Patient Comments: Esophagitis - Effective Treatments

Question:What treatments have been effective for your esophagitis?

Comment from: vivi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I've been diagnosed with esophagitis due to chemotherapy. All the anti-acid medication I've been given has not helped a bit. I find that by drinking Aloe Vera juice in its pure form, 2 Tbsp. every 3-4 hours help relieve the pain and I also feel that the lining is less inflamed because I can eat some porridge or even soup..

Comment from: SueLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

The yeast infection of my esophagus occurs after every sinus infection that I have used Bactroban nasal irrigations. Symptoms always improve with Difucan. I have tried probiotics by the truck load with no relief.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am suffering from a gastric problem for the last 6 years. Doctors have conducted various tests related to this problem. All the tests are normal except the endoscopy wherein the problem of oesophagitis grande-2 has been observed by doctors. Twice during the clinical tests, the doctors are prescribing antacids to cure this problem. During this process I have lost my appetite and 15 kgs of my body weight.

Comment from: Godmadeustoheal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

My doctor prescribed Omeprazole, 20 mg (generic for Prilosec) two times per day. It is working great! I don't feel any of the discomfort I was having before, and I have only been taking it for 10 days. The course for the treatment is 30 days, and then I will be done with esophagitis forever! By the way, I am also taking antibiotics for a root canal I had done recently. Maybe the combination is helping that, too. Just food for thought!

Comment from: js, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have esophagitis. So far, none of the pills I've been given have been 100% effective. They make me feel really tired. Recently, I have started to have this excess saliva and ulcers in my mouth in the morning. I feel terrible.

Comment from: GJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have a hiatial hernia that causes acid reflux and have been taking Prilosec for 25 years. It works great as long as I take 20mg every morning. Sometimes at night I need to take 75mg of Zantac if I eat after 7pm and am refluxing and unable to sleep. The Zantac seems to boost the Prilosec and I get relief in about 20 minutes after taking the Zantac. It is a magic immediate fix. My doctor told me that this can also be caused by food intolerances or allergies. The Zantac has an antihistamine in it so I am being tested for the food allergies next week. Hope this information is helpful to some out there not finding the relief they need.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I have taken just about every pill there is for my GERD. They work for a while then they quit working. That is where I am right now. I have chest pain not heartburn, so my doctor gave me nitro. It amazes me that this works, but what I would like to know is about using the patches. My doctor mentioned it when I saw her last. I wonder if that is a good idea. I have other issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol; all of them are under control at the moment.

Comment from: momma, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My dad has been dealing with esophageal cancer for two months. I live 2000 miles away, but it seems to me when I visit, that he is dehydrated, and goofy. I am willing to go home and take care of him, but everyone tells me it is okay. He won't tell me what the stage is, but it has gone to his stomach. Will he live to see next year, or am I stupid? It spread to the tummy when he was diagnosed.

Esophagitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Causes Question: What caused your esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Diet Question: What diet changes have you been made to help your esophagitis?