Patient Comments: Esophagitis - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your esophagitis?

Comment from: jane k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been on an ayurvedic diet for 3 months and it has made a huge difference, reducing acidity in my stomach, and inflammation in my throat. I feel in better health all round and have more consistent energy than I have had for a long time. I am now not holding to it strictly but am careful to maintain the principles of eating. Cutting out all breads and processed foods, and reducing the amount of tea and coffee I drink has made a huge difference. It's certainly worth a try!

Comment from: cwlb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I'm a 36-year-old female who started having a lot of problems with my stomach in 2004. I had nausea every day for three years. I had every test possible performed on my stomach, and they found nothing. I knew something was wrong, so I went to an allergy doctor to see if I was allergic to food. I wasn't allergic to food, but I was to everything else! My allergy doctor put me on Periactin and said it would help my "sick" stomach. It did! I also started allergy shots, which I still take. I can tell you that the Periactin does help my stomach and my esophagitis, which acts up when my allergies are bothered. I can only say if you think your problems are stomach-related, but nothing is helping, you may be looking at the wrong problem. Check out the possibility of allergies. I pray that anyone with this problem finds relief!

Comment from: kristiambrose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I am wondering if this is something that will last forever. I just had an endoscopy done today (last night) after having over 20 years of problems with indigestion, heart burn and upset stomachs. In the last 8 weeks I have been vomiting and having nausea non stop. So I finally decided to go to a GI specialist who did an endoscopy on me. Everything looks fine (as per usual). I had a torn section (probably from vomiting) but it is healed up, but I was diagnosed with a definite bout of Esophagitis. I don't really believe/like taking medications. My I doctor gave me Zergrid. Anyway, like every person that gets sick or a disease, they realize all the things they are going to miss out on. Food is a big thing in my life. I have a BA in Culinary Arts, and our whole family loves to cook and eat yummy stuff! At this moment in time I can barely eat anything without either vomiting or getting nausea.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have learned it is important to know all the facts about the medication the doctor puts you on. When going off of a medication I have learned it's important to talk with a doctor. I have been taking Nexium for my Esophagitis. My brother in Law has been on Nexium for a long time and he couldn't afford the medication. As a result of going off the medication he developed an ulcer. He just got hospitalized the other day with an ulcer that almost killed him. I am not saying this might be the case for everyone; it's just good to find out the facts when taking acid reducing medicine.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am suffering from a gastric problem for the last 6 years. Doctors have conducted various tests related to this problem. All the tests are normal except the endoscopy wherein the problem of oesophagitis grande-2 has been observed by doctors. Twice during the clinical tests, the doctors are prescribing antacids to cure this problem. During this process I have lost my appetite and 15 kgs of my body weight.

Comment from: Esophagus :-), 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have been diagnosed with esophagitis grade 1 about 5 years ago. Even as recently as 6 months back I had an upper endoscopy done to reconfirm the presence of esophagitis (diagnosed as linear erosions in esophagus). I was on Esomeprazole for a while but did not bother to follow up with my doctor and have been suffering almost on and off from a burning sensation. One of the main reasons for not seeing the doc was that the esomeprazoel stuff was hitting my digestion badly (presumably because of decreased acid production) and giving me lots of nausea. The burning sensation is there on and off, but I have not been able to figure out the triggers. I think smoking, coffee and THINKING A LOT (mental stress) is actually kicking up the acid production. Not sure. But last week I saw an ayurvedic physician and I am on a course now. I am hoping that it will work out for me!

Esophagitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Causes Question: What caused your esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Diet Question: What diet changes have you been made to help your esophagitis?