- Heartburn Slideshow: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
- Digestive Myths Slideshow: Common Misconceptions
- GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
- Patient Comments: Esophageal Ph Monitoring - Patient experience
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
- What is esophageal pH monitoring?
- When is esophageal pH monitoring used?
- How is esophageal pH monitoring performed?
- How is esophageal pH monitoring used?
- What are the limitations of esophageal pH monitoring?
- Are there other ways in which pH monitoring can be used?
- What are the side effects of esophageal pH monitoring?
- Are there alternatives to esophageal pH monitoring?
Are there alternatives to esophageal pH monitoring?
There are no alternatives for obtaining the information that esophageal pH monitoring provides. Nevertheless, the presence of esophagitis visually at the time of endoscopy strongly suggests the presence of acidic reflux among patients who don't have other likely causes of esophageal pain. This may obviate the need to do a pH monitoring study.
Medically reviewed by Avrom Simon, MD; Board Certified Preventative Medicine with Subspecialty in Occupational Medicine
Medscape.com. Impact of 24-h Esophageal pH Monitoring on the Diagnosis of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Defining the Gold Standard.