Patient Comments: Esophagitis - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your esophagitis?

Comment from: Cookiesk9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed with esophagitis due to GERD (acid reflux) a day before my wedding. I've had troubles with my throat for about 3 to 4 months now and my primary doctor wouldn't treat me for it at all. She gave me pills and said 'take these, you'll be ok'. If I wouldn't have gone to the hospital to get these tests done, I would be on my 5th month with untreated esophagitis. My new doctor has given me hope that I will (eventually) be ok. The damage I did to my body (with unhealthy diets and foods) over the course of 10 years is not going to get fixed in a few months; that I understand but the pain and frustration is huge! Just breathe, you will be ok. Vivera is a probiotic that has helped me immensely. It tastes like oatmeal water. It coats the esophagus and reduces acid reflux. Also, a glass of almond milk works, eating and going for walks, protein shakes (when you're in a rush or when you're in pain, you still have to eat so the shakes are great). Faith, hope, friends, family, and a positive attitude is what we all need to get through this.

Comment from: BlondeGeyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I chew 2 pieces of gum for about 20 minutes 3 times a day and this includes half hour before bedtime. Gum with bicarbonates is best. (Avoid Cinnamon gum, spearmint, peppermint too even though there are lots of claims that peppermint is soothing for esophagitis it burns me!) This gum chewing increases PH I've read/decreasing acidity levels and really seems to soothe my dry esophagus. Increasing water helps hydrate overall so that's important, but it never seemed to moisten my throat and my sinuses even felt dry making it like harder to breathe. I find when I chew the gum which I am now never without, my throat feel hydrated and soothed. Please be careful of sweeteners in gum. Try a health food store; no aspartame! Other than that, not overeating, no caffeine or tomato products or spicy foods, especially black pepper!

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

For Elle: try taking Pepto-Bismol. It coats the lining of the gastrointestinal tract and will give it a chance to heal. Worth a try.

Comment from: Elle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been experiencing problems for the past 3 months. At first it was a pain in my right side where my gall bladder is located. I had an ultra sound done and it appears normal. When I eat it hurts like it is having a spasm. Then I started developing intolerance to foods, and feeling like I can"t breathe after eating food. I had an endoscopy, several biopsies, and was diagnosed with esophagitis. Biopsies were normal. I was prescribed Prilosec, my stomach is bloated, and hurts all the time. Taking Protonix, now I can"t eat, food is repulsive, I am forcing myself to juice to get vegetables into my body. Meat, out of the question. I feel like I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I can"t sleep, my stomach burns all night, taking liquid analgesic gives me diarrhea and makes my stomach sore. Tried Gaviscon liquid and my hands felt swollen in the am. I am at my wit's end.

Comment from: jane k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been on an ayurvedic diet for 3 months and it has made a huge difference, reducing acidity in my stomach, and inflammation in my throat. I feel in better health all round and have more consistent energy than I have had for a long time. I am now not holding to it strictly but am careful to maintain the principles of eating. Cutting out all breads and processed foods, and reducing the amount of tea and coffee I drink has made a huge difference. It's certainly worth a try!

Comment from: Believe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I know esophagitis hurts and can be very painful. I have tried everything and found nothing helps.

Esophagitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Causes Question: What caused your esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Diet Question: What diet changes have you been made to help your esophagitis?