Patient Comments: Esophagitis - Symptoms

Question:What were your symptoms of esophagitis?

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I have grade 3 reflux esophagitis with a hiatus hernia now. I am in constant crippling pain to the point where quite often I can't even move. In my experience it does not really seem to matter what you do or take, it hurts anyway for me, even after medication. As tempting as it is, do not drink any milk as it will make the pain worse as your stomach produces more acid. Stay clear if possible of caffeine, smoking, alcohol, spicy foods, and fruit juices as they are particularly acidic.

Comment from: Mary Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I only have a problem with esophagitis once in a while. There seems to be irritation when I take in a deep breath. No problem with swallowing or chest pain. I remember a doctor prescribing an antibiotic a long time ago and I had relief. I had aortic valve replacement in April, but the problem with my esophagus has been long term.

Comment from: Wild Willy, 75 or over (Patient) Published: December 17

I have been going to a gastroenterologist for months with my stomach and esophagitis. I am losing weight and can barely eat.

Comment from: alban, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have difficulty swallowing, food gets stuck. I often have pain in the middle of the chest.

Esophagitis - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Causes Question: What caused your esophagitis?
Esophagitis - Diet Question: What diet changes have you been made to help your esophagitis?