Patient Comments: Esophageal Ph Monitoring - Patient experience

What was your experience with esophageal pH monitoring?

Comment from: Miaxara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

They were unable to complete the first attempt at placing the esophageal pH monitor. Once they got it past my nasal cavity, it became bunched up right at my gag reflex. I started retching and could not breathe because, simultaneously, my nose started bleeding and I became so panicked that I started to cry, and my sinuses filled with snot. The procedure was aborted, because only one side of my nose was usable due to a deviated septum, and the usable side was too torn-up and irritated to proceed. I am supposed to go back in one week for a second attempt, but I am looking for an alternative method.

Comment from: Leeboy, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

I use a pH strip, I'm in the UK and buy online. It's just a strip of paper that I spit on and check the color change. I get mine from Nova Health Products, I've tried others; these are accurate.

Esophageal pH Monitoring - Use Question: Why did your doctor recommend esophageal pH monitoring?
Esophageal pH Monitoring - Limitations Question: After esophageal pH monitoring test, was your acid reflux successfully treated? Did your conditions require further testing?