated?
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. In order to distinguish night sweats...learn more »
In This Article
Vulvodynia (Vaginal Pain) Article
- Vaginal pain and vulvodynia facts
- What is vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?
- What causes vaginal pain and/or vulvodynia?
- What about vaginal pain during pregnancy?
- What symptoms are characteristic of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- What are risk factors for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- How is vaginal pain and vulvodynia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- Medications and other medical therapies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia
- Home remedies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia
- What are the complications of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...learn more »
In This Article
- Osteoporosis facts
- What is osteoporosis?
- What are osteoporosis causes and risk factors?
- What are osteoporosis symptoms and signs?
- What are the consequences of osteoporosis?
- Why is osteoporosis an important public health issue?
- What factors determine bone strength?
- What tests do health care professionals use in the diagnosis of osteoporosis?
- What types of health care professionals treat osteoporosis?
- Who should have bone density testing?
- What is the treatment for osteoporosis, and can osteoporosis be prevented?
- Exercise, quitting cigarettes, and curtailing alcohol
- Calcium supplements for osteoporosis
- Vitamin D for osteoporosis
- Can adding certain foods to one's diet help to prevent osteoporosis?
- Are there foods to avoid when it comes to osteoporosis?
- Hormone therapy (menopausal hormone therapy)
- Medications that prevent bone loss and breakdown
- Choosing an osteoporosis medication
- Prevention of osteoporosis due to long-term corticosteroids
- Monitoring osteoporosis therapy
- Prevention of hip fractures in elderly people with osteoporosis
- What are complications of osteoporosis?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with osteoporosis?
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...learn more »