Patient Comments: Esophagitis - Effective Treatments

Question:What treatments have been effective for your esophagitis?

Comment from: BlondeGeyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I chew 2 pieces of gum for about 20 minutes 3 times a day and this includes half hour before bedtime. Gum with bicarbonates is best. (Avoid Cinnamon gum, spearmint, peppermint too even though there are lots of claims that peppermint is soothing for esophagitis it burns me!) This gum chewing increases PH I've read/decreasing acidity levels and really seems to soothe my dry esophagus. Increasing water helps hydrate overall so that's important, but it never seemed to moisten my throat and my sinuses even felt dry making it like harder to breathe. I find when I chew the gum which I am now never without, my throat feel hydrated and soothed. Please be careful of sweeteners in gum. Try a health food store; no aspartame! Other than that, not overeating, no caffeine or tomato products or spicy foods, especially black pepper!

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

For Elle: try taking Pepto-Bismol. It coats the lining of the gastrointestinal tract and will give it a chance to heal. Worth a try.

Comment from: Elle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been experiencing problems for the past 3 months. At first it was a pain in my right side where my gall bladder is located. I had an ultra sound done and it appears normal. When I eat it hurts like it is having a spasm. Then I started developing intolerance to foods, and feeling like I can"t breathe after eating food. I had an endoscopy, several biopsies, and was diagnosed with esophagitis. Biopsies were normal. I was prescribed Prilosec, my stomach is bloated, and hurts all the time. Taking Protonix, now I can"t eat, food is repulsive, I am forcing myself to juice to get vegetables into my body. Meat, out of the question. I feel like I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I can"t sleep, my stomach burns all night, taking liquid analgesic gives me diarrhea and makes my stomach sore. Tried Gaviscon liquid and my hands felt swollen in the am. I am at my wit's end.

Comment from: jane k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been on an ayurvedic diet for 3 months and it has made a huge difference, reducing acidity in my stomach, and inflammation in my throat. I feel in better health all round and have more consistent energy than I have had for a long time. I am now not holding to it strictly but am careful to maintain the principles of eating. Cutting out all breads and processed foods, and reducing the amount of tea and coffee I drink has made a huge difference. It's certainly worth a try!

Comment from: cwlb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I'm a 36-year-old female who started having a lot of problems with my stomach in 2004. I had nausea every day for three years. I had every test possible performed on my stomach, and they found nothing. I knew something was wrong, so I went to an allergy doctor to see if I was allergic to food. I wasn't allergic to food, but I was to everything else! My allergy doctor put me on Periactin and said it would help my "sick" stomach. It did! I also started allergy shots, which I still take. I can tell you that the Periactin does help my stomach and my esophagitis, which acts up when my allergies are bothered. I can only say if you think your problems are stomach-related, but nothing is helping, you may be looking at the wrong problem. Check out the possibility of allergies. I pray that anyone with this problem finds relief!

Comment from: Believe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I know esophagitis hurts and can be very painful. I have tried everything and found nothing helps.

Comment from: Esophagus :-), 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have been diagnosed with esophagitis grade 1 about 5 years ago. Even as recently as 6 months back I had an upper endoscopy done to reconfirm the presence of esophagitis (diagnosed as linear erosions in esophagus). I was on Esomeprazole for a while but did not bother to follow up with my doctor and have been suffering almost on and off from a burning sensation. One of the main reasons for not seeing the doc was that the esomeprazoel stuff was hitting my digestion badly (presumably because of decreased acid production) and giving me lots of nausea. The burning sensation is there on and off, but I have not been able to figure out the triggers. I think smoking, coffee and THINKING A LOT (mental stress) is actually kicking up the acid production. Not sure. But last week I saw an ayurvedic physician and I am on a course now. I am hoping that it will work out for me!

Esophagitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Causes Question: What caused your esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Diet Question: What diet changes have you been made to help your esophagitis?